Sport Billy

St. Louis Football Club Logo Vote

The cosmos is maybe more popular because its a reboot of a franchise that was popular in the 80s, it came back this year and is selling because of nostalgia, but when NYCFC plays its first season people will flock more to the premier club in the MLS rather than a lower league club cosmos

Very true, and besides the hardcore fans and hipsters, NYCFC will trump the Cosmos because of the MLS. Without the name, the Cosmos are just a second tier team without any chance of moving into the MLS. That fan base will slowly suffocate itself, which is rather unfortunate.

Really?

I doubt it. NYC FC or whatever the f you want to call them pretty much did what the NFL did in Europe – tell everyone it was NFL football and charge prices as if it was the NFL.

The Cosmos are more than nostalgia. They helped start the soccer craze in this country and they filled Giants Stadium on several occasions.

NYC FC has 1. incredibly stupid/terrible branding 2. Will never and I mean never mean as much to this City as the Cosmos did.

People in this forum are quick to support the teams that are Europosers - Real Salt Lake (just as stupid as NYC FC) and Dallas FC (or is it FC Dallas?) People on this forum say the NASL tried to "Americanize" soccer (which I see nothing wrong with.) But now the pendulum has swung too far the other way.

And folks, by the way, rules changes – and I'm not saying the NASL's rules changes made the game better – are always good for the game. Be a traditionalist all you want. Remember 1974 when the NFL changed so many rules it changed the way the game was played? Overtime, no bump and run, moving the goalposts back, etc. The NFL survived, didn't it? Change isn't necessarily evil. On the other hand, trying to be a cheap imitation is.

The cosmos is maybe more popular because its a reboot of a franchise that was popular in the 80s, it came back this year and is selling because of nostalgia, but when NYCFC plays its first season people will flock more to the premier club in the MLS rather than a lower league club cosmos

Very true, and besides the hardcore fans and hipsters, NYCFC will trump the Cosmos because of the MLS. Without the name, the Cosmos are just a second tier team without any chance of moving into the MLS. That fan base will slowly suffocate itself, which is rather unfortunate.

Really?

I doubt it. NYC FC or whatever the f you want to call them pretty much did what the NFL did in Europe tell everyone it was NFL football and charge prices as if it was the NFL.

The Cosmos are more than nostalgia. They helped start the soccer craze in this country and they filled Giants Stadium on several occasions.

NYC FC has 1. incredibly stupid/terrible branding 2. Will never and I mean never mean as much to this City as the Cosmos did.

People in this forum are quick to support the teams that are Europosers - Real Salt Lake (just as stupid as NYC FC) and Dallas FC (or is it FC Dallas?) People on this forum say the NASL tried to "Americanize" soccer (which I see nothing wrong with.) But now the pendulum has swung too far the other way.

And folks, by the way, rules changes and I'm not saying the NASL's rules changes made the game better are always good for the game. Be a traditionalist all you want. Remember 1974 when the NFL changed so many rules it changed the way the game was played? Overtime, no bump and run, moving the goalposts back, etc. The NFL survived, didn't it? Change isn't necessarily evil. On the other hand, trying to be a cheap imitation is.

Do you realize the today's cosmos arent the same as the 1980s cosmos? There is no way the new cosmos will have more of a following than NYCFC because its is natural for Americans to support the higher level team. Everything else is just you repeating the same points that have been disproven already

Let's get back on topic please.

If forced to choose between the two logos offered up at the beginning of this thread, I'd go with the shield. I like the incorporation of the river and the arch, however if given the opportunity to go off the menu I'd want the Apotheosis logo back.

I just checked out their website. Looks like they're going with the roundel.

So what should their nickname be? I'm thinking either the Steamers, the Louies, or the Blue-greens.

Since they put the city's founding date of 1764 on it (yes, a lame idea), I thought of the 64ers or just 64s. Plus I-64 runs through St. Louis (yes, a stretch) I still call it highway 40 when I'm in town (originally from STL).

Ooh, I like 64s. And that's what it would have to be; you can't really say "sixty-fourers."

