Most/Least successful Uni/Logo overhauls

Unocal

This one might be debatable.

The New Jersey Nets were arguably the worst franchise in the NBA for decades. From draft busts to awful coaches, these were their uniforms.

nba_g_calipari01_576.jpeg

The overhaul in 1997 took a while to get rolling, but in 2002 everything changed when the franchise became a dominant force in the East throughout the 2000s with Jason Kidd. Back to back Finals appearances, 4 division championships, and 6 consecutive playoff appearances. 5 in which they at least made the 2nd round.

tumblr_mdlmb9MlBZ1qd6wt5o1_1280.jpg

All were still an upgrade from these...

adedb4f447d7e19eab9667be4a4021b21.jpeg

Everything the Nets have had are better then those.

Those are one of the worst uniform sets of all time in any sport.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

barkley_index_400x260.jpg

268774.jpg

The new logo and uniform were unveiled on opening night. The famous staburst logo/uni.

barkley93si-1.jpg

It became a hot seller and it was good timing- with the Lakers in decline, Phoenix became the chic Western Conference team.

Chic be damned...I absolutely loved the Suns' Alvin Adams/Paul Westphal-era jerseys...

In the interest of not making my post too long, I limited myself only to football teams.

Most successful:

1995-96 Eagles- I'm mixed on this- on the one hand the Eagles previous uniforms were amazing, definitely all-time greats. But on the other hand, I am a HUGE fan of their current uniforms, I think they're the 2nd best in the league (2nd to Indianapolis)

1996-97 Bucs- going from the creamsicles to the uniforms they eventually won a Super Bowl in was a great decision

Least successful:

1977-78 Jets- leaving the old uniforms to the green helmets with the J jet was a terrible idea, going back to the old ones 20 years later was a great decision

1996-97 Broncos- leaving the Orange Crush uniforms for the new ones was terrible, don't care that they won 2 SBs in it- that is unrelated to how good or bad the uniform looks

1998-99 Oilers/Titans- the rebrand does make sense given the fact that Texas is associated with oil and Tennessee is not, but the uniforms themselves took several steps backward when the Tennessee Oilers became the Tennessee Titans

2001-02 Seattle Seahawks- IMHO the 1983-2001 Seahawks uniforms were the greatest uniforms in NFL history, getting away from those was a terrible decision

2004-05 Arizona Cardinals- should have never "modernized" these uniforms and tried to make the logo look mean, took away that great old logo and took away the simplicity of the uniform

2005-06 Vikings- again, should not have tried to "modernize" the uniforms with the piping and the logo above the name plate- keep it simple!

2006-07 Chargers- definitely should not have gotten away from the midnight blue helmets and uniforms they used from 1992 to 2006, one of the greatest in history

2011 Notre Dame- new helmets are too shiny, I get that the helmets are now supposed to be reminiscent of the actual Golden Dome, but it's really gotten away from the simplicity of Notre Dame's traditional uniforms because of the gaudiness

2013-14 Bucs- the new uniforms are atrocious

Untitled_zps5e4a382a.png

Huge success has to be the Broncos. From 4 time Super Bowl losers to back to back Super Bowl champions.

Not picking on you in particular, hawk, but my question to a bunch of people is this: if the Buccaneers win a couple Super Bowls in their newest uniform, does that make it a success?

Huge success has to be the Broncos. From 4 time Super Bowl losers to back to back Super Bowl champions.

Not picking on you in particular, hawk, but my question to a bunch of people is this: if the Buccaneers win a couple Super Bowls in their newest uniform, does that make it a success?

A success in winning, a failure in the uniform department.

Despite their first Lombardi, big downgrade.

This makes iteasy to spot the bandwagon fans, so many here on the east coast...they all have the brand new look, nothing vintage,

Russell+Wilson+St+Louis+Rams+v+Seattle+S

richard-sherman-ankle-injury.jpg

^This is a a downgrade from:

Seahawks-sign-RB-Lynch-to-four-year-deal

sea-02-11-allgreen-danielgluskoter-675x3

And all looks since are a downgrade compared to:

Jim-Zorn-and-Largent.jpg

seahawks-cortez.jpg

hey but all better than these

seattle-worst-jersey1.jpg

You said basically the same thing I did about this

You said basically the same thing I did about this

You could say the same thing about the Broncos uniform, which experienced a significant decline in appearance even though the results were a significant improvement. The lighter blue and washed out orange is a much better look than what they have now.

Falcons rebrand after Blank got the team was a positive.

Went from the popular classic Reds when the team was founded

to the Dirty Bird Blacks in the '90s with a superbowl loss to Denver

to the Vick era New Blacks which while popular at the time, have bad memories due to Vick

to the Post-Vick era New Reds which are wildly popular.

john-elway.jpgp-803531-john-elway-denver-broncos-nfl-a

Didn't they win the first SB in the original ones and the next year change to win #2 against my falcons? =(

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

Comparing teams' current look to how far it has risen from its historical worst, or how far it has fallen from its historical best...

NBA

- Best: Hornets (worst look began in 2012)

- Worst: Thunder (best look began in 2001)

NFL

- Best: Eagles (worst look was everything before 1996)

- Worst: Jaguars (best look began in 1999)

MLB

- Best: Angels (worst look began in 1997)

- Worst: Marlins (best look was everything before 2012)

NHL

- Best: Coyotes (worst look began in 1996)

- Worst: Capitals (best look began in 1995)

ujsignature.png

Also, when the NHL lost these logos:

brand.gifquebec_nordiques_logo.pngwinnipeg_jees_logo.png

To these:

carolina_hurricanes.pngbrand.gifphxold.png

The only downgrade here is the Hurricanes.
Avalanche better than the Nordique igloo?

Phoenix Coyote-UGLY better than the Winnipeg Jets logo?

Surely, you can't be serious?

Take the feel good "nostalgia" out of it, and he does have a point to, at least, consider.

Falcons rebrand after Blank got the team was a positive.

Went from the popular classic Reds when the team was founded

to the Dirty Bird Blacks in the '90s with a superbowl loss to Denver

to the Vick era New Blacks which while popular at the time, have bad memories due to Vick

to the Post-Vick era New Reds which are wildly popular.

john-elway.jpgp-803531-john-elway-denver-broncos-nfl-a

Didn't they win the first SB in the original ones and the next year change to win #2 against my falcons? =(

No, they beat my Packers in SB 32 in the first season with the new uniforms.

broncos-over-packers.jpg

Untitled_zps5e4a382a.png

Also, when the NHL lost these logos:

brand.gifquebec_nordiques_logo.pngwinnipeg_jees_logo.png

To these:

carolina_hurricanes.pngbrand.gifphxold.png

The only downgrade here is the Hurricanes.
Avalanche better than the Nordique igloo?

Phoenix Coyote-UGLY better than the Winnipeg Jets logo?

Surely, you can't be serious?

It's hard to imagine the design process for those Jets and Nordiques logos taking more than 5 minutes. Simple logos have their place for sure but those ones fail at representing the simplest images. The hockey stick and puck on the igloo are grossly out of proportion while the "jet" looks like a nondescript polygon.

Not saying the Coyotes logo is great but at least it has a unique style that fits Arizona.

Avalanche logo better than the Nordiques Igloo? Only by about a country mile. Great colours, perfect representation of the teams namesake. I would go as far as to call it a modern classic. Just a shame it's on those terrible bib-piped jerseys.

This one might be debatable.

The New Jersey Nets were arguably the worst franchise in the NBA for decades. From draft busts to awful coaches, these were their uniforms.

nba_g_calipari01_576.jpeg

The overhaul in 1997 took a while to get rolling, but in 2002 everything changed when the franchise became a dominant force in the East throughout the 2000s with Jason Kidd. Back to back Finals appearances, 4 division championships, and 6 consecutive playoff appearances. 5 in which they at least made the 2nd round.

tumblr_mdlmb9MlBZ1qd6wt5o1_1280.jpg

All were still an upgrade from these...

adedb4f447d7e19eab9667be4a4021b21.jpeg

I always thought the light blue Nets were like those t-shirts that would change shades based on your body temp that were popular in the early 90s

Are we trying to say a uniform rebrand is successful because the team happens to get good after the change? Is anyone going to call the new bucs uni great even if they win 10 super bowls in a row?

I am definitely guilty of this. Loved when the Giants changed back to the classic look in 2000 with the "ny" and the gray pants. Loved the jersey, but was never crazy about the 2nd white jersey with the solid red numbers and stripes but no blue outline. Then, they won SB XLII in those whites and I began to love 'em.

2011 Notre Dame- new helmets are too shiny, I get that the helmets are now supposed to be reminiscent of the actual Golden Dome, but it's really gotten away from the simplicity of Notre Dame's traditional uniforms because of the gaudiness

While I definitely understand this point, I don't think the shininess of Notre Dame's new helmets would be such a problem if they didn't pair them with matte pants. Something like a plain version of the pants the 49ers wore after their 1995 overhaul would be perfect for the Irish.

Archived