Tigers6884

Your Favorite Team's "Mount Rushmore"

In thinking about "Faces of the Franchise" I've realized that some teams don't have one face of the franchise, but rather many legends that represent the team. So I thought to myself "Wouldn't a sports-themed Mount Rushmore-type list make more sense?". Being a Detroit Tigers fan, this is an especially tough list because they've had so many legends wear the Old English D on the front of their jerseys. But without further ado, here I go.

Ty Cobb: An obvious choice, simply one of the best hitters and base runners in league history. Even if he was a great pain, he was also a great baseball player.

Hank Greenberg: A unique choice, I know. But he was one of the Tiger's most prolific home run sluggers in their history. It also helps that he was a hero to Detroit's Jewish population at a time when they needed a hero.

Al Kaline: A no doubter here. I mean, he is nicknamed Mr. Tiger after all! He spent his entire career with Detroit, and he is known for his class as much as he was for his playing skill he had back in the day.

Alan Trammell AND Lou Whitaker: There's no way I could split up one of the best double play combos in history by choosing one over the other. It is almost impossible to not think of one without the other. They spent their entire career together, and during that time they became fan favorites for their amazing defensive plays and for leading Detroit to the 1984 World Series.

In compiling this list I made the decision to leave off some players that still meant a lot to the organization (Willie Horton and Kirk Gibson, to name a few). I also decided to stick to players only, which led to Mike Ilitch and Sparky Anderson being left out. I thought about putting Miguel Cabrera on the list, but I'm waiting to see how the rest of his career pans out.

So what's your list?

Pretty good topic for some decent discussion; here would be my list for the Seattle Mariners.

Mount Mariners:

Edgar Martinez - x7 All-Star, club leader in several categories

Ken Griffey Jr. - Greatest Mariner of All-Time (still see plenty Griffey jerseys at Safeco)

Felix Hernandez - Should he end his career in a mariners uniform, he's on Mount Mariners

Alvin Davis Jr. - Probably the clubs (and cities) first superstar player

Ducks:

Paul Kariya - I know some fans in Anaheim don't like him because of the way he left, but he was my favorite player as a out of town kid fan and he was the Mighty Ducks in the early years.

Teemu Selanne - It's Teemu. Nothing else to be said.

J.S. Giguere - Nearly single-handedly brought the Mighty Ducks to a Stanley Cup while winning the Conn Smythe on the losing team and then won with the Ducks. The best goalie in Ducks history so far.

Scott Niedermayer - The last spot is hard. Getzlaf and Perry could fit in but I picked Niedermayer because he captained the Ducks to the Stanley Cup and is currently a coach on the team.

Cards

Stan Musial

Bob Gibson

Rogers Hornsby

Ozzie Smith

Titans

Eddie George

Steve McNair

Kerry Collins

Warren Moon

Michigan football:

Bo Schembechler

Tom Harmon*

Desmond Howard

Charles Woodson

Packers:

Curly Lambeau

Vince Lombardi

Ray Nitschke

Brett Favre

*would consider replacing Tom Harmon with Braylon Edwards because Harmon is from so long ago that few people are actually familiar with him

Dallas Cowboys Mt. Rushmore:

Tom Landry

Roger Staubach

Bob Lilly

Emmitt Smith

The San Antonio Spurs Mt. Rushmore

George Gervin - The Iceman, the original coolest sharpshooter and the player predominately responsible for keeping the Spurs respectable transitioning from an ABA team to an NBA spoiler.

David Robinson - The Admiral, arguably the reason the Spurs even stayed in San Antonio; an absolute offensive specimen that transformed into a perennial defensive force.

Tim Duncan - The Big Fundamental...reason being? The next championship ring he'll get will have to be on another hand since his other five fingers are occupied. One of the best power forwards, or even the best pure power forwards, to have ever played.

Gregg Popovich - Three coach of the years, five championships, has mastered team development and was one of the first in the league to not only explore the international field but has perfected the Euro-American hybrid ball that every team is going to try to simulate this offseason.

Cavaliers:

Austin Carr- Basically the team's first star, "Mr. Cavalier"

Mark Price- 4x All-Star, 3x All-NBA Third Team

Zydrunas Illgauskas- Fan favorite, 2x All Star (could replace with Brad Daughtery or Larry Nance)

LeBron James- Even though he left, still a 2x MVP, 6x All Star, led team to only Finals appearance

Next in line- Kyrie Irving, Brad Daughtery, Larry Nance

Browns:

Otto Grahm- led the team to several AAFC Titles.

