How to create concepts. (Jerseys [NHL/NFL/NBA/etc], and Logos)

Chewbacca

Ever since I first saw online Concepts of jerseys and logos being posted on sites such as this one, I have always wanted to know how to design concepts on the computer and I'm pretty damn sure that I'm not the only one who's wondering how to do it. I hope that this will end up being a Thread where folks like me who want to design Concepts that don't know how can actually learn how to do it. I have tried to find out how to make them for about a year now and I haven't been able to find any guide to design them anywhere. Hopefully, this will help.

There's never really been a specific guide available, not to my knowledge anyway. But I'll give you some tips anyway.

First thing's first, the whole point of a concept is that you need to have an idea in mind. What team is it for? What logos, colours, striping or other design elements should you use? If you feel you're good enough to draw up a logo, the same mindset more or less applies for that too.

For uniforms there are a bunch of different templates around. If you don't have Photoshop or Illustrator on your computer, you could always use MS Paint instead. Or whatever the Mac equivalent is, if you have one of those. One of our longtime members has even done a hand drawn series.

Dive in, give it a go, see what works and what doesn't. Post it on the boards and get feedback.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

You are not the first to post this kind of question and each time I see this, it seems like a strange question, honestly. It's just like anything else in life. You practice and learn. Of course if you already have some artistic talent, that helps and is kind of a necessity, but the techniques can be learned. How does a great guitar player become a great guitar player? They pick up a guitar, maybe study other guitarists, and eventually it starts to make sense.

That being said..Does this belong in the "Sports Logos" section? There's nothing here about any particular logo,jersey, or team.

Archived