MLB Alternate Jerseys

bowld

Anyone else notice how many teams this year wear their Alternate's just about every day. Dont ever remember seeing alt's used this often

Examples

Angels

Red-34 times

White-15
Grey-7

Pirates

Black-34

White-7

Grey-12

A's

Green-38

Yellow-8

White-7

Grey-5

Then we have the Marlins that never wear grey at all. I thought there was some sort of rule as to how often alts can be worn but I guess not

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can go to this site MLB homepage and click on each team to view jersey breakdowns. These 3 stood out the most but its sorta crazy that the A's for example have worn Alts in 80% of their games

You can go to this site MLB homepage and click on each team to view jersey breakdowns. These 3 stood out the most but its sorta crazy that the A's for example have worn Alts in 80% of their games

thanks for the info.........sox have only worn the black jersey 6 times.......that is normally one they love to wear all the time !

A´s must really wanna sell that new jersey to the fans !

thanks for the info.........sox have only worn the black jersey 6 times.......that is normally one they love to wear all the time !

I agree on the A's.

One thing about the OP that disgusts me, is that the Pirates have worn their primary jersey in only 19 games. They have some of the best uniform sets in the league, and they screw it up by wearing the alt too often. It's not a bad jersey, but they wear it too much.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I miss when it was exciting to see a team's alternate jersey. Some of these teams wearing them nearly every day and having 2-4 alternates really watered it down.

Well you still can get excited to see a team's alt jersey... it's just that now, some alts are white and some are gray.

At what point does the official designation get changed so that a colored jersey can be considered primary and the white/gray be considered alts?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here's a direct link to that section: http://www.sportslogos.net/uniforms/season/2014/

Or if you want an easy-to-remember address, http://www.JerseyStats.com will take you right to that page

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I hate how often so-called "alts" get worn these days. If it were me, I'd impose some NFL style humbug onto this free-for-all.

My simple "If-I-Were-King" rules...

Every team needs to designate a primary home and road uniform... primary homes should be all white, primary roads should be all gray (or gray-like color).

Alternate uniforms can only be worn once per series.

Alternates can never be worn by both teams in the same game (a huge pet peeve... navy vs black? No thanks). Home team gets first choice.

Yes, I'm a grumpy old guy.

As a Twins fan, it seems like they wear their blue navy "Minnesota" tops way too frequently. Prior to this season, they got rid of the navy "Twins" jerseys and wear just the one now. Last I knew, at least for the Twins, it was the starting pitcher who selects which uniform to wear. Wednesday and Saturday home games are designated for the 1960's cream throwbacks, every other home game it' s white or blue.

Ricky Nolasco and Phil Hughes more often then not select the blue tops. Last year, Vance Worley always selected the blue tops it seemed.

I wish they would go back to truly designating the alternates as that, an alternate jersey. Worn maybe once or twice a week.

Through 58 games, the Twins have worn their blue "Minnesota" tops 26 times.

Navy Minnesota-- 26

Cream Throwbacks -- 10

Gray -- 10

White -- 8 (not including Memorial Day and Jackie Robinson Day)

'84 Powder Blue Throwbacks -- 2

White Camo/42 -- 2 (Memorial Day/Jackie Robinson Day)

I hate how often so-called "alts" get worn these days. If it were me, I'd impose some NFL style humbug onto this free-for-all.

My simple "If-I-Were-King" rules...

Every team needs to designate a primary home and road uniform... primary homes should be all white, primary roads should be all gray (or gray-like color).

Alternate uniforms can only be worn once per series.

Alternates can never be worn by both teams in the same game (a huge pet peeve... navy vs black? No thanks). Home team gets first choice.

Yes, I'm a grumpy old guy.

No, you're not a grumpy old man. Everything you mentioned should happen.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I'll never understand the appeal to gray uniforms. History aside, it just doesn't make sense for teams to wear gray instead of their actual team colors.

Its plain, boring, universally the same for all teams, and is completely out of place for 95% of MLB color schemes.

Baseball needs a splash of color, gray and white just aren't getting it done anymore.

I'll never understand the appeal to gray uniforms. History aside, it just doesn't make sense for teams to wear gray instead of their actual team colors.

Its plain, boring, universally the same for all teams, and is completely out of place for 95% of MLB color schemes.

Baseball needs a splash of color, gray and white just aren't getting it done anymore.

White and gray look more professional. Plus grown men look ridiculous in head-to-toe color. Just look at the monochrome/leotard look in the NFL. Save that garbage for the amateur ranks. Besides, like it or not, baseball is a sport steeped in tradition.

As a Twins fan, it seems like they wear their blue navy "Minnesota" tops way too frequently. Prior to this season, they got rid of the navy "Twins" jerseys and wear just the one now. Last I knew, at least for the Twins, it was the starting pitcher who selects which uniform to wear. Wednesday and Saturday home games are designated for the 1960's cream throwbacks, every other home game it' s white or blue.

And this another peeve of mine -- throwbacks once or twice per week! I love throwback nights when they happen once or twice per year, but weekly is insane. Just bring back the retro logo/uniforms full time if that's the case.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Here's a direct link to that section: http://www.sportslogos.net/uniforms/season/2014/

Or if you want an easy-to-remember address, http://www.JerseyStats.com will take you right to that page

Thanks.......and Holy crap ! who keeps track of those things ?...hopefully a computer !

The Reds used to wear their red jersey only on Sunday home day games. I liked this because they were rare enough that you were still excited to see the red jerseys and they didn't become overworn, but during midweek day games you still got to see the white jerseys in the sun. In recent years though they've changed to wearing the red jerseys for all home day games which I don't like. I'm preparing for the eventual day when they decide like some other teams to just throw caution to the wind and wear their alternates whenever they want.

There will come a day when they finally decide to bring them on the road and that won't be a good day for me.

I'd vote for oldschoolvikings. Baseball needs some kind of structure to how often teams can wear their designated alternates. It is ridiculous that the Pirates have worn theirs 34 times already. They shouldn't wear those 34 times in a 162 game season!

PvO6ZWJ.png

White and gray look more professional. Plus grown men look ridiculous in head-to-toe color. Just look at the monochrome/leotard look in the NFL. Save that garbage for the amateur ranks. Besides, like it or not, baseball is a sport steeped in tradition.

Colored Pants are defenitely something that needs to stay in the past. But other than that, what's wrong with colored jerseys? Gray is a generic color that doesn't reflect the team in any way. Sure, baseball is "steeped" with tradition, but the thing about baseball fashion is that it's ever changing.

Throughout the decades, we've seen pullovers, zippers, baggy pants, different socks, etc. MLB teams are finally realizing that gray uniforms aren't right for baseball. No, I'm not insisting we need to see a change to appeal to a younger demographic. But there's nothing wrong with bringing color to the game, especially when every other sport uses a color vs white setup.

Archived