Phillies Logo/Uniform Concept

BigRed618

I did an earlier concept for the Phils that didn't go over too well, so I went back to the drawing board and came up with this...

phi_Phillies.png

I thought about all the different looks the Phillies had in the past and why they worked. The Phils seem to have a unique vibe that no other team has. You especially saw that in their identity from the '70s and '80s, and even their current look. I tried to channel some of that retro style, yet create an identity that's entirely new. I came up with a unique font just for the wordmark, made a new "P," complete with a baseball in its hole. The primary is shaped like one of their previous logos, and features a picture, hand-drawn by me, of William Penn sliding onto a base. They have blue caps for the road because I thought the blue alt caps they wear now looked nice.

And that's pretty much it. Just more wierd ideas I thought might work. Let me know what you think.

I like the idea of putting William Penn in the logo. I thought he was rounding the base at first, so maybe you should change how his body is angled or positioned. Also, all the blues should be the same shade: either regular blue or powder puff.

It's _____________ and Toledo still sucks.

[insert time here]

I too thought William Penn was "rounding" the bases there. I see why it would be a slide though, with the circular lines behind him indicating dust flying up.

I love the incorporation of the powder blues for road games. I'd be curious to see how that looked with white outlines surrounding the team name and the uniform numerals.

One thing I dislike is the number on the home pants. I was never a fan of numbers being on baseball pants to begin with. One question though, why have it on the home pants only?

Lastly, while I do love the modernization of the font, and the "P" logo harkens back to what they had from 1970-1992, it looks a little too Indiana Pacerish.

Thank you for sharing that. I always admire those with really good artistic skills and who show ingenuity and originality. These logos and the uniform set definitely show that!

Do you have other concepts you have made, or are making?

This would be a great set for the 80's Phillies. It's too retro to work now though.

yeah... as a phillies fan, I think this would be too strange for the 21st century

tinysig.jpg

-The logo is similar to the Phillies/Flyers mashup logo that every cheap t shirt store sells, only without the bottom three wings.

-The underneath the top wing makes the whole thing look very awkward.

-There's no real reason to have the home and road be so dramatically different. IMO the full script should go on both. The P logo isn't strong enough to stand on its own.

-The logo is a neat idea, however you have a very old-school picture rendered in a very old-school used in the same logo as a very forward looking wordmark. That just doesn't work - can't have both. Decide if you're going olde timey, or contemporary.

-Sleeve trim should never ever be used with pinstriping.

-You may need white trim on the blue jersey. Not certain about that though.

I applaud you for trying to make something original, and not simply copying and pasting elements from their current set and calling it a "concept" like most others do around here. I just don't think this one is there yet. Fix the P

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This would be a great set for the 80's Phillies. It's too retro to work now though.

yeah... as a phillies fan, I think this would be too strange for the 21st century

That's actually the main theme behind the concept. I wanted to make something new that still has that funky, old-time charm that the Phils are famous for.

-The logo is similar to the Phillies/Flyers mashup logo that every cheap t shirt store sells, only without the bottom three wings.

-The underneath the top wing makes the whole thing look very awkward.

-There's no real reason to have the home and road be so dramatically different. IMO the full script should go on both. The P logo isn't strong enough to stand on its own.

-The logo is a neat idea, however you have a very old-school picture rendered in a very old-school used in the same logo as a very forward looking wordmark. That just doesn't work - can't have both. Decide if you're going olde timey, or contemporary.

-Sleeve trim should never ever be used with pinstriping.

-You may need white trim on the blue jersey. Not certain about that though.

I applaud you for trying to make something original, and not simply copying and pasting elements from their current set and calling it a "concept" like most others do around here. I just don't think this one is there yet. Fix the P

I've never been to Philly, so I wouldn't know about these t-shirts you're mentioning, but I understand what you're saying. I'll see what I can do to improve this.

Archived