NFL Training camp uniforms - Complete! All 32 teams, 6-29-14

oldschoolvikings

OK, about this same time last year I started a concept series for NFL Training Camp Uniforms. I didn't quite see it through (I never got around to the AFC West) and I kind of ran out of steam along the way. Originally my thought process was as follows:

"This idea popped into my head from a discussion in another thread. There were a few posts of a couple of teams from training camp and someone was wondering why the NFL didn’t try to market and sell the jerseys. A good question… seems like a good untapped market, not unlike baseball’s batting practice jerseys and caps. But, as is, the current state of these designs is all over the place from team to team. Some franchises obviously spend a bit of thought on the jersey while other teams seem to have bought the cheapest jerseys possible, screened on plain numbers, and called it good enough. So, if they were actually going to try to reach a paying market with these, there would need to be some thought put into them, and some reason why anybody would actually want to spend money on one.
So, my first thought was, how to make them different from game jerseys and recognizably unique as what they are… training camp jerseys. My idea is to add graphics… wordmarks and/or logos to the front of the jersey. This means shrinking down the front number, but since there aren’t press box announcers trying to quickly read anybody’s number, I think we can get away with that. Also, I’m going color on color for offense and defense whenever possible, giving fans a chance to buy a jersey in a color they otherwise couldn’t. Also, every team will have a Quarterback jersey in red or some other bright non-team color for yet another unique choice.
Here are my “rules” that I’ve set out for myself to design these.

• Each team will have three jerseys, a light color for offense, a dark color for defense, and a no-hit QB jersey.
  • Whenever possible, we will go with color on color. QB jerseys will mostly be bright red, except when the team uses red as a primary color, in which case the QB jersey will be gold. If a team has orange in their color scheme, an orange QB jersey is a possibility.
  • To keep the retail cost of the jerseys comparable to game replicas there will be no TV numbers and all stripes, logos, numbers and graphics will be screened on. Most numbers will be single color, although there will be a few two color number sets.
  • All jerseys will carry a large graphic on the upper chest of either a team logo or large college-style word mark. Front numbers will be 6 to 8 inches to make room for this graphic.
  • All teams will wear white practice pants with a simple (usually one color) stripe. Offense and defense will wear the same pants.
  • All jerseys have a space for a small ad. Currently, some teams sell ad space on their jersey and some don’t… it seems to be up to each team individually. I would make the size and placement of the ad uniform for all teams. It’s conceivable a company would pay even more for this ad placement knowing these jerseys might be bought and worn on the street.
  • No "editorializing" on a team's current uniform. All practice jerseys must be based on each teams game uniform "as is"... colors, logos, etc."

I had some fun making them, but due to some excellent feedback, my ideas changed completely during the process. So, rather than try to retool that old thread I figured since I'm more or less starting from scratch, I'd just start a new thread. If you're interested in the old designs, you can search for the original thread, but I don't want to gunk up this thread by reposting them.

As always, feedback is much appreciated, and away we go....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Normally the white unis are the offense so the qb sticks out more, just saying, and out of these i only really like the Seahawks and 49ers the other 2 look like hockey sweaters with the crest on the front and with the front numbers being so much smaller doesn't really work for practice because the coaches need to be able to quickly identify payers to make a correction or an adjustment, I feel on the 49ers make the whole oval and number bigger, Seahawks can stay the same, and the other 2 can have the logos as sholder patches with normal numbers

Could bright green be a possibility for a QB jersey? From a merchandise point of view, that would kind of make sense. I don't really keep up with the NFL, but maybe for the Seahawks, have the grey be offense, navy be defense, and the bright green be the QB color. Outside of them, I'm not sure what other team that could work for.

I've seen the offense in colored jerseys more often to be honest...

But as for the designs, these are fun. Training camp/practice uniforms are where I think it's fine to go a bit crazy with. I love the numbers in the circles on a few of the sets.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

The jersey colors should be:

Seahawks: offense navy, defense gray, qb neon green. 49ers: offense red, defense white, qb gold. Cardinals: offense cardinal, defense yellow. qb black. Rams: offense navy, defense white, qb gold. Packers: offense green, defense white, qb gold. Bears: offense navy, defense white, qb orange. Lions: offense blue, defense silver, qb black. Vikings: offense purple, defense yellow, qb black.

