Tigers6884

Your Favorite Team's "Mount Rushmore"

Ole Miss Rebels Football

Archie Manning

Eli Manning

Deuce McCalister

Johnny Vaught

Louisville Football:

• Howard Schnellenberger: He built the Louisville program from the ground up (and saved the program in the process) and the crowning moment of his tenure was the 1991 Fiesta Bowl when the Cards dominate Stalling's Bama team 34-7. However, the most lasting impact of his tenure is that it lead to the creation of Papa John's Cardinal Stadium.
  • Teddy Bridgewater: One of the most decorated quarterbacks in school history and led Louisville to a 23-3 record in the last two years including bowl wins over Florida and Miami. Not to mention starting as a freshman and broke the record of most TD's in a season in school history with 31. What set him apart though is his humility, class, and is universally beloved by all Louisville fans.
  • Elvis Dumervil: Elvis is probably the most dominant defensive player in school history and in 2005, had one of the best seasons ever for a lineman with 20 sacks and 10 forced fumbles. He still has the NCAA record for sacks in a game with 6 against Kentucky.
  • Bobby Petrino: If Schnellenberger was the face of Louisville football during the 80's and 90's, then Petrino was in the 2000's. Petrino went 41-9 in his first tenure including wins against Boise State, West Virginia, and Kentucky. With Louisville rehiring him earlier this year and heading to the ACC, Petrino could continue to add his legacy at Louisville.

Louisville Basketball

• Denny Crum: With a program that has only 4 head coaches since 1944, it's hard to ignore what the school would be like without Denny Crum. He is still Louisville basketball and led the Cards to 2 national championships and 6 final fours. He built stars from the "Doctors of Dunks" to Pervis Ellison and DeJuan Wheat.
  • Darrell Griffith: "Dr. Dunkenstein" himself not only led the Cards to a national championship in 1980, he also revitalized dunking in the college game (was actually banned from 1967 to 1976). HIs number is retired proudly in the rafters and is beloved by Cardinals fans.
  • Rick Pitino: Revitalized Louisville basketball in the 2000's and led the Cards to 3 final fours and a national championship in 2013. His emphasis on defense helped Louisville return to relevance and became an elite program again.
  • Russ Smith: He may not have the imposing size of other Louisville greats, but his work ethic is second to none and helped the Cards to their first title since 1986 in 2013. He was the first Louisville first-team All-American since Clifford Rozier and became a cog for 4 years (rare for a power program) in the machine that is Louisville's defense.

Louisville Sports

• Tom Jurich: Tom Jurich is one of the best athletic directors in the nation and is basically the Louisville athletic department. Tom helped made football competitive and led the program to the Big East, and now, the ACC. What really sealed Tom by himself is the 2012-2013 school year when the football , basketball, and baseball programs had unprecedented success in which it was called the "Year of the Cardinal".

Tampa Bay Rays

• Carl Crawford: Face of the Rays franchise from 2002-2010.
  • Joe Maddon: Led the Rays to 4 postseason berths in 6 years including the AL pennant in 2008
  • Evan Longoria: The future face of the Rays and led the Rays to considerable success.
  • Andrew Friedman: Without him, there wouldn't be Joe Maddon, David Price, Evan Longoria. He built the Rays into what they are today, a competitive small market club.

Detroit Lions

- Barry Sanders

- Bobby Layne

- Doak Walker

- Lem Barney

(If I was just going off of my lifetime, it'd have Barry, Jason Hanson, Herman Moore and probably Megatron.)

Los Angeles Angels (until it's just 4 hilarious Trout faces)

- Tim Salmon

- Rod Carew

- Nolan Ryan

- Garret Anderson

Detroit Red Wings

- Gordie Howe

- Terry Sawchuk

- Steve Yzerman

- Nicklas Lidstrom

Phoenix Suns

- Steve Nash

- Charles Barkley

- Alvan Adams

- Kevin Johnson

(Sorry, Thunder Dan.)

Virginia Tech: (Football)

-Frank Beamer

-Bruce Smith

-Michael Vick
-Corey Moore (you could make an argument for Tyrod or Randall here)

Detroit Red Wings:

Gordie Howe

Steve Yzerman

Terry Sawchuk

Nicklas Lidstrom

Detroit Lions:

Bobby Layne

Joe Schmidt

Barry Sanders

Calvin Johnson

Detroit Pistons:

Isiah Thomas

Dave Bing

Bob Lanier

Chuck Daly

Detroit Tigers:

Ty Cobb

Hank Greenberg

Al Kaline

Alan Trammell

Toronto Maple Leafs:

Ted Kennedy

Dave Keon

Doug Gilmour

Mats Sundin

Pittsburgh Steelers:

Art Rooney

Joe Greene

Chuck Noll

Jerome Bettis

(This was a hard one, so many stars from the 1970s and the 2000s...)

