Orlando Magic - Shaquille O'Neil
Philadelphia Sixers - Julius Erving
Phoenix Suns - Charles Barkley
Portland Trail Blazers - Clyde Drexler
Sacramento Kings - Chris Webber
San Antonio Spurs - Tim Duncan
Toronto Raptors - Vince Carter
Utah Jazz - Karl Malone/John Stockton**
Washington Wizards - Moses Malone (Bullets)

*Hugo has been with the team since day one.

**Seriously? Can't pick Stockton or Malone.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Serious pick for the Hornets would probably be Gerald Wallace (ick)

Warriors: Wilt instead of Mullen

Heat: Wade instead of Mourning

Pelicans: Since this is more of a popularity contest and Davis has bigger years to come, I'd go with Muggsy

I'd go Mourning or Muggsy for Charlotte then. Leaving Wade/Haslem for Miami.

I'm sorry but... Moses only played for the Bullets for 2 seasons. I get it that we don't exactly have the highest repertoire of great players, but wouldn't someone like Wes Unseld or Elvin Hayes be better than him?

Atlanta Hawks - Dominique Wilkins

Boston Celtics - Larry Bird

Brooklyn Nets - Julius Erving

Charlotte Hornets- Hugo T. Hornet*

Chicago Bulls - Michael Jordan

Cleveland Cavaliers - LeBron James

Dallas Mavericks - Dirk Nowitzki

Denver Nuggets - Alex English

Detroit Pistons - Isiah Thomas

Golden State Warriors - Chris Mullen

Houston Rockets - Hakeem Olajuwon

Indiana Pacers - Reggie Miller

LA Clippers - Chris Paul

LA Lakers - Magic Johnson

Memphis Grizzlies - Marc Gasol

Miami Heat - Alonzo Mourning

Milwaukee Bucks - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Minnesota Timberwolves - Kevin Garnett

New Orleans Pelicans - Anthony Davis

New York Knicks - Patrick Ewing

Oklahoma City Thunder - Kevin Durant

Orlando Magic - Shaquille O'Neil

Philadelphia Sixers - Julius Erving

Portland Trail Blazers - Clyde Drexler

Sacramento Kings - Chris Webber

Utah Jazz - Karl Malone/John Stockton**

Washington Wizards - Moses Malone (Bullets)

*Hugo has been with the team since day one.

**Seriously? Can't pick Stockton or Malone.

I am going to take thhe old Hornets and combine them with the new one and count Pelicans sepretley

Here are my choices that are different

Celtics Bill Russell

Hornets Larry Johnson

Warriors Wilt Chamberlain

Clippers Blake Griffin

Heat Dwyane Wade

Knicks Walt Clyde Frazier

Blazers Bill Walton

Jazz Stockton and Malone are the ultimate tandem and can never be taken apart.

Wizards Wes Unseld

John Wall?

Unseld and Hayes were around during the Bullets' best period in franchise history (The late 70's) and were the key guys in both finals appearances and their lone championship. Wall hasn't done anything yet.

*yet = Hopefully this Wizards era at least has some decent success over the next decade or so.

These things are too hard to do because there's a lot of teams with a lot of history and the answer might be different based on what generation you're asking.

For example, Sixers.

I think that unquestionably it is Dr. J. He has elite status among the all timers. However, there are some that would say Wilt Chamberlain, even though he's more known for the Phila Warriors than Sixers. There are also some who might say Charles Barkley, because the microscope focused on him once Doc retired.

Some were a lot harder then others. It was interesting to compare my fanhood memories to what I read in my books or saw on NBA's Greatest Games. Almost like a head-versus-heart kinda deal.

