What if College Football work like the English Premiership?

ATolly66

Hey Creamers,

A few years ago, ESPN ran an article that re-organized Division 1-A college football into two-tier system that worked exactly like the English Premiership. It was an incredible idea that I loved and toyed with ever since. The article ran 4 years ago, and I figured that it was time for an update. http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=4369091

I determined the Top 40 in Division I-A using the Football Outsiders's F/+ metric. More specifically, I averaged each school's F/+ rating from 2005 to 2012 (excluding the school's best and worst year) to determine the Top Tier (with exception to Arizona State, they finished in 42nd behind South Florida and Louisville, but put them in the Top Tier in order to balance the regions).

Next, I used Google Maps to organize the teams into four conferences based on geography. I kept all major rivalries in place without too much gerrymandering. https://mapsengine.g...Yk.k7gDGoVZFWlo

Here's the conferences in case you don't want to check out the Google Map:

West: USC, OREGON, BOISE STATE, BYU, STANFORD, OREGON STATE, UTAH, ARIZONA STATE, TCU, TEXAS TECH

MidWest: LSU, OKLAHOMA, TEXAS, WISCONSIN, OKLAHOMA ST, NEBRASKA, MISSOURI, IOWA, TEXAS A&M, ARKANSAS

South: ALABAMA, GEORGIA, FLORIDA, CLEMSON, FLORIDA ST, S. CAROLINA, AUBURN, MIAMI, GEORGIA TECH, TENNESSEE

East: OHIO STATE, VA TECH, W. VIRGINIA, PENN STATE, NOTRE DAME, MICHIGAN, CINCINNATI, MICHIGAN ST, PITT, BOSTON COLLEGE

Now you might be asking "why aren't you including 2013 into your ranking system?" Well, that's because I thought it would be fun show what the 2013 season would look like if college football ran under this system.

Here's what the post-season would like: Top 2 finishers in each conference qualify for the playoffs. Bottom finisher in each conference would get demoted to the 2nd tier. The 2nd bottom finisher in each conference would have to win a "play-in" game to stay in the Top Tier. I'll describe that later.

-------------------------------

Here is the 2nd tier of the new Division 1-A college football format. There are eight conferences of 11 teams. Each conference winner earns a playoff spot. The first round of the playoffs (match-ups determined by location) would also act as a "play-in" game for the Top Tier. If a team LOSES its first round playoff game, they face off against a 9th place finisher from the top-tier. The winner of that game goes to the Top Tier.

Here is the Google Maps link of the 2nd-tier https://mapsengine.g...Yk.kq1mAT3gv3_U

Region 1: CAL, FRESNO, HAWAI'I, IDAHO, NEVADA, SAN DIEGO ST, SAN JOSE STATE, UCLA, UNLV, WASHINGTON, WASHINGTON ST

Region 2: AIR FORCE, ARIZONA, COLORADO, COLORADO ST, KANSAS, KANSAS ST, NEW MEXICO, NEW MEXICO ST, UTAH STATE, UTEP, WYOMING

Region 3: BAYLOR, HOUSTON, LA TECH, N. TEXAS, RICE, SMU, TEXAS ST, TULSA, LA-LAFAYETTE, LA-MONROE, UT-SAN ANTONIO

Region 4: UCF, FAU, FIU, GEORGIA SOUTH, GEORGIA STATE, S. ALABAMA, S. FLORIDA, SO. MISS, TROY, TULANE, UAB

Region 5: BALL ST, BOWLING GREEN, C. MICHIGAN, E. MICHIGAN, ILLINOIS, IOWA ST., MINNESOTA, NO. ILLINOIS, N'WESTERN, TOLEDO, W. MICHIGAN

Region 6: AKRON, ARMY, BUFFALO, UCONN, KENT STATE, MARYLAND, UMASS, NAVY, RUTGERS, SYRACUSE, TEMPLE

Region 7: ARKANSAS ST, INDIANA, KENTUCKY, LOUISVILLE, MTSU, MISS ST, OLE MISS, PURDUE, VANDY, W. KENTUCKY

Region 8: APPALACHIAN ST, DUKE, ECU, MARSHALL, MIAMI-OH, UNC, NC STATE, ODU, OHIO, UVA, WAKE FOREST

Coming...the regular season results!!!

Archived