Teams you were fan of, but not anymore after rebrand ?

Rays

These guys...

ap090814082914.jpg?w=620&h=929

... were my official "second" when I was a kid. Great logo, great colors, and played in the AFC, so they were never a direct problem for my Vikings.

These guys...

04926328788cacff_shery.jpg.xxxlarge.jpg

...can disappear off the face of the earth and I wouldn't miss them.

The Seahawks and Buccaneers were my two "other" teams besides the Bengals and like you, that is no longer the case. I don't dislike them, just don't care either way. To this day, my basement contains Bucco Bruce stuff right along with old Bengals and Reds stuff.

The Reds' BFBS era of 1999-2006 was painful, as is the current Bengals era. I was/am still a fan, but I'm going to be honest, it's not the same. Watching the Bengals make another Super Bowl in the current uniforms won't be the same as it would have been seeing them in the previous ones, and my childhood dream of seeing their original uniforms was missed by one year back in 1981.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if you stop being a fan after a rebrand, then you were never a real fan.

But the players disapear, and then if the team colors and logo also changes, then there is nothing left but a city name
This reminds me of what Jerry Seinfeld said, "you end up rooting for laundry"

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

1560.gif
6209.gif

Soooooooooooo much better than.... this.....

i9ni847kriagxdlb7xewa6dl8.gif
mqxyxy7g2yvkkg1emkhe.gif

...and i will never root for the Red Bulls. They ruined a great Tri-State metro area identity so they could be a billboard.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

...and i will never root for the Red Bulls. They ruined a great Tri-State metro area identity so they could be a billboard.

MetroStars was a corporate-inspired name as well.

That has never been fully explained... Nike wanted the team name to be the MetroFlash, but they selected MetroStars, and even if it is corporate, for what product was it for? I've never seen MetroStars outside of that team. Not to mention the name fit perfectly for the area.

sB9ijEj.png

The team's original owner was John Kluge, who owned the Metropolitan Broadcasting Corporation, which was part of a larger corporation called Metromedia. Both the original MetroFlash and eventual MetroStars names were plays off of the name of the corporation that owned the team.

As blatant as Red Bull New York? No, but the team's name was still chosen to act as a billboard for their corporate masters.

The Pacers, kinda sorta. I was in love with the Miller-era Pacers and was a HUGE fan of the pinstripes era. Once Reggie retired and after the malice in the palace stuff, I stopped paying attention to basketball and with my favorite player retiring and the sport leaving my interest simultaneously, it all coincided with their rebrand to this current boring era of uniforms. I wouldn't say the rebrand made me dislike the team but the rebrand occurred after a time of great change.

Don´t really think the pacers rebranded ? still got the same colors, name and logo .

The team's original owner was John Kluge, who owned the Metropolitan Broadcasting Corporation, which was part of a larger corporation called Metromedia. Both the original MetroFlash and eventual MetroStars names were plays off of the name of the corporation that owned the team.

As blatant as Red Bull New York? No, but the team's name was still chosen to act as a billboard for their corporate masters.

You have to admit, that not only their identity (once they dropped the NY/NJ moniker) and their name fit perfect for a team in the NY/NJ/CT metropolitan area...

And the red/black striping, the badge... it was all so perfect...

sB9ijEj.png

You have to admit, that not only their identity (once they dropped the NY/NJ moniker) and their name fit perfect for a team in the NY/NJ/CT metropolitan area...

And the red/black striping, the badge... it was all so perfect...

It was nice, though I would have preferred it if they had kept a locale in their name. New York/New Jersey was stupid but one or the other would have worked just fine.

The Calgary Flames...

In spite of being a Canucks fan, I'll usually root for any Canadian team still around after their elimination. The Flames 2004 run was a thing of beauty not only because nobody expected it, but because of the fantastic home jerseys that were introduced that season. The team hadn't worn red in 4 years and I still maintain it was the best they've ever looked. Today I can't stand the sight of the team. Those tacky looking flags coupled with those hideous side panels & piping to nowhere made me lose any lingering respect I had for them. The cheap looking replica's I'm forced to look at every time I go out compounds my disgust for the team. Worst jersey in the history of hockey... bar none.

3-CalgaryFlames.png
Calgary-Flames-Reebok-Premier-Replica-Ho

I don't like the Miami Dolphins' rebranding, but I've been a fan of the team for 40+ years and that won't change. I kick it with my old school Dolphins gear on fall Sundays. If the franchise puts a winning team on the field, only then will I buy the new crap.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

I think if you stop being a fan after a rebrand, then you were never a real fan.

Sure the Buccaneers update was bad, but that doesn't mean i'm going to stop being a fan.

Agreed.

Even if braindead politicians get the Redskins team changed to the "Fairies", I'll still be a fan. They'll also always be the Redskins to me...just as I still call the Wizards the Bullets.

You can try to hide history but you'll never erase it.

87Redskins.png

These guys...

... were my official "second" when I was a kid. Great logo, great colors, and played in the AFC, so they were never a direct problem for my Vikings.

These guys...

Well, that's not all about uniforms, as I can understand the hate for the defending champs. Largent, Zorn, Kreig and others were classy...Sherman, Browner and the rest of the PED-infested thugs are tough to stomach.

87Redskins.png

These guys...

These guys...

Well, that's not all about uniforms, as I can understand the hate for the defending champs. Largent, Zorn, Kreig and others were classy...Sherman, Browner and the rest of the PED-infested thugs are tough to stomach.

I'm not a huge Sherman guy, but why is he a thug? I still love the Seahawks but those Largent/Zorn sets are beautiful.

These guys...

These guys...

I'm not a huge Sherman guy, but why is he a thug? I still love the Seahawks but those Largent/Zorn sets are beautiful.
Really, why are the Seahawks thugs? Russell Wilson is the farthest thing from a thug, and he is a big part of that team.

A uniform change seems like a bad reason to dump a team. If you simply root for clothes, you've gotta be a sh_tty fan.

PHI ALPHA! SIGMA ALPHA EPSILON. CAROLINA GAMECOCKS. ST. LOUIS CARDINALS. ST. LOUIS BLUES. ORLANDO CITY SC. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS.

sc_gamecocks_sig1.png

A uniform change seems like a bad reason to dump a team. If you simply root for clothes, you've gotta be a sh_tty fan.

But the problems comes when you can´t recognize your team anymore

I would not say that I was a true fan of these teams, but I think their initial re-brand made me pay more attention to them:

1) Atlanta Falcons - I loved when the team got rid of the red helmet went to black to became the "Dirty Birds" in 1990.

From this:

33407-4Fr.jpg

To this:

nfl_g_sanders_260_display_image.jpg?1293

To this re-brand which was great with all-black, but okay with the red jersey and white pants:

Great:

dpg-vertical.jpg

Not so Much:

matt-ryan-2.jpg

2. Seattle Seahawks: I like the Largent era uniforms, but when they complete their first re-brand, I fell in love with their uniforms and began watching and rooting for the team. But with their second significant re-brand, I pretty much stopped paying attention.

From this classic set:

Steve-Largent.jpg

To this beautiful set:

Matt+Hasselbeck+Carolina+Panthers+v+Seat

To this new set that I don't love at all:

Russell+Wilson+Tennessee+Titans+v+Seattl

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - I like to pull for the underdog in most cases as I hate to see horrible teams suck for so long, but I knew that things were gonna change for the Bucs when they re-branded and went with the best looking uniform in the NFL IMO, but that changed when they re-branded in 2014 to one of the two worst looks in the NFL.

From this classic:

000tbcream000.jpg

To the best in the NFL:

New+York+Jets+v+Tampa+Bay+Buccaneers+Rt9

To the 2nd worst in the NFL:

2014-03-03-nf1.jpg

spacer.png

Archived