Players You Wish You Could Have Watched

MichiganPackers

Not sure if there is already a thread on this, but I'm a young guy and I see that a lot of posters on here are relatively recent sports fans. Because of that and the amount of documentaries, highlights, etc. that we have access to from the past now, I wanted to start a thread on what players you wished you had seen most, but played before you started watching sports.

Here are some of mine:

Larry Bird

Bo Jackson

Steve Yzerman

Eric Dickerson

Deion Sanders

Joe Montana

Julius Erving

Bart Starr

Bill Laimbeer

Jack Lambert

Vladimir Konstantinov

Ray Nitschke

Dick Butkus

Untitled_zps5e4a382a.png

I'll add Tony Gwynn to the list. A player that almost never struck out and could and put the ball in play would have been fun to watch. Also, I only got to see the last few years of Dominik Hasek's career, but to this day he's still my favorite athlete. I wish I could have seen him more.

It's _____________ and Toledo still sucks.

[insert time here]

NHL

Gordie Howe

Maurice Richard

Bobby Orr

Bobby Hull

Wayne Gretzky

MLB

Babe Ruth

Lou Gehrig

Ty Cobb

Jackie Robinson

Johnny Pesky

Ted Williams

Hank Aaron

Tony Gwynn

NFL

Bart Starr

Joe Montana

Jim Brown

Walter Payton

Barry Sanders

NBA

Michael Jordan

Magic Johnson

Larry Bird

Soccer

Diego Maradona

Pele

Franz Beckenbauer

Jurgen Klinsmann

Bobby Charlton

Roberto Baggio

NHL

Gordie Howe

Bobby Orr

MLB

Babe Ruth

Hank Aaron

Ty Cobb

Jackie Robinson

Willie Mays

Harmon Killebrew

NFL

OJ Simpson (I know, but he was awesome)

Jim Brown

NBA

Pistol Pete

Oscar Robertson

Wilt Chamberlain

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Kentucky Basketball

1. Dan Issel
  2. Jack Givens
  3. Pat Riley
  4. Rick Robey
  5. Wah Wah Jones (Only player to have number retired for both basketball & football)

NCAA Football

1. Jim Thorpe
  2. Red Grange
  3. Sammy Baugh
  4. Earl Campbell
  5. Sonny Collins (UK)

NFL

1. Jim Brown (greatest RB ever)
  2. Gale Sayers
  3. Dick Butkus
  4. Deacon Jones
  5. Larry Csonka (72 Dolphins)
  6. Mercury Morris (72 Dolphins)
  7. Nick Buoniconti (72 Dolphins)

MLB

1. Babe Ruth
  2. "Shoeless" Joe Jackson
  3. Ty Cobb
  4. Willie Mays
  5. Ted WIlliams

NHL

1. Gordie Howe
  2. Bobby Orr
  3. Guy Lafleur

spacer.png

garrincha (brazil 1950), andrea di stefano (argentina) and ferenc puskas (hungary) (both of real madrid)....nuff said i reckon they have to be my all time football players in my book

everyone says pele and maradonna but garrincha was pele AFTER needing corrective surgery on his legs as a kid (and needing braces like forrest gump) witch tells you a lot

and whilst maradonna was a genious on the pitch (and surprisingly for an englishman i agree with him when he says that "shilton wouldnt own up to sweeping an ball that was over the line out of the goal ....why should i admit i used my hand to score) di stefano and puskas had an edge in my opinion

Detroit Tigers: Cecil Fielder

Al Kaline

Mark "The Bird" Fidrych

Ty Cobb

Hank Greenberg

Rest of MLB: Willie Mays

Babe Ruth

Nolan Ryan

Randy Johnson (with the early 2000s Diamondbacks)

Ted Williams

George Brett

Detroit Red Wings: Terry Sawchuck

Gordie Howe

Rest of NHL: Bobby Orr

Maurice Richard

Wayne Gretzky

Mario Lemieux

Detroit Lions: Barry Sanders

Rest of NFL: Joe Montana

William "Refrigerator" Perry

Detroit Pistons: All of the Bad Boys era players

Rest of NBA: Wilt "The Stilt" Chamberlain

Larry Bird

Dominique Wilkins

Bill Russell

Earvin "Magic" Johnson

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

I'm not so sure if there's anyone I would want to see so much as I would just like to go back in time before TV existed, because every athlete I can come up with played in the days of black and white film.

I would to go to a baseball game and know its going to end in two hours. Or go to a title fight at Yankee Stadium. Or go to a hockey game and actually see white boards. Or any sporting event without seeing Budweiser logo feces sprayed all over the place. To me that would be a far more unique experience then watching Babe Ruth belt a homer or Joe Louis knock someone out.

How great of an experience it would actually be? I'm not sure. Those are the aspects of yesteryear that I would love to see come back. But I'm all set the rampant racism of pre 1960's America, and having it take an hour plus to get to the stadium/arena if you lived more then 10 miles away. Not to mention also seeing players who were using Spring Training and Training Camp to get in shape as opposed to shake off some rust as is the case now. An average player in any of the four major sports today taken as is would probably be an All-Star if transported back 60 years as is, given the advantages they would have in diet, medicine and training. So as much as I think the influx of money has hurt sports in regards to making it more commercialized, its certainly helped out a great deal in generating better athletes.

As far as a list goes:

1. Babe Ruth.

2. Satchel Paige

3. Wilt Chamberlain

4. Sugar Ray Robinson

5. Ty Cobb

6. Joe Louis

7. Jack Dempsey

8. Josh Gibson

9. Ted Williams

10. Rogers Hornsby

Louisville Football

• Browning Nagle
  • Chris Redman
  • Tom Jackson
  • Ted Washington
  • Johnny Unitas

Louisville Basketball

• Darrell Griffith (and the Doctors of Dunk in general)
  • Pervis Ellison
  • DeJuan Wheat
  • Charlie Tyra
  • Wes Unseld

Tampa Bay Rays/Devil Rays

• 1998-2000 Devil Rays (Rolando Arrojo, Wade Boggs, Jose Canseco, Fred McGriff).

Indianapolis Colts

• Johnny Unitas
  • Lenny Lyles
  • John Mackey
  • Chris Dickerson
  • Jeff George

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

I'm not so sure if there's anyone I would want to see so much as I would just like to go back in time before TV existed, because every athlete I can come up with played in the days of black and white film.

I would to go to a baseball game and know its going to end in two hours. Or go to a title fight at Yankee Stadium. Or go to a hockey game and actually see white boards. Or any sporting event without seeing Budweiser logo feces sprayed all over the place. To me that would be a far more unique experience then watching Babe Ruth belt a homer or Joe Louis knock someone out.

How great of an experience it would actually be? I'm not sure. Those are the aspects of yesteryear that I would love to see come back. But I'm all set the rampant racism of pre 1960's America, and having it take an hour plus to get to the stadium/arena if you lived more then 10 miles away. Not to mention also seeing players who were using Spring Training and Training Camp to get in shape as opposed to shake off some rust as is the case now. An average player in any of the four major sports today taken as is would probably be an All-Star if transported back 60 years as is, given the advantages they would have in diet, medicine and training. So as much as I think the influx of money has hurt sports in regards to making it more commercialized, its certainly helped out a great deal in generating better athletes.

As far as a list goes:

1. Babe Ruth.

2. Satchel Paige

3. Wilt Chamberlain

4. Sugar Ray Robinson

5. Ty Cobb

6. Joe Louis

7. Jack Dempsey

8. Josh Gibson

9. Ted Williams

10. Rogers Hornsby

Oh yeah, Satchel Paige! I forgot to put him on my list! Nice choice, by the way.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

NHL:

Gordie Howe

The Islanders Dynasty

Maurice Richard

MLB:

Hank Greenberg

Babe Ruth

Stan Musial

Al Kaline

NFL:

Bobby Layne
The 1950s Lions (Back when you could say Detroit Lions and elite franchise in the same sentence...)

The 1970s Steelers

NBA:

The Bad Boys

Larry Bird

Magic Johnson

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

NHL:

Gordie Howe

The Islanders Dynasty

Maurice Richard

MLB:

Hank Greenberg

Babe Ruth

Stan Musial

Al Kaline

NFL:

Bobby Layne

The 1950s Lions (Back when you could say Detroit Lions and elite franchise in the same sentence...)

The 1970s Steelers

NBA:

The Bad Boys

Larry Bird

Magic Johnson

How old are you? I always assumed we were about the same age.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Archived