Central Michigan Chippewas Football:

Roy Kramer

Herb Deromedi

Dan LeFevour

Antonio Brown

Louisville Football:

• Howard Schnellenberger: He built the Louisville program from the ground up (and saved the program in the process) and the crowning moment of his tenure was the 1991 Fiesta Bowl when the Cards dominate Stalling's Bama team 34-7. However, the most lasting impact of his tenure is that it lead to the creation of Papa John's Cardinal Stadium.
  • Teddy Bridgewater: One of the most decorated quarterbacks in school history and led Louisville to a 23-3 record in the last two years including bowl wins over Florida and Miami. Not to mention starting as a freshman and broke the record of most TD's in a season in school history with 31. What set him apart though is his humility, class, and is universally beloved by all Louisville fans.
  • Elvis Dumervil: Elvis is probably the most dominant defensive player in school history and in 2005, had one of the best seasons ever for a lineman with 20 sacks and 10 forced fumbles. He still has the NCAA record for sacks in a game with 6 against Kentucky.
  • Bobby Petrino: If Schnellenberger was the face of Louisville football during the 80's and 90's, then Petrino was in the 2000's. Petrino went 41-9 in his first tenure including wins against Boise State, West Virginia, and Kentucky. With Louisville rehiring him earlier this year and heading to the ACC, Petrino could continue to add his legacy at Louisville.

No Johnny Unitas?

Louisville Football:

No Johnny Unitas?

Unitas might have been the best player to ever come out of the UofL, but his career there wasn't as good as Chris Redman, Brian Brohm, or even Stefan Lefors (Johnny U only threw 27 TD's at UofL and many of his records are broken by those 3). If the list was for after their college career, then he would be there without a doubt. But this is about their college career and that's why he isn't on the Mt.Rushmore for Louisville (honorable mention though).

Here's a new team below.

Indianapolis/Baltimore Colts

• Johnny Unitas: Greatest Game Ever Played and Super Bowl V; Nuff said.
  • John Mackey: Revolutionized the Tight End and first of the receiving tight ends.
  • Peyton Manning: Best Colts QB since Unitas
  • Marvin Harrison: Modern equivalent of Raymond Berry and future Hall of Famer.
  • Honorable Mentions: Dwight Freeney, Gino Marchetti, Raymond Berry, Lenny Moore, Reggie Wayne, Art Donovan
Edited by Raysfan12

Mt. Islanders

Mike Bossy

Dennis Potvin

Billy Smith

Bryan Trottier

Honorable Mentions:

Clark Gillies

John Tavares

Bobby Nystrom

Packers:

Curly Lambeau

Vince Lombardi

Bart Starr

Reggie White

Would Abe Lincoln be on Mount Rushmore if he'd defected to the Confederacy? No he wouldn't, and that's why Brett Favre isn't on here.

Brewers:

Robin Yount

Paul Molitor

Hank Aaron

Rollie Fingers

Bucks:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Oscar Robertson

Sidney Moncrief

Ray Allen

I love your reasoning for not including Brett Favre. Therefor, you get a like from me. However, why is Paul Molitor on Mt. Brewers when Brett Favre isn't on Mt. Packers?

since the other Minnesota teams were done I thought I do the mpls lakers and Minnesota kicks

Lakers

Mikan

Baylor

Pollard

Mikkelsen

Kicks

Ace Ntsoelengoe

Alan Willey

Alan Merrick

Geoff Barnett

Packers:

Curly Lambeau

Vince Lombardi

Bart Starr

Reggie White

Would Abe Lincoln be on Mount Rushmore if he'd defected to the Confederacy? No he wouldn't, and that's why Brett Favre isn't on here.

Brewers:

Robin Yount

Paul Molitor

Hank Aaron

Rollie Fingers

Bucks:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Oscar Robertson

Sidney Moncrief

Ray Allen

I love your reasoning for not including Brett Favre. Therefor, you get a like from me. However, why is Paul Molitor on Mt. Brewers when Brett Favre isn't on Mt. Packers?

A fair question... here are my reasons.

-The Packers have a lot more worthy players than the Brewers do. If I were to replace Molitor, it'd probably have to be with Ryan Braun, which opens up an entire new set of problems.

