Miami Heat Identity Re-Brand

BrandMooreArt

Some quick thoughts on this, as I appreciated this too much not to respond:

What I love:

-For starters, and this is true about most anything I've ever seen you post, I appreciate the cohesiveness, imagination, attention to detail and willingness to experiment but do it in an inspired, intentional way. Always gets me excited to look at your conceptual works.

-The "HEAT" mark. When I saw the first draft browsing dribbble a while back I didn't like it. Adding the outline makes a world of difference for me. Before I got a graffiti type vibe from it. Now it's like the outline is some modern art deco neon signage but it's actually on fire. That might not make sense so simply put it went from grungy to me to sexy. Very South Beach IMO.

-The court. Might be my favorite part of it all.

-Eliminating red and using that beautiful "flame" color.

What I like:

-Using Futura. Fits it perfectly. Especially love it on the court. It plays off the HEAT mark well.

-Secondary logo and the way it's utilized on the jersey. Like that short design and it's a very Miami look with out yelling "get it? South beach!! See what I did there?!" at you.

-Home and Away jerseys. I think these would be one of my top 5 favorite sets in the league easily. The black especially tickles my fancy with the simple word mark that plays so well in the colors and with the pant stripe.

-The night life alternate is cool enough. Maybe over the top for my liking but no doubt this would sell by the bus load and it's appropriately inspired.

What I don't love, but don't dislike:

-The logo. I hate comparing logos. Saying "upgrade" or "downgrade" when a new logo comes out versus the old is rarely a productive exercise. This has an entirely different feel then the old. I don't know if I like it more or less personally, but that doesn't mean it's an upgrade or downgrade because this is part of a whole new identity. The logo fits the identity though so that is at least one positive. Very well rendered but it's far from my favorite part of this.

-That there's no yellow or orange uniform. I don't know why but I feel like I would've disliked either. The identity here seems to be built firmly on black and white with shard contrasting components. Orange or yellow unis lose that.

What I don't really care for:

-The black alt. It might be because I don't love the logo nearly as much as the wordmark or because I like the short stripe so much and I don't get to see it here. I will say in general I don't like when folks take a logo and arbitrarily rotate it to take away it's natural motion and enlarge it, crop it and make it a short/pants stripe. It's been done a lot on patriots concepts with the back of flying Elvis' hat or the titans flames similar to this. It's just always seemed lazy and unimagined to me. But that's just personal beef with that, nothing against your design.

All in all I'm a fan. It's different but it fits and conveys a message well IMO. A close second behind your red bull rebrand (one of my all time favorite identity imaginings I've seen anywhere) in terms of things you've out out. Thanks for sharing.

Fantastic work all round. The creativity, polish and thought that went into this concept is really refreshing. The home and away jerseys are a huge improvement over what the team currently wears and that flaming wordmark looks spectacular. I almost wish it was on both jerseys. As others have stated, the nightlife alternate is a fantastic touch to really tie the identity together. Great package.

What I love:

-For starters, and this is true about most anything I've ever seen you post, I appreciate the cohesiveness, imagination, attention to detail and willingness to experiment but do it in an inspired, intentional way. Always gets me excited to look at your conceptual works.

-The "HEAT" mark. When I saw the first draft browsing dribbble a while back I didn't like it. Adding the outline makes a world of difference for me. Before I got a graffiti type vibe from it. Now it's like the outline is some modern art deco neon signage but it's actually on fire. That might not make sense so simply put it went from grungy to me to sexy. Very South Beach IMO.

What I like:

-Using Futura. Fits it perfectly. Especially love it on the court. It plays off the HEAT mark well.

-Secondary logo and the way it's utilized on the jersey. Like that short design and it's a very Miami look with out yelling "get it? South beach!! See what I did there?!" at you.

-Home and Away jerseys. I think these would be one of my top 5 favorite sets in the league easily. The black especially tickles my fancy with the simple word mark that plays so well in the colors and with the pant stripe.

-The night life alternate is cool enough. Maybe over the top for my liking but no doubt this would sell by the bus load and it's appropriately inspired.

-The logo. I hate comparing logos. Saying "upgrade" or "downgrade" when a new logo comes out versus the old is rarely a productive exercise. This has an entirely different feel then the old. I don't know if I like it more or less personally, but that doesn't mean it's an upgrade or downgrade because this is part of a whole new identity. The logo fits the identity though so that is at least one positive. Very well rendered but it's far from my favorite part of this.

-That there's no yellow or orange uniform. I don't know why but I feel like I would've disliked either. The identity here seems to be built firmly on black and white with shard contrasting components. Orange or yellow unis lose that.

