New Sabres on July 7th?

Sabrejeff

They say it's tickets but...

"A large sign that simply declares "July 7th" appeared on Monday, June 21, in the front windows of HSBC Arena. Although no official information has yet been released, the announcement will pertain to something unprecedented in Sabres? history relating to the ticketing plan for next season."

h_july7622.jpg

...but this image also appeared on the front page of Sabres.com...

1088178282_top.jpg

...and they had a giant 50%-off sale at the SabreStore during draft weekend.

Full text of the story:

Sign of Things to Come

(June 22, 2004)

A large sign that simply declares "July 7th" appeared on Monday, June 21, in the front windows of HSBC Arena. Although no official information has yet been released, the announcement will pertain to something unprecedented in Sabres? history relating to the ticketing plan for next season.

"The sign relates to a major announcement the Buffalo Sabres are going to make on July 7th," stated Director of Public Relations and Sabres spokesman Michael Gilbert. "The announcement pertains to this year's season ticket and individual game ticket plans. Fans should tune into WGR Radio at Noon on July 7th for the live announcement or they can log onto www.sabres.com for complete details on that day."

Last year, the Sabres reduced season ticket prices for all seating locations for the first time since the mid 1980s. The four-and-one-half percent decrease was the largest price decrease in team history. In effect, the reduction rolled back prices to the dollar value of the 2001-02 season.

Fans responded in kind to the decrease, as average home attendance increased by more than 1,500 fans per game. The Sabres sold out 12 games during the 2003-04 season as compared to only three during the 2002-03 season.

While fans will have to wait until July 7th for details, one can easily see the signs of positive change in Buffalo. Just take a walk down to HSBC Arena and see for yourself.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I knoiw I'm in the minority, but those old Sabres unis are horrible--I never liked them--their current ones I like--if you prefer the old colours--fine--recolour the current one that way...

But I know I'm in the minority...

(On the other hand--even if I don't like the team's logo, unis, colours, etc and I comment on them--it's still theirs to decide, but I have a right to comment, and if it's one of my teams--even complain...)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Well, unless the organization is being extremely covert and shifty, I think it's just tickets. But you never know. On the old unis, the white's would have been good if the trim weren't reversed from the sleeves on the hem(blue-white-yellow-white-blue versus yellow-white-blue-white-yellow) and the blue jersey needed some white. But the new ones are just plain bad. The pattern makes no sense with straight lines and angles on the torso and curves on the sleeves. Plus the torso striping on the front doesn't match the back. Only the alts are okay. A change in the ticket prices or something would be good because with such a strong hockey market in that area, they need to put more people in the seats.

...one away.

I knoiw I'm in the minority, but those old Sabres unis are horrible--I never liked them--their current ones I like--if you prefer the old colours--fine--recolour the current one that way...

But I know I'm in the minority...

(On the other hand--even if I don't like the team's logo, unis, colours, etc and I comment on them--it's still theirs to decide, but I have a right to comment, and if it's one of my teams--even complain...)

Well, you are not alone...

At leats 50% alone...

I hate the white, but like the blue, mainly because there is no white at all.

I like the two-colour designs.

I say outlaw use of white and black, unless black is your Primary...

Alright, think fast... how many teams in the NHL today, don' have any white stripes/trim on their dark jerseys a.k.a. Home? (not including background on logo/patches)

I counted 7...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

1088178282_top.jpg

Oh my god, Todd McFarlane bought the team and renamed them the Spawns!!!

:shocked::shocked::shocked:

:D:P

I don't like how that spawn thing is tossed in there, that SHAT is deliberate. Maybe we are going to see some sort of Todd McFarlane design...SHAT! That sucks. I hope I am wrong, oh so very wrong!

I don't like how that spawn thing is tossed in there, that SHAT is deliberate. Maybe we are going to see some sort of Todd McFarlane design...SHAT! That sucks. I hope I am wrong, oh so very wrong!

Well if he did it would have a lot of sharp edges, since he likes sharp edges--and don't sabres have a sharp edge?

:D

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I have no inside information, this is just a guess, but here is what I think will be announced....

I think the Sabres are going to go to a "sliding scale" approach to ticket prices. I think they will go with different price points depending on Opponent and day of week. A Nashville Predators Game on a Tuesday Night in November will probably get prices slightly cheaper than a Toronto Maple Leafs Game on a Friday Night. The draw for the majority of the league, especially early in the season when the Bills are still playing is extremely low compared to such rivals as Toronto, Boston, Ottawa, Montreal etc... They can probably raise ticket prices for the some teams while dropping it for others, increase ticket sales for the bad draws, still sell out (or close to sell out) the rivals and bring in the same if not more revenue from ticket prices.

I believe teams in MLB use this pricing scheme (I know the Red Sox do).

I'm from Buffalo and it pains me to say those are typical Buffalonians, beer guts, pants cinched just a bit too much, bad polo shirts and yes...mullets. If it weren't for the wings or beef-on weck

I'd never go back.

Please bring back the blue and gold.

1088178282_top.jpg

Isn't it common to promote your latest free agent acquisitions?

Upon learning of these signings, the Detroit Red Wings released a statement "Maybe we should go younger too." Looks like the Sabres are trying to reach the elusive "these 3 guys' mothers" demographic.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

The Buffalo Sabres say they are doing it "for the fans."

The National Hockey League franchise is rolling out a new pricing chart for the 2004-05 season -- if there is a season -- and with it comes a cut in several seating categories and variable pricing.

The Sabres say for season ticket holders, which numbered about 8,200 last season, the average price will be $35 per seat, lowest in the 30-team NHL. The overall average ticket price, which was $45 in 2003-04, will drop to $38.

"We are introducing this new pricing today for the loyal fans because they have always been the backbone of this franchise," said a statement from owner B. Thomas Golisano, who bought the team out of bankruptcy a year ago.

Before the start of last season, the Sabres slashed prices by an average of just over 4 percent. Still, despite 12 sellouts and an 11.6 percent increase in tickets distributed, there were many nights when HSBC Arena was well below capacity. Attendance for 40 home games (one was played in Rochester) increased to just over 15,000 from 13,619 the previous year when the franchise was operated by the NHL.

The Sabres, for the first time in the 35-year history of the franchise, have not advanced to the playoffs in three seasons.

Season tickets will now range from $10 per seat in the 300 level IV sections to $69 per seat in the 200 level club and will include a new $21 seat in the 100 level. Individual game prices will be broken into four categories under the variable pricing chart -- gold, silver, bronze and value game. There will be 11 silver, value and bronze games and seven gold games. The breakdown will determined in another week when the league releases the schedule.

Prices for those sections will range from $17-$120, gold; $15-$80, silver; $15-$82, bronze; $10-$69, value.

All said, team officials said prices will drop between 12-28 percent. The Sabres will again play one regular season game in Rochester, Golisano's home town.

Sabres director of public relations Michael Gilbert said the pricing chart will be in effect "whenever there is hockey again," a reference to the NHL's labor uncertainty. The Collective Bargaining Agreement expires Sept. 15 and Commissioner Gary Bettman has called for significant changes because of hundreds of millions of dollars in losses. Without a new labor agreement, owners may choose to lock out players.

In year one under Golisano, the Sabres claimed losses of approximately $8.5 million.

Archived