Jim Brown- Greatest player in Browns history, 3x MVP

Ozzie Newsome- 3x Pro Bowler, 1x First Team All-Pro

Brian Sipe/Bernie Kosar- Sipe was 1x NFL MVP, Kosar led team to most success during Super Bowl era

Next in line- Joe Thomas, Marion Motley

Mount Oilers

Wayne Gretzky- Best player in the history of the game, broke a ton of records, yaddah yaddah yaddah.

Mark Messier- One of the best leaders in the history of the game, won the cup in '90.

Ryan Smyth- Face of the non-80's franchise.

Grant Fuhr- Best goalie in franchise history.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers:

Tony Dungy

Lee Roy Selmon

Derrick Brooks

Ronde Barber

Honorable Mention:

-Alstott

-Sapp

-Rice

Anaheim Ducks: Teemu Selanne, Teemu Selanne, Teemu Selanne, Teemu Selanne

But yeah, monkeypower probably has it right. Give it a few more years and you could probably put Getzlaf or Perry up there in place of Kariya. Depends on how the team goes and how they go. And even then you'd have to pick one or the other, because Teemu and Jiggy aren't moving. They'll have tenure over Scotty, but Neidermayers impact on the franchise as a whole (basically legitimizing them and bringing the Cup) can't be understated.

---

Angels: Tim Salmon, Nolan Ryan, Rod Carew, Mike Scioscia (if it has to be players, Garrett Anderson.)

Colts: Peyton Manning, Johnny Unitas, Marvin Harrison, Raymond Berry (or Lenny Moore)

Lakers: Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Jerry West, Kobe Bryant (A lot of candidates. George Mikan, James Worthy, Shaq, Wilt,or even Chick Hearn. But I have to think those are the four.)

Bruins: Bobby Orr, Cam Neely, Ray Bourque, Phil Esposito*

*Could also be Chara. Hopefully years down the road it will be either Bergeron/Lucic/Krejci

I agree with Orr, Espo, and Bourque, but I'd put Gerry Cheevers on the list over Neely. What Patrick Roy was to butterfly and Brodeur was to hybrid, Cheevers was to whatever the hell his style was. (Plus, that mask).

Or I'd go with Willie O'Ree, who broke the NHL's color barrier.

And on the Pats, I'd say Cappelletti over Morgan since he's both a Patriots Hall of Famer, and an AFL Hall of Famer. He also won an AFL MVP as a WR/K, and is only receiver to do that in the NFL or AFL since 1960. If anything, he was the first true star the Patriots ever had.

Carolina Panthers-

Jerry Richardson

Sam Mills

Steve Smith

Cam Newton

Charlotte Hornets-

Muggsy Bogues

Larry Johnson

Hugo the Hornet

Al Jefferson

My teams have no history.

Vancouver Canucks

Stan Smyl

Trevor Linden

Pavel Bure

Markus Naslund

Cards

Stan Musial

Bob Gibson

Rogers Hornsby

Ozzie Smith

Some may still not like it, but Albert Pujols would probably be on there.

Twins:

Kirby Puckett

Harmon Killebrew

Rod Carew

Bert Blyleven

(Top 3 are easy...I don't love Bert there...others are Hrbek and Mauer, both homegrown)

Vikings:

Cris Carter

Alan Page

Fran Tarkenton

Adrian Peterson

T-Wolves:

Kevin Garnett

Kevin Garnett

Kevin Garnett

Kevin Garnett

Wild (subject to change very soon):
Marian Gaborik

Mikko Koivu

Niklas Backstrom

Andrew Brunette (I guess)

Packers:
Johnny "Blood" McNally

Vince Lombardi

Reggie White

Aaron Rodgers

Would Abe Lincoln be on Mount Rushmore if he'd defected to the Confederacy? No he wouldn't, and that's why Brett Favre isn't on here.

Brewers:

Robin Yount

Paul Molitor

Hank Aaron

Rollie Fingers

Bucks:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Oscar Robertson

Sidney Moncrief

Ray Allen