-The Brewers-Blue Jays rivalry isn't nearly as bitter as the Packers-Vikings. And the Blue Jays never had a habit of signing any player that ever so much as took a whiz in the clubhouse bathroom at County Stadium.

-Most Brewers fans are well aware that Wendy Selig's offer to Moli was incredibly insulting, considering what he'd meant to the franchise. It's a lot harder to hold a grudge against him for that reason. Favre, on the other hand, essentially lied to the Packers, then expected the team to rearrange its plans according to his (in)decision.

-Brett Favre ended his career in Minnesota as part of a calculated plan to harm the Packers (which backfired horribly, horribly right). Molitor went to Minnesota because that was his hometown ballclub.

No Johnny Unitas?

Unitas might have been the best player to ever come out of the UofL, but his career there wasn't as good as Chris Redman, Brian Brohm, or even Stefan Lefors (Johnny U only threw 27 TD's at UofL and many of his records are broken by those 3). If the list was for after their college career, then he would be there without a doubt. But this is about their college career and that's why he isn't on the Mt.Rushmore for Louisville (honorable mention though).

Isn't Unitas the only player at Lousiville to have his number retired, though? That should count for something. You also have to keep in mind that Unitas played in an era that was much more run oriented... especially at the college level.

No Johnny Unitas?

Isn't Unitas the only player at Louisville to have his number retired, though? That should count for something. You also have to keep in mind that Unitas played in an era that was much more run oriented... especially at the college level.

Good point though. It's hard to pick though when Louisville has some great QB's from their history (Redman, Brohm, Bridgewater, etc). I picked Bridgewater over Unitas as the final head for his accomplishments at Louisville (2011 Freshman All-American, 2012 Big East player of the Year, and Sugar Bowl MVP) and compared to when Unitas' playing days, Louisville has far more exposure right now than there's ever been (which helps Bridgewater). Johnny Unitas may have his number retired, but his contributions at Louisville weren't as big as the other 4. If there was a 5th head, Unitas will definitely be there. Also, thanks for the good conversation because I had the tough decision between the QB's and showed me the argument for Unitas (forgetting the context during CFB during his time).

Edited by Raysfan12

Auburn Football

I think the three Heisman winners are a guarantee to be on the list, with that final spot being the toss up. There's a lot of ways you could look at it, but I'll go with the #1 coach in Auburn history.

-Pat Sullivan

-Bo Jackson

-Cam Newton

-Shug Jordan

Auburn Football

I think the three Heisman winners are a guarantee to be on the list, with that final spot being the toss up. There's a lot of ways you could look at it, but I'll go with the #1 coach in Auburn history.

-Pat Sullivan

-Bo Jackson

-Cam Newton

-Shug Jordan

Solid list. Having trouble with Bama other than Bear and Saban. To many other greats to choose from. Would like your opinion.

Auburn Football

-Pat Sullivan

-Bo Jackson

-Cam Newton

-Shug Jordan

Solid list. Having trouble with Bama other than Bear and Saban. To many other greats to choose from. Would like your opinion.

Honestly, Saban may not be on there. I think Joe Namath would. Hmm...does a Heisman guarantee you a spot here? If so, the least deserving winner in recent years in Mark Ingram would be on there. Gene Stallings was a national champion and HOF coach, but he was ran out of tan, so that's another toss up. Maybe Bart Starr and Kenny Stabler? I'm trying to be serious here without going funny (Forest Gump, other stupid nominations), but I'm no Alabama football historian.

I think those named above would be a good start. Don't ask an Alabama "fan." They hate some of the best names and love all the recent players. So, it'll be tough to do anything with them.

Yeah, Bama is tough. I think Saban gets the nod because he is arguably the best coach in college football. He brought Alabama back into relevance and delivered 2 National Championships in a row. I like Namath on there as well, but if we are talking championships, AJ McCarron is in contention for it, winning 2 in a row as a starter, and being the winningest QB in the history of the program. So I'll just do one for the Rebs.

1. Johnny Vaught

2. Archie Manning

3. Eli Manning

4. Chucky Mullins

49ers

Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott

Giants

Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Barry Bonds, Will Clark

Kings

Chris Webber, Mitch Richmond, Vlade Divac, Mike Bibby

Sharks

Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, Evgeni Nabokov, Owen Nolan

Arizona Basketball

Lute Olson, Sean Elliott, Steve Kerr, Miles Simon

Not sure about the Giants one, cause I know there are other good candidates.

Carolina Panthers

Jerry Richardson

Mike McCormack

Sam Mills

Thomas Davis

My team is about as cut and dry as it gets. There is really no debating any of the four guys on the list.