Okay, SLFC now has a nickname. We are... the Chupacabras! http://stlouligans.com/?p=469

"Oh yeah, one more thing. The Chupacabra joke. Lots of people have stumbled upon us and want to know why we keep calling the new pro team the Chupacabras. Other people are worried that will actually be the new team’s name. In the words of coach Claude Anelka, “Be Calm!” We came up with the name on a podcast some time last year when the rumors started getting serious about us getting a team. We’d been through this before only to come up short. These rumors were believable, but we really did think that Pro Soccer in St. Louis was the mythical beast that you catch a glimpse of, or someone else claims to know all about, but you never get any actual proof. Kinda like a Chupacabra or Bigfoot. We decided that the perfect team name would be the Chupacabras. From then on, everytime we heard a rumor or talked to someone about the progress of the team acquisition we called it a Chupacabra sighting. We would post a picture or mention Chupacabras on facebook or twitter whenever we got some good “news”. Chupacabras just became the codeword for a USL-Pro team. When talking about it in groups or get togethers it just became an easy way to say- the USL Pro team that St. Louis might get. So that’s why we call the team the Chupacabras. We did tell the new GM Jeremy Alumbaugh at our very first meeting that he had our permission to use the name if they want. He politely declined. So, no, the team will not be named the St. Louis Chupacabras. They’re working on the name as we speak and I’m sure they’ll announce it soon. I’ve even heard that they may ask for some fan input in the name/logo department. Whatever the name of the team ends up being we will support them. And to a lot of us they will always be the Chupacabras.

Really?

I doubt it. NYC FC or whatever the f you want to call them pretty much did what the NFL did in Europe – tell everyone it was NFL football and charge prices as if it was the NFL.

And folks, by the way, rules changes – and I'm not saying the NASL's rules changes made the game better – are always good for the game. Be a traditionalist all you want. Remember 1974 when the NFL changed so many rules it changed the way the game was played? Overtime, no bump and run, moving the goalposts back, etc. The NFL survived, didn't it? Change isn't necessarily evil. On the other hand, trying to be a cheap imitation is.

I hope you realize just as many people (if not more) think "Cosmos" is incredibly stupid/terrible branding whether nostalgic or not...and we'll see about #2. Opinions are like a-holes...everyone has one.

I just checked out their website. Looks like they're going with the roundel.

So what should their nickname be? I'm thinking either the Steamers, the Louies, or the Blue-greens.

The Saints. Keep it simple. The Saint Louis Saints.

The Lous.

Here's one of their supporters:

lou-ferrigno1-copy.jpg

Really?

I doubt it. NYC FC or whatever the f you want to call them pretty much did what the NFL did in Europe tell everyone it was NFL football and charge prices as if it was the NFL.

And folks, by the way, rules changes and I'm not saying the NASL's rules changes made the game better are always good for the game. Be a traditionalist all you want. Remember 1974 when the NFL changed so many rules it changed the way the game was played? Overtime, no bump and run, moving the goalposts back, etc. The NFL survived, didn't it? Change isn't necessarily evil. On the other hand, trying to be a cheap imitation is.

Do you realize the today's cosmos arent the same as the 1980s cosmos? There is no way the new cosmos will have more of a following than NYCFC because its is natural for Americans to support the higher level team. Everything else is just you repeating the same points that have been disproven already

I wouldn't call NYC whatever the f you call them a higher-class team.

He said "higher level".

Objectively true, and not a value judgment.

Not a fan of either personally. I think the name and colors are a miss, but not surprised by either choice.

Option 1 has some potential, but it just doesn't feel there to me. But option 2 lacks anything unique about St. Louis beyond the word and the fleur de lis.

I really would have liked to seen a St. Louis flag motif OR the Apotheosis of St. Louis as one of the soccer groups a few years back was doing.

I agree. I don't really think the colors work for me. But I love the subtle arch in the first option. I just think it needs a whole lot of work to show that this team is from St. Louis. At first glance, the color reminded me of Seattle and the Fleur de Lis reminded me of New Orleans.

Again, just because NYC whatevers are in the MLS doesn't make them "higher level."

Poor marketing+stupid nickname+team that has no roots here = Lower Level

Now you're just trying to argue that up is down.

There is a soccer pyramid in this country, established and overseen by the US Soccer Federation. MLS is at the top of the pyramid, and the NASL is one level below that. Your personal preferences (and mine) do not change that one bit. Objective reality is not subject to our approval.

Now, can I respectfully suggest we get back to the subject at hand? There's a whole separate thread to accommodate your grievances against NYCFC.