Most/Least successful Uni/Logo overhauls

Unocal

When a team changes the logo and/or uniform, it can go either way- fans love/hate the change and it either does very well in sales/popularity or not.

What are some examples of this you recall?

For me, some NBA ones stand out.

Positive #1- 1992 Suns.

Some forget that Barkley wore the old uni in the preseason, so it's not like we knew what was coming. Literally.

barkley_index_400x260.jpg

268774.jpg

The new logo and uniform were unveiled on opening night. The famous staburst logo/uni.

barkley93si-1.jpg

It became a hot seller and it was good timing- with the Lakers in decline, Phoenix became the chic Western Conference team.

Positive #2- 2001-02 Mavericks.

Some forget that the Cuban era and the 50 win playoff streak actually started in the last year of the old unis.

tumblr_ltxwct52Kf1qm9rypo1_1280.jpg

This, like the Suns, made the team come off a lot cooler. Didn't hurt that Nash/Nowitzki were thriving, giving these new duds hot-selling names for jersey sales.

Negative #1- 1995 Cavaliers.

Like the Suns/Mavs, new arena = new look. But this one wasn't seen quite the same.

mark-price.jpg

It didn't help that they lacked a big-name to sell the jerseys like Barkley, or even Malone/Stockton with the Jazz mountain unis.

Negative #2- 1999 Atlanta Hawks.

The Hawks previous unis were ones that most remember- the PacMan logo, the mid-90s one, and the bird uni.

wilkins_240_hawks.jpg

2172-129Fr.jpg

hawks-mutumbo-90s-nba.jpg

Again- new arena, new look. But it just fell flat IMO.

p1_terry_jason.jpg

And the lack of success makes it more startling-

With the PacMan logo uni- made the playoffs all but twice from 1983-1992.

With the other uni and then the bird one- 7 straight playoff appearances.

With the 1999 uni: never made the playoffs.

Switched from yellow/red to red/blue- seven straight playoff appearances.

Is it a coincidence that an era of bland jerseys had the least success compared to others?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll just leave this here:

21193.jpg

27836.jpg

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Can't argue with the success of the Patriots after these unis (aside from the 5-11 season the first year they wore them in 2000)

Brady-throw.jpg

The also weren't too bad with the previous uni's, but they weren't around that long, only 95-99 with a SB appearance

drew-bledsoe.jpg

The Pats went through like 4 uniform changes during the early 90's.

andre-tippett.jpg

andre_tippett_1993_09_12.jpg

imgdyn.jpg

The TWO previous Dallas jersey sets were top-tier.

preview.jpg?

preview.jpg?

The thing with the 2007-08 jersey overhaul- their initial white jersey was perfectly fine IMO:

Turco.jpg

If they just did a black version of THAT, it wouldn't have been as bad.

Positive #1- 1992 Suns.

Some forget that Barkley wore the old uni in the preseason, so it's not like we knew what was coming. Literally.

barkley_index_400x260.jpg

The new logo and uniform were unveiled on opening night. The famous staburst logo/uni.

Not arguing that it wasn't a successful rebrand, but the identity was unveiled long before opening night - the logos were released straight after the regular season: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=RvdFAAAAIBAJ&sjid=uh0NAAAAIBAJ&pg=6245,3455156&dq=phoenix+suns&hl=en

- with the unis being unveiled a short time afterwards.

The TWO previous Dallas jersey sets were top-tier.

preview.jpg?

preview.jpg?

The thing with the 2007-08 jersey overhaul- their initial white jersey was perfectly fine IMO:

If they just did a black version of THAT, it wouldn't have been as bad.

The problem with the two jerseys above is that the green is practically black. As much as I liked the all star ripoff set, the current jerseys blow them out of the water.

I have a feeling the current Sharks jerseys will be in this thread in a few years.. With another playoff choke and the jerseys already looking bad and the team on the decline, it will be a "bad" era if jerseys.

I would say when the Devil Rays became the Rays in 2008. Went from 0 playoff appearances in 10 years as the D-Rays to 4 playoff appearances in 6 years as the Rays including the AL pennant in 2008.

ept_sports_mlb_experts-647761667-1272900

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

I would say when the Devil Rays became the Rays in 2008. Went from 0 playoff appearances in 10 years as the D-Rays to 4 playoff appearances in 6 years as the Rays including the AL pennant in 2008.

Aesthetically, there are at least a few of us on here (myself included) that think this is a downgrade, specifically in the color department.

While I'm at it...

vaughn.jpg

PHP4E176AFFA5E93.jpg

The AZ Cardinals logo update was one of the most positively received changes in this board's history. Uniforms... not so much.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Aesthetically, there are at least a few of us on here (myself included) that think this is a downgrade, specifically in the color department.

While I'm at it...

vaughn.jpg

PHP4E176AFFA5E93.jpg

I totally agree with you about the Rays about the uniform downgrade as it looks kinda bland. Though as long as the Rays stay competitive in the AL East, it will be a while until they rebrand. There is much more merchandise on the current look (winning helps too B) ) than the old Devil Rays era. I also agree with the Angels as well. They went from a losing team with a terrible look (don't even try bringing up the periwinkle sleeves on that blue alt) to a winning franchise with a World Series title and sharp uniforms to boot (the red alt, not so much :wacko: ).

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Archived