Game of Endzones - [UPDATE] House Martell

pianoknight

For such a powerful family, House Lannister sure has a lame slogan (or house words, or whatever you want to call it). The design is good, but there's just a bit too much black for my tastes. I'd try not getting rid of it completely, but scaling it back a ways.

QPR%20Sig.png

I'm guessing you might not have read the books or watched the show? The Lion imagery comes into play along with them "always paying debts" (ie, revenge, murder, etc).

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I'm not really a fan of the addition of black for the Lannisters. I just think there's too much of it and not enough red or gold.

What about going with vegas gold instead of the athletic gold (I know that doesn't stick with the house banner). But I think the wealth of the family and their connection with gold would allow for the substitution. I'm thinking along the lines of a helmet similar to the new Notre Dame lids but with a lion decal.

gYH2mW9.png

Yeah, I was actually thinking something similar. I'll get some revisions done and posted soon.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I'm guessing you might not have read the books or watched the show? The Lion imagery comes into play along with them "always paying debts" (ie, revenge, murder, etc).

Yeah, I watch the show but have not read the books. Taken out of context, a slogan like "We Do Not Sow" or "Ours Is The Fury" just sounds a lot cooler than "Hear Me Roar!", but you're right, it is very fitting for their house.

QPR%20Sig.png

House Lannister Lions - Major Revision

After some suggestion, I did agree that House Lannister had too much focus on black and not enough on the red and gold. GeauxColonels suggested using a Vegas gold, which I did - but I also added a pewter color similar to Tampa Bay. I felt this new color scheme worked better with the crimson and gave the set an aged look.

To complement the changes in color scheme, I've added a crown logo as a secondary to the shoulders and again in the pant stripe. It conveys more of a regal tone that you'd associate with a major House of Westeros. Lannister's House Words are also sublimated into the pant stripe.

The away set sees a major departure from BFBS and goes with Vegas Gold pants. You may notice that the helmets are near identical - the away actually has a gold facemask instead of crimson. I felt this helped the home set emphasize crimson while the away set focuses more on gold. Makes for a nice balance.

And finally, the alternate. Or in this case, a throwback. I decided to scrap the funky all-black look and opt for a throwback style, complete with a retro color scheme, simplified striping and a throwback logo. This throwback set was really fun to design and it reminded me of some of the old "yellow-out" uniforms that Iowa State would wear occasionally, with a bit of retro Redskins thrown into the mix.. Nothing crazy here, just good old stripes and block lettering, perfect for curb-stomping a conference rival in a decidedly old-school fashion.

As always, comments welcome.

z86wQLe.png

UyDgMWP.jpg

House Greyjoy Krakens

House Greyjoy of Pyke rules over the Iron Islands, a land of harsh weather and rough-hewn people, hardened by the salt of the sea. Their House sigil is a golden Kraken, on a black field - an omage to the Sunken God, who rules the seas and all those who build their lives around her waters. Because the forbidding weather makes farming almost impossible, the House motto, "We Do Not Sow," quite literally refers to their history of pirates, brigands and sea raiders.

With Black and Gold being the house's main colors, it's hard not to have an Iowa/Steelers look. The kraken features prominently into House Greyjoy's look, as tentacles stretch around the shoulders and arms and the kraken head appears on both helmet and arm.

The House words are sewn inside the collar, reminding players that this team steals victory away from their foes. The number font has a decidedly old world, sea-faring look, as if it had been eroded by the very sea itself.

The alternate set is a bit of a fauxback, using an older, Vegas-style gold instead of the athletic gold. The grey color comes from the Iron Islands with "IRONBORN" etched on the rear bumper. The alternate helmet also features an interlocking "HG" for House Greyjoy.

RIy36iy.png

UyDgMWP.jpg

The "kraken stripe" was definitely the most fun - and challenging - part of this concept. I mean, how else are you going to incorporate a giant squid monster into the set?

UyDgMWP.jpg

House Martell Sun Spears

House Nymeros Martell of Sunspear is the ruling House of Dorne. Much like Australia's east coast, the city of Sunspear is a seaside capital surrounded by hot, arid desert and craggy rocks for thousands of miles. The House Sigil, a red sun pierced by an orange (yellow) spear originally came when the Old Houses of Nymeria and Martell merged through royal marriage. Their House Words are, "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken."

Naturally, it's hard not to conceptualize a reddish orange team from the desert and not immediately think Arizona State. I definitely took some inspiration from the Sun Devils, but color wise this set is closer to Florida State. More on that in a minute.

The home set features an orange jersey with crimson and sand accents. The red sunburst is echoed in both the collar emblem as well as the sleeve stripes. While I never intended to echo the FSU redesign (especially the sleeve stripes), this concept sort of came out that way. Either way, I like how it looks even though FSU fans will probably hate the notion of a "Gator Orange" Seminole pattern. :oops:

The helmet and pants stripe both feature the spear, which is not only part of the House Sigil but the preferred weapon of most Dornishmen. The helmet also features "Red Viper" pride stickers; an homage to Prince Oberyn, one of the more pivotal figures to represent Dorne and House Martell. With the numbers, I wanted something slightly angular - essentially a traditional rounded block style font with some small accents alluding to the heat and sand of Dorne.

The away set tries to emphasize orange, will color swaps on the helmet and pants. You may notice the pants all contain an interlocking Triple U logo, representing the house motto.

Finally, the alternate set is a predominantly crimson set. It's obviously the most Seminole-y of the bunch, but I think there's enough different with the orange tones to hopefully remain unique.

Comments always welcome.

PMmqT5L.png

UyDgMWP.jpg

Archived