Hawks - Dominique Wilkins (If Bob Pettit plays 5-10 years later he's the man. Lack of footage and never playing a game in Atlanta sinks him)
Celtics - Bill Russell (Bird may be more well-known, but Russell is the NBA's Yogi Berra & Jackie Robinson; an elder statesman and civil rights icon)
Nets - Jason Kidd (Bonus points for coaching the team)
Hornets- Muggsy Bogues (Played with the team for years and beloved by many fans outside of the Queen City)
Bulls - Michael Jordan (He is the Bulls by far, but a bit of a blasphemous confession here: whenever I think of MJ, I'm 11 and he's trying to take the '03 Wiz to the playoffs)
Cavaliers - LeBron James (Mark Price is close now because of LeBron's departure, but 10 years from now, it'll be a landslide for LeBron)
Mavericks - Dirk Nowitzki
Nuggets - Carmelo Anthony (Melo made the playoffs every year with the Nuggets, so I take him over Alex English. Dikembe Mutombo only was in Denver from '91-'96)
Pistons - Isiah Thomas (Almost considered Joe Dumars, but last six years of his GM tenure set him back)
Warriors - Wilt Chamberlain (He had his 50 point average season with the Warriors, so I felt that merited his spot here)
Rockets - Hakeem Olajuwon
Pacers - Reggie Miller (As someone who considers Loose Balls their favorite book of all time, I thought of Mel Daniels for a brief, brief second)
Clippers - Blake Griffin (Kinda thought about Elton Brand or Danny Manning, but neither were really popular outside of L.A.)
Lakers - Jerry West (Gets the nod over Kobe, Magic, Kareem, and Elgin Baylor because he was the GM that formed Showtime and Shaq-Kobe teams)
Grizzlies - Zach Randolph (Beat out the Gasol brothers. Vancouver Grizzlies get Bryant Reeves)
Heat - Dwyane Wade (Very strong chance LeBron takes over in the next few years.)
Bucks - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Timberwolves - Kevin Garnett
Pelicans - Anthony Davis
Knicks - Patrick Ewing (Willis Reed loses by a hair, mostly because of my generation)
Thunder - Kevin Durant
Magic - Dwight Howard (Shaq only was in Orlando from '92-'96, half the amount of seasons as Dwight.)
76ers - Julius Erving (Maybe it's the millenial in me, but Allen Iverson got some heavy consideration. Billy Cunningham gets a mention for coaching team as well)
Suns - Steve Nash (Two MVPs are better then one. Sorry Sir Charles)
Trail Blazers - Clyde Drexler
Kings - Chris Webber (Mitch Richmond was a playoff run or two away from taking the title)

Sonics- Gary Payton (Decided to throw them in, liked the Glove over Shawn Kemp & Lenny Wilkens)

Spurs -Tim Duncan (Orginally thought David Robinson would be neck and neck with Duncan, then realized it wasn't close at all)
Raptors - Vince Carter (Chris Bosh would win this on pure stats, but Vinsanity gets the nod because of his dunking prowess. I imagine this changes in next few years)
Jazz - John Stockton (The Mailman played for another team. Stockton didn't.)
Wizards - Wes Unseld (Gets a few bonus points for being coach and GM even if he wasn't all that good. If Wes didn't spend his full career with team, Elvin Hayes makes it close)

My take.

Atlanta Hawks - Dominique

Boston Celtics - Larry Bird

Brooklyn Nets - Jay-Z

Charlotte Hornets- Grandmama

Cleveland Cavaliers - "Player #23"

Dallas Mavericks - Mark Cuban

Denver Nuggets - Mutumbo

Detroit Pistons - Joe Dumars

Golden State Warriors - Steph Curry

Houston Rockets - Olajuwon

Indiana Pacers - Larry Bird

LA Clippers - Donald Sterling (unfortunately)

LA Lakers - Magic

Memphis/Vancouver Grizzlies - Big Country

Miami Heat - Pat "Oil Slick" Riley

Milwaukee Bucks - Jack Sikma

Minnesota Timberwolves - KG

New Orleans Pelicans - Creepy Pelicans Mascot

Oklahoma City Thunder - Gary Payton

Orlando Magic - Shaq

Philadelphia Sixers - Dr. J

Phoenix Suns - Steve Nash

Portland Trail Blazers - Bill Walton

Sacramento Kings - White Chocolate

San Antonio Spurs - David Robinson

Utah Jazz - Jerry Sloan

Washington Wizards - Michael Jordan

These things are too hard to do because there's a lot of teams with a lot of history and the answer might be different based on what generation you're asking.

For example, Sixers.

I think that unquestionably it is Dr. J. He has elite status among the all timers. However, there are some that would say Wilt Chamberlain, even though he's more known for the Phila Warriors than Sixers. There are also some who might say Charles Barkley, because the microscope focused on him once Doc retired.

