MLB Alternate Jerseys

bowld

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pirates alt jersey is one of the worst in MLB. The white outline is completely unnecessary. Gold stands out very well against black on its own as seen with the NOB. The giant P, while not necessarily a bad chest logo, isn't the best option. And the low number on the right side is completely amateurish, and that goes for all teams who do it, which I think the Nationals are the only other team doing it at this point. If you're gonna go chest logo on the left and number on the right, you center the number with the logo, as done by the White Sox and Reds. And if the only difference between your primary cap and alt cap is a white outline, you don't need an alt cap. They would've been better off doing a black version of the home uniforms with all-gold lettering and piping.

I agree with you about how horrible the current alternate is. I don't like the recent trend of teams going to jerseys with the cap logo. Monograms make sense for caps, because there's not much space and you have to get your point across. However, jerseys provide plenty of room to expand on your brand. There is no point in sticking with the cap logo in those cases, particularly when it comes at the expense of a great wordmark (KC and Washington).

However, I still say that the black alternate should have a white outline. I know black contrasts with yellow, but looking at the picture above, it just kinda looks flat. Give the yellow a white outline. It's not so intrusive without the black outline the current black jersey has. The worst you can say is that the white disappears against the yellow from a distance, but being a single outline, it doesn't deform the shape of the numbers significantly. That's fine; it still adds good depth up close. I feel the same way about the Canucks adding a green outline to their numbers.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Last year, the Nays wore their alts a ridiculous 87 times while sporting one of the best road jerseys in baseball only 25 times. This year, they're wearing each jersey about 1/3 of the time, which, while still too much, is far more bearable.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived