Ugliest Pro logo to win a championship ?

Rays

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised at all the Mavs hate.

I think it's more so a process of elimination issue. You could make the argument that the Mavericks are really the only NBA champion that won wearing a "modern" look: all the other champions were wearing their iconic looks (outside of winning a championship with them). Dressed for excellence, if you will. The Mavericks look good but it has some crazy competition as far as looks are concerned.

GR30a5H.png

The shield logo is hardly terrible. A little half assed but not terrible.

There is not one element to the LA shield that is in the least bit decent.

-The shield shape is a copy/paste of a rec soccer league shield.

-Color scheme went from a identifiable LA look to a plain, boring look. (My smallest concern)

-The LA font is just horrendous. It also looks stretched.

-The crown looks tossed in at the bottom to fill an empty spot.

Los Angeles Kings needed a new identity (based off appearance) more than any team in hockey, and winning a title has made this change very unlikely.

-Color scheme went from a identifiable LA look to a plain, boring look. (My smallest concern)

Los Angeles Kings needed a new identity (based off appearance) more than any team in hockey, and winning a title has made this change very unlikely.

I don't mind the colour scheme. Before winning two Stanley Cups the Kings were most relevant during the Gretzky years, during which they wore black, silver, and white. Now they've won two Stanley Cups in three years in that colour scheme.

Comparatively purple and gold is associated with their years as an underachieving expansion team and black and purple brings to mind the years where they were consistently in the basement of the Western Conference.

-The King's have had three logos with the same shield shape prior to the current one so there is a historical precedent. I include the chevy logo because it is essentially the same shape with added space to encompass the text.

-What Ice Cap said about the Gretzky years is true. Besides the two championships, this was the height of the Kings relevancy and it makes perfect sense for them to go that route. And I say this as someone who prefers the Purple Black and Silver scheme aesthetically.

-The font is no different from the one that adorned the Purple, Black and Silver logos you like

-The crown is integral to the design, not filler. The concepts that place it on the top fare no better. That being said, it would benefit from a simplification

-No they don't. They have their identity and the two championships they've one in the last 3 years say this is it. Whether you like it or not.

I never said I like the identity of the old Kings. I actually said I dislike the old ones and was hoping that the overall was going to be positive. As I said before, color scheme was just a small pet-peeve because I do recognize the history behind it. Nothing can make up for how lousy of a shape the shield is and I never said the font used pre-overhaul was good.

Nothing can make up for how lousy of a shape the shield is...

The shape of the shield is fine. Here are some earlier Kings logos...

rrgfl0ixn5mpqhfcp7l5mgl5y_zps0502ebd1.gi

243_zps9858d9b9.gif

iuzdk8tqrm1jrqg6bhfwjpgnq_zps9122f8c6.gi

242_zpsec7f9b3a.gif

The current shape of the Kings' shield is consistent with their earlier shields. It's not the shape that's the issue. It's how they arranged the elements within it.

The current shape of the Kings' shield is consistent with their earlier shields. It's not the shape that's the issue. It's how they arranged the elements within it.

Just curious to hear exactly more about the arrangement of things. The obvious differences with the current shield is that there's now a stripe going across it and rather than "Los Angeles" and "Kings" it's "LA". Is that the particular issues? Or it is something else?

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

All of these Kings Shield logos are much better than the the current one. The LA is just boring and kinda cheap looking. Like I said before, looks like a un liscensed video game logo of a LA ice hockey franchise.

Nothing can make up for how lousy of a shape the shield is...

The shape of the shield is fine. Here are some earlier Kings logos...

rrgfl0ixn5mpqhfcp7l5mgl5y_zps0502ebd1.gi

243_zps9858d9b9.gif

iuzdk8tqrm1jrqg6bhfwjpgnq_zps9122f8c6.gi

242_zpsec7f9b3a.gif

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

Archived