Is Brown For The Padres Really a Popular Opinion?

All that matters is what is more marketable and what is going to sell. I'm assuming the Padres have done the research and have determined that brown is the inferior color in those categories.

Remember what happens when you assume... ;)

I think an alternate explanation, equally plausible, is that they think both color schemes are marketable and they can get fans to "double up" by offering the Gap-friendly navy in addition to the team's traditional color scheme. Which is exactly what the Brewers have done.

I'm assuming that changing the Padres look entirely (no matter what the change is too) would cause for a huge increase in merchandise sales. I guess it's up to te Padres to pick out which decision will make them more money, bottom line.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure, they'd get a short-term bump from any change regardless of what it is.

But the Brewers have decided that being all things to all people will maximize their revenue. Not much of a stretch to think the Padres have run a similar analysis, considering they're pursuing the same course in the clubhouse shop.

I agree with Gothamite about what is most likely their shrewd marketing scheme.

As much as I personally would enjoy a modernized reprise of the 1969 set, this is how I see it: the Padres used to play at San Diego/Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium, which was in Mission Valley. That made the color scheme (and the "mission bell" shape of the gold panel on the cap) perfectly appropriate. But now, they play downtown in the Gaslamp Quarter right next to San Diego Bay, and as a result a more marine-like scheme with blue makes more sense.

That being said, the execution of the current set is lacking. They need a light blue, and maybe of touch of that khaki/sand color they used to use to put the "sand" back in "SanDiego." But they need to walk a fine line to make it their own and avoid copying the Rays with another simple double blue.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

has anyone ever proposed the idea of the padres wearing brown and white/cream. and that's all?

think red wings, maple leafs, yankees, jets, etc. but with brown.

i think that would look fantastic. especially with a very very subtle "cream" color in place of white.

After seeing this comment, I decided to do a quick, quick mockup of what it could look like with only Brown and their current set:

vj5hXuZ.png

HIE33Iy.png

OasYYpO.png

Forgot to include the subtle hint of cream, though, but you should get the gist.

For some reason the Brown looks like a really dark maroon.

Me too, and I'm seeing the Hershey Bears here.

87Redskins.png

I would love to see the return of brown to the Padres, but I don't think it's complete without yellow. I was not a huge fan of the switch to brown and orange in 1985 as I felt the Padres signature look was brown and yellow, and the look they had right before they added orange to the brown and yellow mix was their best look.

I like the idea of a simple Brown/(off-)White scheme, but I'd like to see the Padres go with something like a Brown/Light Blue/(insert Gold or Orange) scheme. Heck, one could look marine, keeping the GBL's San Diego Surf Dawgs in mind, just replace Navy with Brown:

143px-San_Diego_Surf_Dawgs_Main_Logo.png

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

So I noticed in "Uniforms That Make you Angry" a user "fixed" what someone had said about not liking the Padres' current look, and I was wondering... Do only the uniform obsessed, the non Padres fans want the Padres to go back to brown? How many people actually like the Padres in their current look?

YES, BROWN IS POPULAR: UNIQUE AND BRAND-APPROPRIATE!!!

I'd like to see the Padres pair the Brown from their past with the Powder Blue and Sand/Tan hues that they've used in more recent years. I think Brown as the primary color, Powder Blue as the secondary color, and Sand/Tan as the tertiary/accent color would be both unique and attractive.

has anyone ever proposed the idea of the padres wearing brown and white/cream. and that's all?

think red wings, maple leafs, yankees, jets, etc. but with brown.

i think that would look fantastic. especially with a very very subtle "cream" color in place of white.

After seeing this comment, I decided to do a quick, quick mockup of what it could look like with only Brown and their current set:

vj5hXuZ.png

HIE33Iy.png

OasYYpO.png

Forgot to include the subtle hint of cream, though, but you should get the gist.

For some reason the Brown looks like a really dark maroon.

Me too, and I'm seeing the Hershey Bears here.

I like the concepts but they need the orange and yellow in "Padres" and "San Diego" like they had in '84.

The monks the team was named after wear brown ropes. Too many teams in MLB are blue or red its nice to have a unique color like Brown in the mix. I would not want to see dozens of teams going brown, but for the Padres it fits.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Personally I love the idea of Padres in brown. When paired with yellow and/or orange (and/or light blue) it looks really nice and some great brown Padres concepts have been made on the boards here. However, all of the brown uniform sets they actually wore were mediocre to hideous, design wise not color wise. My opinion of course, but I think this is part of why a lot of people dislike it.

Also, a large percentage of people are inherently immature about certain things. And unfortunately, until the human race starts defecating a different color, brown won't be the most marketable.

What's weird is I was a young, immature kid when the Padres wore brown and yellow and the defecation argument never came up among me or my friends. It was even used by the local Little League all-stars and I never heard anything of the sort, even from opponents.

In fact, I don't think I ever heard it until I came here decades later, so I don't think I see it as a valid argument. Or that red and yellow is "too McDonalds" for the Rockets, since when I was a kid that chain's employees wore... brown and yellow.

I honestly can't see why Brown wouldn't be a very popular option for the Padres. There are too many Blue teams in baseball. To see one team using the unique color scheme of Chocolate Brown and Gold would be a breath of... well, I guess it wouldn't exactly be fresh air if you folks get my drift. hahahahahaha :P Nevertheless, Brown and Gold in my opinion is a way underrated color scheme. I know that crap is Brown and piss is yellow but come on guys, just because brown is the color of crap and yellow is the color of piss doesn't mean they're bad colors for a Sports team to use. Yellow and brown are both nice colors. As a color scheme, if the Padres started using it again, they would be one of the most, if not, the most unique team in Baseball. I hope they pull out those old late 70's Brown and Gold jerseys with the yellow pants and bring it back on a full time basis. I can't be the only one who thinks those are awesome. Even the Brown, Gold, and Orange ones from the 80's were pretty good too. In my opinion, the Padres should definitely be wearing Brown and Gold.

With the friar mascot and their history I can't think of any team, short of the Cleveland Browns, that is more meant to be using brown. I've said it before whenever this subject comes up but I feel that brown and yellow are much more loved by Padre fans than navy. I was born and raised there and have countless friends and family still living in the area. I honestly don't even think it's close.

Hell, at this point I'd be thrilled if the Padres brought back their 1969 uni as a regular alternate. Much as I rag on the Brewers for their half-hearted move, at least that lets the fans see their preferred old look on the field from time to time.

And what is it with San Diego teams and navy? Charger fans seemed to clearly prefer the Columbia blue, yet the Spanos family wouldn't let go of "their contribution" to the franchise.

• 1 month later...

Here's a piece on si.com

I am sure a lot of us could nitpick a few things he said. It's not a particularly great article--plus I know our resident Pads' fans dispute his implication that a large number of fans want the brown. I guess I am putting here because finding a uniform-related story on the front of si.com's MLB page is rare.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/07/25/san-diego-padres-uniforms-lee-jenkins-my-town-my-team

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived