Is Brown For The Padres Really a Popular Opinion?

85 as a alt?

YESH!

YESH!

YESH!

Not really an alt. Just a regular throwback day thing they're wearing like 4 times. But it is the first year I can recall they're wearing the same throwback on the throwback days rather than alternating through the old PCL and early MLB era brown unis. So in that regard it is more like an alt than in previous years where the brown unis were more one offs.

I love the 85 set. So I don't acre if it's just for 4 games.... seeing those beauts is gonna be nice!

I would agree that they were the best looking of the brown unis the Pads wore even if I'm partial to their successor blue unis from '91. Also a plus is that they introduced the now standard larger interlocking SD which was probably the single largest improvement ever made to the Pads identity.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

IMG_20150218_155918.jpg

Matt Kemp modeling brown and yellow...?

For real? Where'd you find this photo?

Wish he didn't have his hand there. It would confirm if it was an on field or simply a fashion cap. I suspect it's the latter. Kemp was quoted the other day as saying he liked the brown look (and any look Tony Gwynn wore).

I'm thinking the Padres will continue to wear the navy/ white regularly. They can tease and wear the Brown throwback just to sell merchandise...and keep selling the regular stuff too. You can make more $ by selling both. Heck, they will need to sell lots of gear to pay for the new $100 payroll.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

IMG_20150218_155918.jpg

Matt Kemp modeling brown and yellow...?

For real? Where'd you find this photo?

Wish he didn't have his hand there. It would confirm if it was an on field or simply a fashion cap. I suspect it's the latter. Kemp was quoted the other day as saying he liked the brown look (and any look Tony Gwynn wore).

There's probably a reason New Era released the photo with his hands where they are. Create a little suspense. I'm guessing they took more than one photo with him in that hat.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'm thinking the Padres will continue to wear the navy/ white regularly. They can tease and wear the Brown throwback just to sell merchandise...and keep selling the regular stuff too. You can make more $ by selling both. Heck, they will need to sell lots of gear to pay for the new $100 payroll.

But I don't think it's like that. Some people want them in brown and yellow, some in brown and orange, some in navy and orange, and some want navy and sand or a proposed new combo. I don't think anybody likes the current Padres set. If they put out brown merchandise for the fans who want that, and '90s merch for fans who want that style, people are doing to buy much, much less of the current gear. And as I've said before, there's nothing inspiring about the current set that would make it sell nationally. Outside of people whose initials are SD, nobody is going to buy a navy and white Padres hat. They'll buy a Yankees, Tigers, or even Rays/Red Sox/Braves et al. I think the Padres would sell much more gear by going to brown and yellow in particular. It gives people a reason to buy a Padres hat.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

But I don't think it's like that. Some people want them in brown and yellow, some in brown and orange, some in navy and orange, and some want navy and sand or a proposed new combo. I don't think anybody likes the current Padres set. If they put out brown merchandise for the fans who want that, and '90s merch for fans who want that style, people are doing to buy much, much less of the current gear. And as I've said before, there's nothing inspiring about the current set that would make it sell nationally. Outside of people whose initials are SD, nobody is going to buy a navy and white Padres hat. They'll buy a Yankees, Tigers, or even Rays/Red Sox/Braves et al. I think the Padres would sell much more gear by going to brown and yellow in particular. It gives people a reason to buy a Padres hat.

Don't see why it would give them a reason to buy a brown Padres hat any more or less than they have currently. I mean it's not like any of the 5 styles of brown Padres caps they wore from '69-'90 are hard to find.

Don't see why it would give them a reason to buy a brown Padres hat any more or less than they have currently. I mean it's not like any of the 5 styles of brown Padres caps they wore from '69-'90 are hard to find.

A correct Taco Bell cap in brown and yellow (no orange) is impossible to find, not that I'm suggesting they go back to those.

Hey, I would love some color injected into baseball (or all sports in general) Univ of Pittsburgh Panthers fans wanted the throwback script unis and colors forever. But the (now fired) AD kept the schools teams in the navy/ athletic gold and barely sold the throwback stuff, just to make extra $. I'd love to see the Pads in Brown / Yellow FWIW.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

New brown caps in a new style (i.e. not the same block letters they used back then) would sell very well, I think. But more to what I was saying, I think going to brown and yellow would help their sales nationally. Sure, there are a few brown caps available online, but the few times I looked Hatworld only had brown and orange ones, not brown and yellow. Still, there's a difference between a cap that the team wore years ago and a cap that's getting exposure on SportsCenter on a regular basis. Going back to brown would give people in Kansas or Vermont reasons to buy a Padres hat, because I don't think there's any reason at all anybody who isn't a Padres fan would buy a current hat now.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Hey, I would love some color injected into baseball (or all sports in general) Univ of Pittsburgh Panthers fans wanted the throwback script unis and colors forever. But the (now fired) AD kept the schools teams in the navy/ athletic gold and barely sold the throwback stuff, just to make extra $. I'd love to see the Pads in Brown / Yellow FWIW.

I know what you mean, but I'm just saying that I don't imagine they sell boatloads of the current gear as is.; not enough to keep it just so they could justify people buying two sets (current and brown). If anything, it would be a more pronounced and more embarrassing version of what's been happening in Milwaukee, where the crowd is decked out in royal blue and yellow but the team is wearing navy and gold.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

That's like... 3 caps! :)

I know what you mean, but I'm just saying that I don't imagine they sell boatloads of the current gear as is.; not enough to keep it just so they could justify people buying two sets (current and brown). If anything, it would be a more pronounced and more embarrassing version of what's been happening in Milwaukee, where the crowd is decked out in royal blue and yellow but the team is wearing navy and gold.

Except that's not what is happening in San Diego. The crowds do have some folks in brown, but by and large the majority are wearing the current stuff. And polls they've run regarding the whole uniform history for example when the little league teams pick which Padres jerseys they'd like (which always includes an equal number of blue, brown and the current camo, always seems to favor the more recent blue designs). I truly believe the Padres brown issue is one of the best examples of a vocal and passionate minority overwhelming the conversation.

Archived