Another New Football League: the FXFL

Panthers

I don't think they did the best job marketing it. I didn't even hear about the FXFL until a few weeks ago, and I was surprised to see that Omaha (45 minutes away) had a team. Can't have people show up when people don't know there's a game going on.

1-it does not matter, people do not want to see non-NFLers play scrimmages. If you are basically rotating players to teams, forcing defensive schemes to "showcase talent", then you really are not competing, your are practicing. Or injured in the case of the dude who broke his leg.

2-THEY DO NOT HAVE ANY MONEY!

They wanted to raise $5M earlier this year and barely got half of that when they filed a Form D with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

This is a league whose CEO wants to use MiLB teams as marketing staffs, but failed to realize that MiLB teams run on very lean front offices and have summer interns. THEY DON'T GENERALLY NEED THE ADDITIONAL STAFF IN THE F'N OCTOBER!

Cities who have been part of failed leagues are weary.

They have two game next Wednesday, so that is double the number of players they have to pay.

Why do these teams insist on playing at baseball stadiums? The view is horrible. The Mammoths can play at Omaha Central High School's field. It's downtown, recently renovated (recent being a relative term), and big enough to seat everyone that would show up. Not to mention the field itself is probably much nicer than the baseball field. Yes, it would look slightly unprofessional playing at a high school field, but it's practically a small college anyway. Ie there really no way to work out a deal to play there?

They may not be able to sell beer at a high school stadium.

If no one's there, it really doesn't matter.

Hyperbole aside, these teams need to sell every $10 beer they possibly can.

They still would not get the concession revenue. MECA would as they take concession and parking revenues.

EDIT: Most importantly, they have to sign 40 new players to form their "all star format" team in the Blacktips before they play on Wednesday in Omaha. That team has no players and has yet to practice, so Wednesday won't really be a "game".

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Woods did a Reddit AMA tonight and not only claimed that his "cost containment model" does not need NFL backing, but also he expands by 2-3 teams for 2015!

First and foremost, the FXFL is a developmental league and the first of its kind since NFL Europe. With a developmental model cost containment is a key priority and one that the FXFL is committed to adhere to. With this in mind a formal relationship with the National Football League while beneficial to the FXFL is not crucial to our long term success. Our attendance numbers are in line with successful minor league baseball and NBA D-League entitles.

giphy_zpsjqbt6z1d.gif

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2j9p1l/hi_i_am_brian_woods_the_commissioner_of_the_pro/

I find it incredibly strange that the Omaha Mammoths Twitter account tweets all day every day and then as soon as the game starts they are silent. Not a single tweet during the games if I recall correctly. Are they not allowed to tweet during the game, or is whichever employee running the account busy with game day tasks? It just seems odd.

I find it incredibly strange that the Omaha Mammoths Twitter account tweets all day every day and then as soon as the game starts they are silent. Not a single tweet during the games if I recall correctly. Are they not allowed to tweet during the game, or is whichever employee running the account busy with game day tasks? It just seems odd.

One of the players?

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Brooklyn is definitely NOT in da house!

B0BfdU_CMAIXBGy_zpsthnc0m7d.jpg

So much for Woods' "cost containment model".

Meanwhile, tonight in Omaha...

B0B2a_eIcAAGpD3jpglarge_zpsee2d7f2b.jpg

So not getting the 4,000 to 5,000 fans they needed to break even...

When do we start taking bets on this being another 1 and done football league?

The fact that they have taken the field is practically a victory unto itself.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

So did the Rivals Professional Football League this summer.

It is still $hitty football and a concept which really is desired by the paying public.

Here is Woods on YouTube last night trying to convince the hundreds who may care that MJD asked to play in this. I assume next year since he is under contract with the Raiders and thinks he will be released.

Unless his franchise fees are made to not only cover the players/coaching salaries, but also his existing debt, I do not see how this can survive at all. The cities which he would like to expand to, Austin, Memphis, Portland (Hillsboro) each have issues. Mainly that Round Rock and Memphis MiLB teams control the stadiums, so if they have 1,500 or less fans a game, they end up losing money. Plus, as I said before, MiLB teams are low staffed and a short-season team like Hillsboro is even worse.

So did the Rivals Professional Football League this summer.

Have to admit this one slipped under the radar.

http://www.rivalsnation.com/

It makes the FXFL look like the NFL . . . or at least the XFL.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

<watches video>

Wait... you had Maurice Jones-Drew call you and say he wanted to play in your league, and you told him no?

Yeah. You deserve to fail.

The WSJ reported that the Brooklyn announced attendance of 1,393 was not the number who went through the turnstyles, but it was the number of tickets sold.

Woods however stated that ticket sales were greater for their next two games, which were on Friday nights (which goes against their original belief).

Brooklyn beats Omaha 15-13 on a last minute field goal,

while Boston plays a great game against the Blacktips beating them 28-10 in their first home game.

In this "scrimmage" league, there never is a good game. It isn't the WWE, but the restrictions on play make these glorified scrimmages with a cover charge for booze.

And life in the FXFL is described here.

And two weeks in, they NOW report that Nieva is a sponsor, but they never made a press release.

Archived