Most/Least successful Uni/Logo overhauls

Unocal

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Presentation1logo_opt.jpg

UConn basketball (both genders) were a great and storied team when they had the panting husky to begin with (though the men's missed the dance in 2013 because of sanctions), they rebranded in the 2013-14 academic year to the fierce husky, and they did the gender sweep in basketball like they did in 2004.

I still prefer the panting husky

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

this is such a hard thing to measure because a rebrand is usually a sign of change in the organization. new owner, coaches, a relocation, etc. these things effect the team greatly, so if a team starts winning after a rebrand (Broncos, Buccaneers) the Return on Investment there is going to be different than a team who rebrands and starts doing worse. merch sales will go up initially for everyone, but people like winners and no matter what the team looks like, a winner will sell and their identity will build value that people will associate with winning, placing a great, often emotional, value on that identity. the perfect example is the Dallas Cowboys. they've been a mediocre team for 20 years, yet that identity and team is still one of the most loved in America

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

The Pistons were the first team I thought of when I saw this thread.

Back in the 1980s up to 1995-96, they had this simple, yet classic look:

Pistons1_zps79542f40.jpg

In 1996-97, the "Teal Era" began. New logo, new colors, new font, new jerseys. Downgrade, IMO. Good look for an expansion team at the time, but not for a franchise that had been around since 1941:

Pistons2_zpsaa9fcacc.jpg

Then in 2001-02, the Pistons went back to the red-white-blue color scheme and an updated version of the Bad Boys look. Modern, but with a nod to the past. Upgrade, IMO:

Pistons3_zps9be22fe5.jpg

Didn't really hate the "horsepower" logo--I bought a shirt with that logo on it when I was in high school. I just thought the Bad Boys uniforms (and now the current set) were much better.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

From

bill-parcells.jpg

And having the worst stretch of seasons in Jets history under Kotite, to finally showing improvement in 1997 under Parcells. And in 1998

1998jets.jpg

Winning a rare division title, and an AFC Title appearance in the 1st year of these jerseys.

The Jets fauxbacks looked so good back then. Too bad the striping gets messed up on the new template, as well as the 15 diffferent shades of green.

Despite their first Lombardi, big downgrade.

This makes iteasy to spot the bandwagon fans, so many here on the east coast...they all have the brand new look, nothing vintage,

Russell+Wilson+St+Louis+Rams+v+Seattle+S

richard-sherman-ankle-injury.jpg

^This is a a downgrade from:

Seahawks-sign-RB-Lynch-to-four-year-deal

sea-02-11-allgreen-danielgluskoter-675x3

And all looks since are a downgrade compared to:
Jim-Zorn-and-Largent.jpg

seahawks-cortez.jpg

87Redskins.png

They won the titles in their pinstripe unis

No they didn't. The Rockets won both NBA Championhips in their classic red and gold uniforms. They switched to the pinstripes the season after their second title.

Despite their first Lombardi, big downgrade.

This makes iteasy to spot the bandwagon fans, so many here on the east coast...they all have the brand new look, nothing vintage,

Russell+Wilson+St+Louis+Rams+v+Seattle+S

richard-sherman-ankle-injury.jpg

^This is a a downgrade from:

Seahawks-sign-RB-Lynch-to-four-year-deal

sea-02-11-allgreen-danielgluskoter-675x3

And all looks since are a downgrade compared to:

Jim-Zorn-and-Largent.jpg

seahawks-cortez.jpg

I would, obviously, agree with all this, but to me (probably an unpopular opinion) the last set you posted is even a slight downgrade from this...

ap090814082914.jpg?w=620&h=929

IMO the Seahawks are just like the Jaguars. Had it right at the start and every change since has been a downgrade.

The Orlando Magic unis that SFGiants58 mentioned- that first one was not only of a mediocre era, but it was also an unfortunate switch for a team that until then had some nice unis:

The classic Shaq/Penny pinstripes and even the 2000-2003 T-Mac look.

120px-Chelsea_Crest_1986-2005.png

to

chelsea.png

Pretty much coincided with Chelsea becoming a more global club and winning a lot more cups than at any other point in their history.

I was a fan when they had that hideous crest. I just couldn't bring myself to buy any merchandise with that abomination on it so it was definitely a welcomed change.

The Houston Rockets win two titles in their classic jerseys...then proceed to change to the pinstripe things. Downgrade.

They won the titles in their pinstripe unis

Rockets downgrade was the first one that came to mind for me, and no, they did not win anything in the pajamas. The 2 titles were the last 2 years of the red/yellow look.

Archived