Rebranding the Washington Redskins

borner1996

I've read through the thread a bit more, and you've all pointed something out to me: no one is complaining about the logo, it's just the moniker. Would a simple change back to "Braves" as someone suggested a few pages back (forgive me, I can't place your name) potentially solve all of this? The Washington Braves?

No, because then you're stepping on MLB's toes, and it still doesn't solve the underlying problem, as the name and logo have, for better or worse, been pretty much linked together.

If they're going to break (and at this point they may well have to), better to start over. More money to be made that way.

I don't love the "Braves" idea either, but I don't know if this is a concern. The recently-named Winnipeg Jets are an example (OK, so the NFL is not "threatened" by the NHL, but I don't know that it matters that two teams in two different pro sports have the same name). See Panthers, Cardinals, and Rangers.

The jets were named after the old Winnipeg jets which became the coyotes

2lx6s6o.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've read through the thread a bit more, and you've all pointed something out to me: no one is complaining about the logo, it's just the moniker. Would a simple change back to "Braves" as someone suggested a few pages back (forgive me, I can't place your name) potentially solve all of this? The Washington Braves?

No, because then you're stepping on MLB's toes, and it still doesn't solve the underlying problem, as the name and logo have, for better or worse, been pretty much linked together.

If they're going to break (and at this point they may well have to), better to start over. More money to be made that way.

I don't love the "Braves" idea either, but I don't know if this is a concern. The recently-named Winnipeg Jets are an example (OK, so the NFL is not "threatened" by the NHL, but I don't know that it matters that two teams in two different pro sports have the same name). See Panthers, Cardinals, and Rangers.

The jets were named after the old Winnipeg jets which became the coyotes

And the NFL Jets were a going concern when the WHA Jets started.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I've read through the thread a bit more, and you've all pointed something out to me: no one is complaining about the logo, it's just the moniker.

Yup. The logo is a respectful depiction of a Native American. The name isn't respectful no matter how you spin it. You could argue that the word's become associated more with the NFL team than the slur itself over time, but the thing is, it's still a racial slur to begin with. People still find it offensive, and fans are too attached to the name to accept that.

Outside of North America, especially here in the UK it's become one of many go-to, uninspired Native American themed names for hockey and American football teams (the mindset of "It's an American sports team, so let's call them the Chieftains/Warriors/Redskins/etc!!!"). The owners and fans of any that happen to be named "Redskins" likely have no idea that it originated as a racial slur.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

In my NFL Rebrand, I made some very minor tweaks to the Redskins, making them the Washington Warriors. Because when the team changes the name, everyone is still going to see them as "the team formerly know as the Redskins". So to solve this, I gave them the Warriors. This is a term to show respect to the Native American people, and how they have fought throughout their whole history. The name Warriors embodies a sense of strength & honor. This name is perfect because it also allows you to keep most of the team's historic logos & colors almost in tact.

Here is the logo I gave them for my rebrand, and you can follow the rest of it here - http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/98633-okc-outlaws-vote-2014-nfl-concept-expansion-series/page-4

Washington Warriors:

noczet.png

I found a pretty elegant solution for a Washington Warriors rebrand by Brittain Peck, should they opt for a total rebrand.

7219805076_69bc4333eb_o.jpg

Elegant? It's hideous, in my opinion. Looks like Dodge and an airline logo mated. Too corporate and boring. I get the DC flag reference but blah.

87Redskins.png

Most of those were a long, time ago. The Cardinals and Rangers teams date back before merchandising, before the proliferation of national media. The two Panthers teams were announced within months of each other, so perhaps there's a case to be made there, but they too go back decades.

Most of those were a long, time ago. The Cardinals and Rangers teams date back before merchandising, before the proliferation of national media. The two Panthers teams were announced within months of each other, so perhaps there's a case to be made there, but they too go back decades.

20 years ago is not that long ago though.

20 years ago is not that long ago though.

In the world of sports marketing and merchandising, it's a century ago. That's probably right around the time that the climb up the mountain to the apex we're at now got started.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

exactly. you dont have to be completely original in all of sport, only in your niche. its one thing to have 2 teams each in a different league named the ST Louis Cardinals, but the Washington Braves (for example) would have no conflict with the Atlanta Braves. You could even make them the same colors and there would still be no major branding conflict.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I agree that the tweak of the logo might work. If you asked the average American (not even a sports fan) what a Redskin was, I am sure the overwhelming answer would be a professional football player. The team has held the name for so long, it is the first thing that people think about when they hear the word. Football. Not Native Americans. The use and definition of Redskins has drastically changed from century to century and decade to decade and if one were to look at this more rationally and less knee-jerk, we can acknowledge the fluidity of language and meaning and that the word today is almost universally identified with a sports club not ethnicity and that the often cited negative connotation of the word redskin is derived from a relatively brief period (The term dates back to the late 1600s) of misuse in the late 19th/early 20th century. That said, I can understand the discomfort with the logo of the team which is clearly an American Indian in profile. Keep the football history associated with the name (a name now synonymous with the NFL team not an ethnic group) but change the logo used on the helmet and merchandise. This change does not need to be drastic. The team can use the old Lombardi "R" logo on the current burgundy helmet or use the alternate "R" logo used on coaching caps in place of the Indian head as suggested at the beginning of this thread.

MOD EDIT: Commentary in this thread is meant to critique borner1996's rebrand idea for the Washington Redskins, as well as to offer-up and critique other rebranding ideas for the franchise. All contributions to this thread are to be made in a respectful manner.

Thank you.

Olbermann was right. Call the team the Washington Americans and keep the current logo. Change the name to the Warriors (trademarked by the team for an Arena franchise Snyder was granted) and use the spear logo. Call them the Red Tails.

I didn't see the Titans suffering when they switched their name from the Oilers.

It's over. Change the name of the team and move on.

Archived