Standout One-Hit Wonder Teams

Unocal

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2006 Edmonton Oilers: Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, haven't made the playoffs since, three straight 1st overall picks between 2010-12

This:

AAHC093_8x10-2006CampbellTrophy.jpg

To this:

edmontonoilers.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterb

This pains me greatly.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

What about the Phillies in 08? I don't think they've made the postseason since, but then again, I'm not a huge fan of baseball

They won 5 straight division titles, returned to the World Series in 09 (and were right there with the Yankees), won 102 games in 11, sold out 4 consecutive entire seasons of games, and for a few years were considered one of, if not the premiere NL team to play for. That team was as far from a one-hit wonder as you can get. That era may have been a one-hit wonder, but not any individual season within said era.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The first thing I thought of opening this thread was the '07 Browns. Hell, they didn't even make the playoffs, but going 10-6 was a pretty big accomplishment for the post-99 Browns. Basically the definition of a one-hit wonder, they went 4-12 in '06 and again 4-12 in '08. And have been less than mediocre every season since.

spacer.png

2004 Georgia Tech Hoops: Make the National Title Game, lose to U-Conn, and never make it out of the second round again.

There's a ton of one-hit wonders from the NCAA tournament. Probably because the players can only stay for a few years, but here's a few more who showed up out of nowhere and fell back to earth immediately afterwards:

Seton Hall - 1989

Indiana - 2002

aforementioned Georgia Tech

Villanova - 1985

PvO6ZWJ.png

I love watching threads like these descend into entropy. By tomorrow morning, we'll have "sure, the Miami Heat made the Finals four years in a row, but when you consider they lost two and won one of them in seven..."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I love watching threads like these descend into entropy. By tomorrow morning, we'll have "sure, the Miami Heat made the Finals four years in a row, but when you consider they lost two and won one of them in seven..."

Like the "legends in the wrong uniform" thread that turned in to "famous players in the wrong uniform" and then "players in the wrong uniform" and now "pictures of people that are kinda sports related"

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Like the "legends in the wrong uniform" thread that turned in to "famous players in the wrong uniform" and then "players in the wrong uniform" and now "pictures of people that are kinda sports related"

You forgot "whichever guy was traded five seconds ago".

Archived