Dr. J for me too. Without knowing how many years he spent with any one particular team, I picture Barkley as much as a Sun as I do a 76er. Younger people might even say Iverson.

As far as Charlotte goes, I say Muggsy. I don't think it could be Chris Paul since he's actively spending a chunk of his prime as a Clipper.

For example, Sixers.

Dr. J for me too. Without knowing how many years he spent with any one particular team, I picture Barkley as much as a Sun as I do a 76er. Younger people might even say Iverson.

As far as Charlotte goes, I say Muggsy. I don't think it could be Chris Paul since he's actively spending a chunk of his prime as a Clipper.

That's interesting. My first thoughts when I read the topic title were Doc, Stilt, and Charles. I didn't even think of Iverson until reading the last few posts, and I experienced his whole career. Maybe because he's such a sad story and wasn't a good representative of the team when he was around, I don't know. Regardless that shot of him stepping over Tyron Lue is probably the iconic image of his time in philly.

As for Barkley being a Sun, I think he's unquestionably a Sixer - that's where he became famous, was featured in controversial commercials, was on SI (which mattered back then) became marketable, and spat on a fan. It's where he made his name, even if he didn't experience the same success as in phoenix, but he didn't exactly win there either.

For example, Sixers.

That's interesting. My first thoughts when I read the topic title were Doc, Stilt, and Charles. I didn't even think of Iverson until reading the last few posts, and I experienced his whole career. Maybe because he's such a sad story and wasn't a good representative of the team when he was around, I don't know. Regardless that shot of him stepping over Tyron Lue is probably the iconic image of his time in philly.

As for Barkley being a Sun, I think he's unquestionably a Sixer - that's where he became famous, was featured in controversial commercials, was on SI (which mattered back then) became marketable, and spat on a fan. It's where he made his name, even if he didn't experience the same success as in phoenix, but he didn't exactly win there either.

Yeah, I was surprised you didn't mention Iverson when you were naming people that could get considered. He singlehandedly brought that team to the Finals and is the guy when you think about the Sixers in black. I'd still go with Dr. J, but Iverson would probably be second for me. That's also probably because I'm young enough to associate Barkley with the Suns more than the Sixers.

My take.

San Antonio Spurs - David Robinson

Ten years ago maybe, but Timmy now has 5 titles, and his unselfish play is the model for how the current Spurs were built, and what so many other teams are now trying to imitate.

For example, Sixers.

Yeah, I was surprised you didn't mention Iverson when you were naming people that could get considered. He singlehandedly brought that team to the Finals and is the guy when you think about the Sixers in black. I'd still go with Dr. J, but Iverson would probably be second for me. That's also probably because I'm young enough to associate Barkley with the Suns more than the Sixers.

You bring up a good point about Iverson being associated with the black uniforms. The sixers are so much a RWB team that it's hard to consider him the "face" when most lasting memories are of him wearing what looks like another team's uniform.

Players I personally associate with each team...

Atlanta Hawks - Mookie Blaylock

Boston Celtics - Antoine Walker

Brooklyn Nets - Jason Kidd

Charlotte Hornets- Baron Davis

Cleveland Cavaliers - Brendan Knight

Dallas Mavericks - Michael Finley

Denver Nuggets - Antonio McDyess

Detroit Pistons - Jerry Stackhouse

Golden State Warriors - Antawn Jamison

Houston Rockets - Hakeem Olajuwon

Indiana Pacers - Reggie Miller

LA Clippers - Lamar Odom

LA Lakers - Kobe Bryant

Memphis Grizzlies - Jayson Williams

Miami Heat - Jamal Mashburn

Milwaukee Bucks - Ray Allen

Minnesota Timberwolves - Kevin Garnett

New Orleans Pelicans - David West

Oklahoma City Thunder - Gary Payton

Orlando Magic - Penny Hardaway

Philadelphia Sixers - Allen Iverson

Portland Trail Blazers - Rasheed Wallace

Sacramento Kings - Mike Bibby

Utah Jazz - John Stockton

Washington Wizards - Juwan Howard

if we could get the NBA to give the twolves the mpls lakers history (not their name just the history) then George mikan would be the wolves fotf :) ( hey it worked for charlotte)

Although that would makes less sense than the Hornets swap was.

Archived