Is Brown For The Padres Really a Popular Opinion?

Brown, gold & some orange. Yes, bring it back! Not red, not green, this is the Padres, not a Christmas tree or a traffic light.

I love teams that have/had UNIQUE looks (Astros - orange, Marlins - teal, Padres - brown, Athletics - green, Pirates - yellow/gold, Phillies - burgundy). MLB needs more unique looking teams. Tired of 6 red hats, and most of the rest black or dark blue....Padres brown yes yes YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't speak for Padres fans, in fact I've never met a Padres fan in real life...but I think they're making a huge mistake not using brown. Whether it's brown with yellow or orange, either combo blows the boring, generic look they're sporting now oout of the water.

I do love their camo alts though.

87Redskins.png

They need to do the cookies and cream colors. Maybe even orange as an accent like the Browns. As long as brown and yellow is gone for good

IMO:

SanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1989.jpg

Bring these back with a few tweaks. It is the best look fior the team, and is unique in baseball.

too much like the old Giants

It was very confusing as a child as those uniforms (SD/SF) were almost indistinguishable from each other on a fuzzy 19" color tv.

I remember that issue too. :D

I'd vote for this:

Garvey+.jpg

mlb_throwback_12.jpg

87Redskins.png

I think that a lot of the "bring back the brown" (And yes, I am one of those people) comes with "their current look is boring."

For me, they're two completely separate issues. The brown and gold is gorgeous, and their current look is generic, corporate ad-agency crap.

Even if the second half of that sentence wasn't true, the first would be.

has anyone ever proposed the idea of the padres wearing brown and white/cream. and that's all?

think red wings, maple leafs, yankees, jets, etc. but with brown.

i think that would look fantastic. especially with a very very subtle "cream" color in place of white.

has anyone ever proposed the idea of the padres wearing brown and white/cream. and that's all?

i think that would look fantastic. especially with a very very subtle "cream" color in place of white.

After seeing this comment, I decided to do a quick, quick mockup of what it could look like with only Brown and their current set:

vj5hXuZ.png

HIE33Iy.png

OasYYpO.png

Forgot to include the subtle hint of cream, though, but you should get the gist.

After seeing this comment, I decided to do a quick, quick mockup of what it could look like with only Brown and their current set:

vj5hXuZ.png

HIE33Iy.png

OasYYpO.png

Forgot to include the subtle hint of cream, though, but you should get the gist.

For some reason the Brown looks like a really dark maroon.

This uniform...

SanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1969.jpg

...is one of the ten best in the history of major league baseball (IMO of course).

First post!

As a Dodgers fan, I LOVE these jerseys...just as they're pictured here. The only update? Use the 1989 cap and add names on the back. That's all that's needed.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

I think I've posted at least twice in the unpopular opinion thread that I don't like the brown/yellow combo at all. That being said, I think brown and powder blue, a la Tufts University, would look nice, unique, and bring in brown without it being, in my opinion that apparently nobody agrees with here, a dated combo with yellow.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I think I've posted at least twice in the unpopular opinion thread that I don't like the brown/yellow combo at all. That being said, I think brown and powder blue, a la Tufts University, would look nice, unique, and bring in brown without it being, in my opinion that apparently nobody agrees with here, a dated combo with yellow.

I would totally be okay with a brown/light blue combo. Anything is better than their current overused navy and white.

There are very good arguments for and against brown. However, I can't see how anyone can look at what they have now and say "yeah, I'm completely satisfied with this."

Couple problems with the late '80s uniforms:

1) road pinstripes, ew

2) the script is in a tradtional serif typeface while the NOBs/numbers are in something that looks like Impact, and it clashes very badly to me

I do like the road monogram, though. Tampa Bay should bring it back.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

All that matters is what is more marketable and what is going to sell. I'm assuming the Padres have done the research and have determined that brown is the inferior color in those categories. Sure, any form of brown would make the Padres look "unique" and in our eyes "better", but I am not exactly sure those qualities that we see are the same as the majority.

Especially with this forum, where our interpretation of what a nice jersey is versus what the majority of that fan base is going to buy is completely different. Even if all of us have very different opinions.

Personally I believe that a nice depp chocolate brown paired with either an old gold/khaki tan color or sky blue could really be used to the Pads advantage. Or combine all three as in the scheme of this tie:

SB1447_md_BNT.jpg

All that matters is what is more marketable and what is going to sell. I'm assuming the Padres have done the research and have determined that brown is the inferior color in those categories.

Remember what happens when you assume... ;)

I think an alternate explanation, equally plausible, is that they think both color schemes are marketable and they can get fans to "double up" by offering the Gap-friendly navy in addition to the team's traditional color scheme. Which is exactly what the Brewers have done.

Archived