Is Brown For The Padres Really a Popular Opinion?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Predictions:

The BP uniforms for the 2016 All-Star Game will be brown (AL) and yellow (NL).

In 2017 the Padres will change to blue and red.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The arm and collar stripes should be eliminated.

Just a plain white jersey? That'd almost be more bland than today.

Three of the best uniforms in all of sports, and no stripes. The Yankees should follow suit with their roads...

5080ca7868427.preview-620.jpg

2013_04_02_12_01_10.jpg

athletics.jpg

Those are great uniforms.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Just saw this today. Another good looking brown/yellow mock up for the Padres. Read Article

9750hbS.0.0.jpg

I like those. I am a fan of the color brown and I wear it frequently. I don't understand the disdain for brown.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

• 3 weeks later...

Padres host 2016 All Star game. Time to bring these beauties back from the 1978 All Star Game hosting season!

1978-Home-Jake-Roth-USA-TODAY-Sports1.jp

I've never understood the obsession with these mess of a uni set up. They couldn't even decided if they wanted the home or away name on the thing. Nevermind the arm stripes, weird brown shoulder panels, etc... and of course the dreadful taco bell cap. Just awful. '78 and '79 were almost as bad as the Pads all time worst unis in '72 and '73.

Just saw this today. Another good looking brown/yellow mock up for the Padres. Read Article

9750hbS.0.0.jpg

I like those. I am a fan of the color brown and I wear it frequently. I don't understand the disdain for brown.

For me personally it's less a distain for brown, than it is a distain for the accent yellow and later yellow and orange that they used along with some really bad uniform design choices like the afore posted '78's, the '79's, the '72s and the '80-'84s and the '72 on Taco Bell cap. That and I have a personal preference for the blue they've been using since '91. Particularly '91-'01 design.

So I figured to see how a color similar to Vegas gold paired with brown would go with the Padres. I think it looks fine but I'm still on team navy and sand

Padres.png

That's too drab, as drab as the navy they wear now. It needs a bright color (yellow) mixed in.

Padres host 2016 All Star game. Time to bring these beauties back from the 1978 All Star Game hosting season!

I've never understood the obsession with these mess of a uni set up. They couldn't even decided if they wanted the home or away name on the thing. Nevermind the arm stripes, weird brown shoulder panels, etc... and of course the dreadful taco bell cap. Just awful. '78 and '79 were almost as bad as the Pads all time worst unis in '72 and '73.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone here lobby for that style of uniform. It's the colors, but toned down. See 1969.

So I figured to see how a color similar to Vegas gold paired with brown would go with the Padres. I think it looks fine but I'm still on team navy and sand

Padres.png

That's too drab, as drab as the navy they wear now. It needs a bright color (yellow) mixed in.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone here lobby for that style of uniform. It's the colors, but toned down. See 1969.

I've seen plenty of people lobby for that style, or more specifically the 84 style. However I disagree that the mock up above doesn't have both of those colors or close to them, it's just more toned down and minimized on the yellow. But even then it's too much. The yellow and brown just doesn't work. Even the '69's and '74's which were the only decent brown and yellow unis weren't great. The '69's feel bland and like what they were, a uni thrown together for an expansion team. The '72's lose points for the taco bell cap. Best use of brown to date IMO was still the '85's. And even they had their problems (namely that in certain light they looked like pinstripped Giants unis. Which comes down to my biggest concern with brown and any accent. Brown is really easy to screw up, as the Pads have done pretty much every time they tried it. The current blue is pretty bland admittedly, but at least it's not ugly. And their initial blue uni was a gem in '91. Never understood why they moved away from it or why they don't move back to it since they insist on keeping the blue so far.

Particularly with the white. The style of those uniforms is awful, but those colors look great together with white. They only approach ugly crap when you try to go without white, whether yellow or brown is the base color. These need outlines. The hat could work with just yellow letters, but the red of the set has to balance the three colors.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I didn't see this going back a few pages here, so for a moment I thought I dreamed it, but it was in the MLB 2015 megathread. The '85 brown is back as an alt this year.

I would imagine this will make a lot of people here very happy. The Padres will wear brown pinstripe throwbacks for 5 Wednesday home games this season.

https://twitter.com/Padres/status/560560525122105344

B8eC02jCAAAGK7_.jpg

I'd take it BUT I prefer yellow to the orange. Orange and dark brown are too similar to the rival Giants.
Some of the early brown and golds look great, but these were such a guilty pleasure for me in 1985 (really guilty, thanks to what they did to the 1984 Cubs). Too bad the road pinstripes won't make an appearance. Loved the simplified cap, too.

This could be a great first step toward bringing back the brown.

85 as a alt?

YESH!

YESH!

YESH!

Not really an alt. Just a regular throwback day thing they're wearing like 4 times. But it is the first year I can recall they're wearing the same throwback on the throwback days rather than alternating through the old PCL and early MLB era brown unis. So in that regard it is more like an alt than in previous years where the brown unis were more one offs.

85 as a alt?

YESH!

YESH!

YESH!

Not really an alt. Just a regular throwback day thing they're wearing like 4 times. But it is the first year I can recall they're wearing the same throwback on the throwback days rather than alternating through the old PCL and early MLB era brown unis. So in that regard it is more like an alt than in previous years where the brown unis were more one offs.

I love the 85 set. So I don't acre if it's just for 4 games.... seeing those beauts is gonna be nice!

Archived