-The black alt. It might be because I don't love the logo nearly as much as the wordmark or because I like the short stripe so much and I don't get to see it here. I will say in general I don't like when folks take a logo and arbitrarily rotate it to take away it's natural motion and enlarge it, crop it and make it a short/pants stripe. It's been done a lot on patriots concepts with the back of flying Elvis' hat or the titans flames similar to this. It's just always seemed lazy and unimagined to me. But that's just personal beef with that, nothing against your design.

All in all I'm a fan. It's different but it fits and conveys a message well IMO. A close second behind your red bull rebrand (one of my all time favorite identity imaginings I've seen anywhere) in terms of things you've out out. Thanks for sharing.

thanks for the that detailed feedback. on the lack of colored jerseys, i did try some concepts in every color but thought they were way too loud. i actually liked the identity being built on black and white without shoving all those colors in your face, i thought that worked espacially well in the marketing concepts where the flaming ball really jumps out at the viewer.

glad the "nightlife" unis are well received too, ironically i was leaning towards that color palette as the primary in the beginning and this board talked me out of it! LOL

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

What I love:

What I like:

thanks for the that detailed feedback. on the lack of colored jerseys, i did try some concepts in every color but thought they were way too loud. i actually liked the identity being built on black and white without shoving all those colors in your face, i thought that worked espacially well in the marketing concepts where the flaming ball really jumps out at the viewer.

glad the "nightlife" unis are well received too, ironically i was leaning towards that color palette as the primary in the beginning and this board talked me out of it! LOL

It's a good color scheme for an "alt" and I hope the Miami MLS team adopts it. But I don't think it would work as a full time uniform. The black/orange/yellow is killer.

Primary- Looks very D-League to me, distorting the shape of the basketball leads to it looking like something else (nsfw) while creating an awkward overall shape.

Word Mark- Not feeling the connection between the primary and this, all marks are contained in the primary by the yellow outline, now in the word mark, these similar shapes extend in and out of the letter forms and create some troublesome tangents.

Secondary word mark- I can get behind this look / style, nice nod to the Marlins, however I'd like to see new logos/marks to go with this word mark.

Alternate logo- Works well with the Secondary word mark, still reminds me of a Hornets mark

Court- Really nice, font and alternate logo work well together, interesting palm tree idea as well

Uniforms-I like the art deco concept more than the flame word mark and new ball logo

The white shorts don't pair well together with the white jersey, and the black jersey screams D-League to me, would you really want the logo to tuck under the arm pit like that? A more decorative flame element could work better for the short with this set too. It looks strange when just truncated like that.

"Nightlife" alt- Now this is where I feel you hit a home run: cohesive, clean, while giving more of a heat feel than the other concepts.

just my 2¢

Primary- Looks very D-League to me, distorting the shape of the basketball leads to it looking like something else (nsfw) while creating an awkward overall shape.

Word Mark- Not feeling the connection between the primary and this, all marks are contained in the primary by the yellow outline, now in the word mark, these similar shapes extend in and out of the letter forms and create some troublesome tangents.

Secondary word mark- I can get behind this look / style, nice nod to the Marlins, however I'd like to see new logos/marks to go with this word mark.

Alternate logo- Works well with the Secondary word mark, still reminds me of a Hornets mark

Court- Really nice, font and alternate logo work well together, interesting palm tree idea as well

Uniforms-I like the art deco concept more than the flame word mark and new ball logo

The white shorts don't pair well together with the white jersey, and the black jersey screams D-League to me, would you really want the logo to tuck under the arm pit like that? A more decorative flame element could work better for the short with this set too. It looks strange when just truncated like that.

"Nightlife" alt- Now this is where I feel you hit a home run: cohesive, clean, while giving more of a heat feel than the other concepts.

just my 2¢

thanks man. im starting to think i should swap the colors to be pink and blue

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

While I like all of the individual elements of this concept, I don't think they work very well together. There's too much of a difference between the primary logo/"Heat" wordmark and the secondary logo/"Miami" wordmark. I feel like you need to choose one of the two routes and run with it.

If you go the flame route, I would try to rework the primary a little bit. Like MEANS said, the slightly oblong shape kind of throws it off and makes it look like a...you know. I'd also look at containing the flames within the outline, just to see how it looks.

If you go the art deco route, I would look at tweaking the shorts design. Right now it reminds me too much of New Mexico.

As always, though, this is very well thought out and the presentation is top-notch. It's clear you put a lot of work into your concepts.

I agree with MEANS on the primary logo...it'd be great for the D-League, but it's missing something that would make it a great NBA logo.

Not a fan of the basic geometric shapes in the alternate logo. Art deco or not, to complain about the dullness of the current look, then have this logo that is a generic square, a circle, and a letter seems fruitless. I certainly wouldn't put it at center court. It looks more like a street sign for a hospital than an embodiment of Miami.

The nightlife alt is pretty sweet, but could use a little pink, IMO.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived