The Decline/Death of Selling Programs at Games

rmackman

My father and I went to Game 4 of the NBA Finals last night. He and I try to go to every major sports even that we can, especially if it involves our favorite teams. Typically we'll take a photo outside of the arena or stadium with our tickets in hand. We might take one inside. We'll buy a program, and then, if the team wins the championship, we'll grab a newspaper clipping of it. We then put the photographs, tickets, newspaper clipping, and the program together in a frame to memorialize our sports event together.

This time around, it looks like that won't be possible. The tickets were e-tickets, so no real hard copy aside from a printout with a bar code and a bunch of advertisements, and it seems that nobody sells programs anymore. I hadn't noticed this until I wanted one (for the rare time I wanted to keep it...which is probably why they don't make them anymore). It's just kind of sad that they've switched to small lineup booklets, and the overall experience is losing two of its most tangible items. The program and the hard copy ticket were really important just 10 years ago. I guess the combination of low sales and desire to go paperless is causing it to dwindle...kind of like the newspaper (which means in 10 more years I'll have to print my clipping out on a computer instead).

Just found it sad and interesting at the same time. Did anyone else here used to collect programs?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

The only time I buy programs is at Paul Brown Stadium where they sell discount programs from the previous season and I only get the games I went to. The only reason I buy these is because the covers the last two seasons are awesome.

program120810_440.jpgprogram121111_440.jpgprogram120916_440.jpgprogram131208.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

At Sens games, they still have full rather well done programs (sadly no custom front page though.) Hey used to be free, but a couple if seasons ago they started charging $3 for it, I think it might be going up to $5 next season. Nobody really gets them anymore.

When my wife and I went to see the QPR-Millwall match in London a couple of months ago, we made sure to save her paper ticket, my club membership card (which had my ticket on a barcode), and a match day program.

QPR%20Sig.png

I always try to get a game program whenever I go to a game (or, if I'm not in attendance but the game is a rare occurrence, i.e. 2006 Sugar Bowl played in Atlanta).

The local teams all have free gameday programs. They're all about the length and width of a greeting card and have a few features of the home team other than the rosters and info of the two teams playing. The Falcons and Hawks have a team yearbook they sell for like $5-10, and the Braves have a yearbook-like program they sell (three per year, usually...one every two months) for the same amount.

In Calgary, the Flames and Hitmen haven't been selling them for a couple of years now. I can't speak for the Roughnecks as I haven't been to a game in a few years and IIRC the Stampeders don't besides the free gameday lineup card. The Mustangs and Canucks (AJHL teams) might, but I can't speaks for them either.

The only sports one in Calgary that I'm aware of is the Mac's Midget.

IbjBaeE.png

I used to get programs at every game, but as others said, they got too big and expensive.

I have photo albums full of ticket stubs since 1990 and I cringed the first time I put folded printer paper in it, but now there are tons of them.

If there's time and a choice, I still get the hard copy sent, even occasionally on StubHub. The season tickets really stand out now. Not sure what I'll do when it goes full paperless... print the receipt? :)

At Sens games, they still have full rather well done programs (sadly no custom front page though.) Hey used to be free, but a couple if seasons ago they started charging $3 for it, I think it might be going up to $5 next season. Nobody really gets them anymore.

I've been wondering why they started charging for them. A few years ago Cyril Leeder (Sens president) was speaking in one of my university classes and said that the team made more money by giving them away for free than by charging for them. He explained that by guaranteeing that every one of the 18 000+ in attendance would be getting a program they were able to charge more from the advertisers compared to if only a few thousand decided to buy one. Not sure what made them change their minds.

The Mets use a monthly Magazine with a scorecard in it, they are very generic unless its a special game or somethingt and even then its just the cover that is changed.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived