Blue and Yellow vs Navy and Gold

Davidellias

Pitt, on the other hand, never made any sense to me. When Notre Dame and Navy are amongst your biggest historical rivals, why would you design uniforms that make your games against them look like intrasquad matches? Nevermind that they owned the mustard gold they switched from, which hasn't been seen before(?) and definitely not since anywhere in the sports world (at least not on this side of the pond).

What I'm thinking may be a reason is to distance themselves from WVU, who I'd say is a bigger rival to Pitt than Notre Dame or Navy.

I think they look more like WVU now in that they use the same shade of blue. Before, they had a royal that contrasted well with WVU's navy, and a shade of gold that was just different enough from WVU's athletic gold. If WVU ever decides to wear metallic gold throwback helmets against them, it'll be the Notre Dame/Navy problem all over again.

Pitt never made any sense to me. When Notre Dame and Navy are amongst your biggest historical rivals, why would you design uniforms that make your games against them look like intrasquad matches? Nevermind that they owned the mustard gold they switched from, which hasn't been seen before(?) and definitely not since anywhere in the sports world (at least not on this side of the pond).

That was an awesome shade of mustard yellow.

d9c1cf9200f73b26e6d9edc77b35e4c3.jpg

I'm sure I am in the extreme minority, but I think royal and vegas gold look good together...a la Tulsa. A team like the Brewers could probably come up with something decent using royal and their current gold.

tul-11-12-allblue-jeromemiron-675x380.jp

Honestly, there are some color schemes that instantly look dated to me, and Royal/Yellow is one of them. Every time I see it used, I think: "Hmmm, they wanted to go retro with this." Navy/Gold looks more modern, but it can look dreadfully dull, especially when non-shiny materials are used. I prefer Navy/Yellow, it's a nicer, fresher mix of colors.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Buffalo went from a Royal and yellow:

clintmalarchuk.jpg

eventually to a Navy and yellow (and grey).

mikhail_grigorenko_buffalo_042613.jpg

The original Royal ones were better. The Royal being a small part of that.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers went from Royal and Gold

crop_20144772545.jpg

to Navy and gold ...

crop_20456271054.jpg

plus gold and navy

F189DB94AAEEBEEE2AC6EC18701A_h243_w430_m

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

I think the Rams could pull of Navy and yellow. Take away the gold, lose the royal. Keep it for retro.

Brewers go back to Royal but keep the gold. keeps the barley appearance, and goes back to the royal blue roots. Very unique color combination, something needed in the MLB.

No opinion on Pitt.

I know one thing, I can't think of many overhauls that were more poorly thought out than Pitt's. Seriously, they usually tend to look like a low rent Notre Dame to me nowadays. Fortunately they largely stopped using that ugly mountain panther or whatever it's supposed to be.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

a large part of it is all teams have chased the trends of the time. today's modern design is heavily influenced by retro design for a few reasons. some people have suggested that is because of the recession and during hard times people look for things that remind them of better times. so it's no surprise to see that blue and yellow and a lot of older color palettes are coming back around. even if it's just as a throwback for now.

another part of it is trying to be different. more and more teams chase the trend (moving to darker colors) until it becomes over saturated and the pendulum swings the other way. you can't ignore the connotations and expressions of the palettes either though. at least speaking for the Rams, they changed to a darker palette that reflected their brand better at the time. they were the greatest show on turf and THE team at the time they made the switch. but they looked cheap and dated. the color change made them a modern team that looked much more prestigious, refined, professional. the true gold was a reflection of the hardware they were winning (gold is often synonymous with winning and championships).

its all these things in one that made for a perfect storm and perfect time to change. personally, i like the "old gold, new blue" (Pacers colors) approach. you get a fairly unique palette with that, retain some links to the past, and have a primary color that everyone likes.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived