Your Favorite Team's "Mount Rushmore"

Tigers6884

Green Bay Packers:

Bart Starr

John Brockington

James Lofton

Brett Favre

Aaron Rogers*

Interesting choices... I take it you're sticking to Post-Super Bowl era players, which is fine. But I'd love to hear your rationale for John Brockington.

Green Bay Packers:

Bart Starr

John Brockington

James Lofton

Brett Favre

Aaron Rogers*

Interesting choices... I take it you're sticking to Post-Super Bowl era players, which is fine. But I'd love to hear your rationale for John Brockington.

Because I like him. That's my rationale. I'm beginning to wish I'd never posted in this thread. B) Anyway, I stuck with players who played in my lifetime. And...from the post directly above yours...

The players I chose aren't necessarily the best players, they're just the ones who make up my personal Mount Rushmore. As I said, I went off the script a little.

Carolina Panthers

Jerry Richardson

Sam Mills

Thomas Davis

Cam Newton

If you're just looking at on the field performance, Steve Smith & Julius Peppers are at the very top. However, Peppers abandoned the team & Smith sucker punched 3 teammates over the course of his career. It's more than just on field accolades.

The 4 people I picked are there to stay for the foreseeable future. Hard to imagine anyone overtaking any of them for a long, long time. Richardson, the owner & man who brought the team to Carolina. Mills, who was the captain of the first few squads, then later a coach who gave the inspirational speech as a coach during the'03 Super Bowl run while battling cancer. His speech, in which he said keep pounding, remains the teams motto to this day. Davis, who is the walking definition of keep pounding after suffering 3 ACL tears & reconstructions to the same knee in just 23 months. He's played his entire career here & is the heart & soul of the team. He's also a damn good player. And lastly, Cam Newton. Premature? Probably. But Newton is well on his way to being the best player in team history. He's the face of the franchise this young organization has never had. He's the first star in Carolina to get national attention. Just putting him there & not delaying the inevitable.

Charlotte Hornets

Muggsy Bogues

Larry Johnson

Michael Jordan

Baron Davis

Would've put Mourning over Jordan but he was a bitch who forced his way out of Charlotte. Jordan brought the name back to the city & has rebuilt the mess of a roster he inherited from Bob Johnson. Muggsy/Zo/LJ were the face of early teams, then a young & exciting Baron led later teams. If he stays around long enough, Al Jefferson could wind up overtaking Baron.

Hickory Crawdads (SAL Single-A)

Magglio Ordóñez

Andrew McCutchen

Jim Abbott

Joey Gallo

Ordonez & McCutchen are the most all known alumni. There are other notables such as Carlos Lee & Jose Bautista but I went a different direction. Abbott was more memorable, being that he was a one handed pitcher. Gallo played for the team last year & was probably the most exciting player they've ever had. He joined the team straight out of high school & knocked out 38 home runs in around 100 games.

Chargers:

Alworth, Fouts, Winslow, Seau

Some Bolts fans may argue for Tomlinson in place of either of these guys.

Padres:

Dave Winfield, Randy Jones, Tony Gwynn

Considering the Padres' futility since their 1998 NL pennant, these three were the easiest to pick, but I can't think of a fourth guy to be on the Padres Mt. Rushmore.

SDSU:

Don Coryell, Tony Gwynn, Marshall Faulk

Not sure who would else would be on the SDSU Rushmore. I thought about Kawhi Leonard, but he still has a long career ahead of him.

Using strictly players:

Celtics:

Russell

Bird

Pierce

Havlicek

Patriots:

Brady

Big Vince

Bruschi

Troy Brown

The Cetlics was easy for me, all four are in the in or near the top 50 players of all time (only Pierce is even debatable), and were definitive franchise legends that personify what it means to be a Celtic.

The Patriots, for me, had to have guys picked from the super bowl runs since A: I was born in '98 and that's all I really got to see live and I grew up on that, and B: this period was the best and most successful in the team's history. So I tried to narrow it down to the four guys that really have become fan favorites, impact players, and define what it really means to be a patriot. Brady, Vince and Bruschi were slam dunk picks, but the fourth guy was difficult for me. Ty Law was in the discussion, so was Vrabel, and Vinatieri, and some other players, but when it came down to it Troy Brown is everything it means to be a patriot. He is the definitive patriot player (save for Brady/Vince/Bruschi who are legends in their own right) Troy Brown was everything Patriots fans love; a down to earth, hard-working overachiever who maximized his talents by giving max effort and finding new ways each week to help the team win. He also was a key contributor and a big reason for our success in the last 15 year or so.

Chargers:

Padres:

Considering the Padres' futility since their 1998 NL pennant, these three were the easiest to pick, but I can't think of a fourth guy to be on the Padres Mt. Rushmore.

SDSU:

Not sure who would else would be on the SDSU Rushmore. I thought about Kawhi Leonard, but he still has a long career ahead of him.

What about Hoffman?

Chargers:

Padres:

SDSU:

What about Hoffman?

Thanks for reminding me!

Padres (revised) Mt. Rushmore

Dave Winfield

Randy Jones

Tony Gwynn

Trevor Hoffman

Detroit Red Wings:

Howe

Lindstrom

Yzerman

Sawchuk

BGSU Hockey:

Brian Holzinger

Jerry York (coach)

George McPhee

Rob Blake

BGSU Football:

Doyt Perry. One gigantic head of Doyt Perry.

Indy Colts:

Unitas

Manning

Harrison

Dungy (coach)

Chicago White Sox:

Thomas

Shoeless Joe

Aparicio

Appling

Steelers

- Mean Joe Greene

- Troy Polamalu

- Terry Bradshaw

- Jack Lambert

- Honorable Mentions: Hines Ward and Franco Harris

I chose Lambert over Hines, because he was on those amazing 70's teams, and doesn't get as much recognition as he deserves even though he is a HOF. I chose Lambert over Harris, because I honestly think Lambert epitomized that defense along with Greene.

Marlins

- Giancarlo Stanton

- Jeff Conine

- Miguel Cabrera

- Jack McKeon

Cabrera is obviously the only questionable guy, but he did start his HOF career with them, and was their best player until he left.

Miami Hurricanes Football

- Ray Lewis

- Ken Dorsey

- Frank Gore

- Warren Sapp

Calgary Flames

Lanny McDonald

Jarome Iginla

Mike Vernon

Al MacInnis

(Although Fleury, Loob and Kipper were tough to leave off)

Calgary Stampeders

Doug Flutie

John Helton

Wayne Harris

Jon Cornish

(lots of tough ones to leave off)

California Seals

Garry Smith

Giants

Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Barry Bonds, Will Clark

Not sure about the Giants one, cause I know there are other good candidates.

That's pretty much what I'd pick too, minus Will Clark. The Thrill was awesome, but there are just too many other worthy candidates.

It's tough because you almost have to make two completely separate lists from their New York days and San Francisco days.

New York Giants:

John McGraw

Bobby Thompson

Christy Mathewson

Willie Mays

San Francisco Giants:

Willie Mays (he gets on both lists because he's Willie f*****g Mays)

Willie McCovey

Barry Bonds

Buster Posey (it's still really early for him, but just look at the accolades he's had with them. Two World Series titles, multiple no-hitters and a perfect game caught, ROY, batting title, MVP, ect. That's something no other Giant can claim. He's already the Giants best ever catcher.)

Tim Lincecum also made me think pretty hard about this one because, like Posey, he's already hit certain career milestones no other Giants pitcher can match.

I'll do another one, just for fun

San Francisco (as a city) Baseball Mt. Rushmore:

Lefty O'Doul

Joe DiMaggio

Lefty Gomez

I dunno... Joe Cronin, I guess?

• 2 weeks later...

Twins:

Harmon Killebrew

Rod Carew

Kirby Puckett

Joe Mauer