Acts 16:31 - And they replied: "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved, you and your household."

John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

John 14:6 - Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me."

These look more like TATC uniforms rather than training camp uniforms. These designs don't look like they'd be of practical use at a training camp. The numbers on the front are small and in some cases obscured by a huge rendering of the logo. I don't think these would be a big hit with coaches because they wouldn't be able to quickly identify a player's number from the front.

Would NFL fans want to buy a jersey that had an ad on it? Soccer fans have been accepting of ads on their teams' uniforms but I don't think it'd fly well in the NFL. What kind of material would these be made out of? Also, if these cost as much as a regular game jersey most fans would probably opt for the game jersey. If they cost less then it's perceived as being a cheap jersey. Either way I can't see fans wearing these to games or elsewhere and I don't see a big market for it.

These concepts don't "look" bad, but sometimes it's not always about the look. You have to factor in use and practicality when designing things as well. I don't see such jerseys being a big hit with the coaches or the fans. I'd just leave training camp jerseys alone and not retool them. These ideas shouldn't be totally scrapped; as I said earlier these would make excellent TATC uniforms.

As an aside I don't recommend white pants for training camp. If they were to use pants they'd be used every day (unlike game pants). Dirt, blood and other things may get on these and it'd be hard to get the stains out daily. I'd go with team colors, black or some other dark color to better conceal the stains the equipment people can't get out easily.

These look more like TATC uniforms rather than training camp uniforms. These designs don't look like they'd be of practical use at a training camp. The numbers on the front are small and in some cases obscured by a huge rendering of the logo. I don't think these would be a big hit with coaches because they wouldn't be able to quickly identify a player's number from the front.

Would NFL fans want to buy a jersey that had an ad on it? Soccer fans have been accepting of ads on their teams' uniforms but I don't think it'd fly well in the NFL. What kind of material would these be made out of? Also, if these cost as much as a regular game jersey most fans would probably opt for the game jersey. If they cost less then it's perceived as being a cheap jersey. Either way I can't see fans wearing these to games or elsewhere and I don't see a big market for it.

These concepts don't "look" bad, but sometimes it's not always about the look. You have to factor in use and practicality when designing things as well. I don't see such jerseys being a big hit with the coaches or the fans. I'd just leave training camp jerseys alone and not retool them. These ideas shouldn't be totally scrapped; as I said earlier these would make excellent TATC uniforms.

As an aside I don't recommend white pants for training camp. If they were to use pants they'd be used every day (unlike game pants). Dirt, blood and other things may get on these and it'd be hard to get the stains out daily. I'd go with team colors, black or some other dark color to better conceal the stains the equipment people can't get out easily.

I had a lot of these same concerns when I was conceiving these. a lot of it comes down to trying to balance the idea of them being practical as a practice jersey and still marketable to fans. The small front number was/is a concern, but without the large front logo treatment there really isn't much to distinguish these from walmart jerseys. Plus, I figure the coach is probably on the field level with the players and has a decent vantage point as to who they're screaming at... it would be a bigger concern for a broadcaster up in the pressbox.

As to the ads, my guess is a fan would be willing to buy a practice jersey with an ad on it... hell, some fans buy everything. Again, ads on training camp jerseys are a reality, so it was just a condition I decided to work with. Also, i'm thinking they'd be made from (relatively speaking) cheaper materials. Keep the price down for the fans and make them more practical as a practice item.

And, when I was researching this idea I looked at a ton of NFL training camp images. White pants are pretty much the default. The only team I found wearing a non-white training camp pant was the Lions who broke out black pants last year.

Love the idea of fun training camp uniforms. If baseball can do it...the NFL should jump on the idea. The merchandising alone would be huge. I think you're doing a great job. If not for training camp, I think they would be great for preseason games (with no red QB jersey of course). I know you said there would be no "editorializing" but I think it would be cool to use some of the old logos on a few of the uniforms. Like the old Packers logo (see my avatar) instead of an oval with a number in it. Or maybe just the big "G" and a number. Overall...great job! Looking forward to seeing the rest.

Archived