SND - Icethetics competition // Hawaii Honu

DanOtis

Hi everybody.

With some Hawaii Honu concepts already flying in last week and the week before - I also finished mine for the competition and thought I would share it to hear what you think about it.

As the other concepts we've seen tried to avoid a stereotype color scheme I went the opposite way and did "the obvious". I incorporated two "ocean green" colors as well as a dark green and a sand tone color. I wanted to create a mean, intimidating turtle that had a dynamic pose and came up with a logo that features a 3/4 view including the wordmark. I also worked with a head-on view that I thought could be a secondary but finally skipped that idea for a shell with hockey sticks. So the head on view you see in the teasing image fell into third place and won't be part of the logo set that went to icethetics.

Presentation_Honu_sneak_peek_zps79d79d30

Presentation_Honu_Logo_Set_II_zpsdca7a30

As I still thought that the head-on logo had the potential for a mascot logo I took that into a different direction with a helmet - giving it more a mascot/fun logo feel. I tried that on a shirt what I think worked o.k. but because of the white is a clear separation from the logo-set itself.
Shirt_grey_honu_mascot_zpsfeb96901.jpg
atbw
Daniel

I think the secondary would look better without the fins on the word honu. They look excellent on the primary/wordmark, but on the secondary it feels awkward. Other than that, I'd love to see a hockey team wear this. Excellent work! I really like the stained-glass feel to the turtle.

It's _____________ and Toledo still sucks.

[insert time here]

Looks good, but in all honesty I would be more inclined to vote for a logo without a wordmark incorporated into the main logo.

If your heart is set on keeping it, a quick solution would be to just take word "Honu" out.

Just my $0.02

xOwzChW.jpg

Really fine work here Daniel.

I agree with _nxche on the primary.

It would make a fantastic T-shirt graphic, but as a "chest-crest" for a hockey sweater, it doesn't need the entire team name spelled out IMO.

The turtle part looks fantastic though.

What if the turtle was emerging through a big letter "H" with the part you've rendered in front, and a silhouette of the back part of the turtle in behind the "H"?

...OR, as _n suggested., remove the "Honu" word and have the back flippers visible beneath "Hawaii", and in shadow.

The secondary is perfect for use as a shoulder patch.

The word-mark and colour palette look great.

...And that mascot head is very cool, and well-rendered. The helmet doesn't have to be white- it could be any of the other colours.

Great stuff!

Thank you guys for your comments.

As the deadline expired on the 13th I don't have the chance to include your input into the competition entry. Perhaps it was a bad decision to disclose my work only after the deadline expired. I think I will go different with the Samurais concept I'm also planning to do for icethetics.

Still - I was interested in your feedback and will probably try some tweaks.

I think the secondary would look better without the fins on the word honu. They look excellent on the primary/wordmark, but on the secondary it feels awkward. Other than that, I'd love to see a hockey team wear this. Excellent work! I really like the stained-glass feel to the turtle.

Alright - you're probably right about that. I'll give that a try.

Looks good, but in all honesty I would be more inclined to vote for a logo without a wordmark incorporated into the main logo.

If your heart is set on keeping it, a quick solution would be to just take word "Honu" out.

Just my $0.02

Really fine work here Daniel.

I agree with _nxche on the primary.

It would make a fantastic T-shirt graphic, but as a "chest-crest" for a hockey sweater, it doesn't need the entire team name spelled out IMO.

The turtle part looks fantastic though.

What if the turtle was emerging through a big letter "H" with the part you've rendered in front, and a silhouette of the back part of the turtle in behind the "H"?

...OR, as _n suggested., remove the "Honu" word and have the back flippers visible beneath "Hawaii", and in shadow.

The secondary is perfect for use as a shoulder patch.

The word-mark and colour palette look great.

...And that mascot head is very cool, and well-rendered. The helmet doesn't have to be white- it could be any of the other colours.

Great stuff!

I totally see your point. I was also considering to go with a "turtle without the wordmark" as a primary. And I also think that on a jersey it would look better. In my opinion it could be possible that a team has a primary that includes the wordmark but gets rid of it when placed on the jersey. That was what I thought it could be here as well. But as for the competition I was too happy with the Honu wordmark with the flippers that I wanted to keep that on the primary.

About the "H" hint from sparky - I'm having difficulties to picture that and I wouldn't do that for a primary I think.

To get rid only of the "HONU" and have the back flippers looking through under the Hawaii wordmark - I think therefore the angle isn't right. I suppose that one would only see very few of the back flippers even if there's no wordmark at all. But I think that I will give that a try - to have the single turtle and trying to include back-flippers. So far it would look like in the following image and I felt that it looked a bit too flat. And that was why I still kept the wordmark as also stated above.

Presentation_Honu_primary_withoutwordmar

Again - thanks for your advice!
Daniel

Dude, your logos are top notch, and it sucks that you couldn't enter your logo. I honestly think you had a chance of winning the competition.

Hey. I'm afraid you got me wrong here. I did submit the logo set I included in the first post.

What I meant in my second post is that I won't be able to change things according to the feedback I received because the deadline expired on Friday.

Thanks for your appreciation though.

Daniel

Dude, your logos are top notch, and it sucks that you couldn't enter your logo. I honestly think you had a chance of winning the competition.

Hey. I'm afraid you got me wrong here. I did submit the logo set I included in the first post.

What I meant in my second post is that I won't be able to change things according to the feedback I received because the deadline expired on Friday.

Thanks for your appreciation though.

Daniel

Ah, I understand now! Either way, awesome job.

That's what- She

Hey Matt. Thanks. I think luck is what I need with regard to the quality of many of the submitted concepts. And clearly luck wasn't on my side for the first matchup. ;o)

Honestly. The competition shows lots of great work.

Check it out at icethetics.co

http://www.icethetics.co/icehl-news/2014/6/18/icehl-hawaii-logo-selection-round-1

Atbw

Daniel

Archived