TOPPS adds Sabermetric Stats to Cards

OnWis97

This is a sign that the old days are coming to an end. It's very interesting.

http://mlb.si.com/2014/06/13/topps-baseball-cards-go-to-war-heres-how-they-could-be-even-better/

Obviously, RBI, batting average and some of the other old-school stats are quite flawed. But I admit it, I don't know what most of the stats on the new card (pictured in the link) even mean.

It's fascinating to me because we keep trying to find better ways to evaluate ballplayers but you can always pick apart the effectiveness of a stat or data collection method.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Series 2 definitely looks cleaner then Series 1 did. Topps was gonna strain some eyesights with all those stats on a card, especially if it was a Todd Helton or Barry Zito who's been around awhile. Of course, I think this is partially Topps' realizing that far more adults collect cards then kids. Your average 10 year old isn't the kind to know what OPS or WOPA is.

That being said, I'd really love for Panini to try and work PER and win shares into next years NBA set. You could tack them onto the end of the card and not really make a difference, as basketball cards have less stats on them compared to baseball cards.

WAR is the dumbest stat in the history of sports. The Mets signed Chris Young instead of Nelson Cruz based on WAR and he :censored:ing sucks.

Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it sucks...

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

Is there a database anywhere that shows the basic card designs for Topps, Donruss, and Fleer for every year? I used to collect all sets up until around '94 because there just started being too many series put out by each manufacturer and it was too much to keep up with. There was the basic line, the premium line, the ultra premium line, the special-edition line, etc. Just like with uniform concepts, I used to make "concept" card designs, based on each manufacturer's style (so my Topps design actually could have been a Topps design, and so on. Some companies were more progressive than others.)

Hell, I remember when some sets I had were "valued" at >1k, and individual cards at >$200. Now they're just sitting in cardboard boxes at my parent's basement, worth about as much as my OCZ stock.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It really was a great, innocent, multi-generational hobby that got ruined by both the greed of collectors and the dilution created by the industry itself.

We used to sit in the back of the bus, each of us with a stack of '86 Topps cards in a rubber band, and just trade them with little knowledge of who we were even trading. For some reason, I wanted to collect "Marine ers" (which is how I thought it was pronounced back then, because living in an NL town without cable I literally never saw them).

Think anyone is going to wrap rubber bannds around their 50mm thick super-glossy card that was made from pieces of the player's jersey and/or jock and came in a pack of 5 that cost $2?

I feel like Charleton Heston at the end of PotA - "you maniacs - you blew it all up!"

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

BtPotA, EFtPotA, BFtPotA, and CotPotA are pretty bad too.

Moments like this make me glad that I choose to collect 1980s/90s cards over today's cards. I miss the days (even though I wasn't around back then) when Topps had classic card designs and Upper Deck still made baseball cards. Upper Deck made holographic cards durring the 90s, which are sadly now a thing of the past (holographic cards, not the 90s).

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

The ones that you moved the card and could see the player move? I have a bunch of those somewhere.

The ones that you moved the card and could see the player move? I have a bunch of those somewhere.

Yeah, they seemed cool when I was 9, but I can see now why they never caught on.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived