Switching Allegiances?

DaRadniz29

Through the years, I had kinda bounced around different NHL and NBA teams since we don't have teams from either league here in SD.

With hockey, I had been a huge fan of the minor league Gulls of the IHL and WCHL/ECHL. I followed the Sharks shortly after the Gulls folded, but my fandom fizzled out after they traded away Cheechoo in '09. Moved on to the Kings since 2011, and at this point, and I say this with a heavy heart even for a sports fan, they might as well be my permanent favorite. While I supported the Gulls, I would sometimes watch ESPN's National Hockey Night to see Lemieux, Hasek, Sakic, Selanne, Modano, etc.

With basketball I liked Shaquille O'Neal when he was with Orlando, but at the same time I had a soft spot for Charlotte when they had Muggsy and LJ, and Seattle when Payton and Kemp were there, as well as Indy with Miller in his prime. I have been a Laker fan since Shaq and Kobe first signed with them in '96.

I'm on the fence on whether I would keep rooting for the Chargers if they left SD for LA, but I've always known that LA was where they started when they were part of the AFL.

As for the Padres, my interest has gone downhill since the late Tony Gwynn's retirement in 2001. However, I still watch them on TV every once in a while. At the same time, they're the number 3 team in Southern California, have always been number 3, and would always be number 3. I also feel like the Padres wouldn't exist in 1969 without the Dodgers and Giants moving to CA eleven years earlier.

Curious about how fans of teams that relocated handled their team moving. Did you remain a fan of the franchise after they left, or almost become an "anti fan" because they left?

I've always said that if the Rays were to move, I would probably become a Marlins fan depending on where the team left. A move to Montreal would make me a hater, but remaining in the Southeast may keep me a fan. It's definitely a tough position for any sports fan.

They are thought to be headed to Nashville

That sounds like something Dave Lozo would say tbh

Also, I bandwagon local fanbases, like the Dodgers, Seahawks, and the Blue Jays. Thoughts? I don't care unless it's a huge bandwagon fanbase, like Heat fans. RIP 2010-2014

So, incase you guys don't know yet, I'm a Columbus Blue Jackets fan. I've been to the first game they played, as a wee little boy that flipped out when the end of period buzzer went off. But as I grew up and learned more about sports, I started like the Jackets less. The reason behind this quite frankly is that they flat out sucked. For the past five years though, I have became a steadfast Jackets fan who will flip a table(figuratively) when someone offends my hometown heroes. During my dislike period, I became a mild Sabres fan, because for like a couple of seasons, they weren't bad. Also because I actually like the Buffaslug...

And for a less deep story, my dad was an Indians fan, so I became an Indians fan. And I also like the Reds because they are an Ohio team.

That's what- She

NFL- Panthers

NBA- Hornets

NHL- Hurricanes

MLB- Yankees (Giants)

I'm friends with Madison Bumgarner, so I somewhat switched from my childhood team (NYY) to SF when he was drafted in 2007. I'll pull for whoever he plays for until he retires, then I'll go back to only following the Yankees.

There are certainly reasons to switch fandom from one team to another. Friend/family playing for a team, hometown team relocating to a different city, etc. I just don't get the people who bandwagon around and only follow teams that are really good or have certain stars on them. (ie LeBron/Heat). Or likewise for people who only claim a team when they are good and act like they don't care when they're down.

I like the Jazz because I'm from Utah. Then I like the Buccaneers and Kings. I started liking the Bucs as a kid because of the pirate ship in their stadium. I liked the Kings because I would play NHL 98 on the Sega Genesis as the Kings. In baseball I used to like the Yankees. But then I realized I can't stand teams that dominate all the time in their histories. I couldn't support the Yankees after that.

Archived