2014-2015 College Basketball

JonBoy

Stealing Tennessee's checkerboard pattern I see ;)

They have been using that checkerboard pattern for the last 3 years as it represents the greatest horse to ever race; Secretariat. The pattern was first introduced in 2011 when the football team introduced new uniforms and here is the historical data that Nike used in those uniforms: “Nike designed the uniforms to represent the strength and stamina of Kentucky symbols like legendary head coach Paul “Bear” Bryant, the 1950 national championship team and superhorse Secretariat to give it a “classic” look.” As a tribute to Secretariat’s silks, the checkerboard pattern was introduced into the football uniform and then into the basketball uniform.

Here was the football teams introduction to the pattern:

IMG_8511.JPG

Here was the basketball teams introduction to the pattern:

uk1.jpg

Here is Secretariat's silks:

JP-SECRETARIAT-articleLarge.jpg

Tennessee's been using checkerboards since 1964. Maybe not "stole" but defiantly introduced it nearly 50 years after a fellow conference member.

Does tennessee get exclusive claim to the checkerboard pattern? Sure they kept it on their field/court and definitely are most associated with it but it's a rather generic geometric pattern that was somewhat commonplace in sports that fell out of favor. I would say that nike incorporating a checker pattern into the uk uniforms was a very reasonable connection for nike to make (as compared to some of their other ridiculous tie ins).

I do have some reservation with the secretariat tie in though. During the visits I've made to lexington, man o war seems to be revered more as the local legend thoroughbred but I suppose the MoW brand didn't score high enough in nike focus groups so they opted for secretariat.

You have a valid point about Man o’ War, but considering that no horse has beat Secretariat’s records at all three of the Triple Crown tracks is why they went that route. However, if they wanted to stay true to Kentucky, then MoW would have been the way to go since the horse was born in Lexington, however that pattern just does not go with uniforms unless they are for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

museummemories.jpgpittsburgh-steelers-80th-anniversary-thr

spacer.png

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or football...

Although, those shorts are unique design.

Crap. That's what they want me to say :Oo:

You just know that every Adidas school (or at least the tops ones) will be getting something similar. With how few schools they actually have, you'd think they could come up with some stuff with a little more uniqueness or at least school-specific design cues.

They remind me of what UnderArmour broke out a few years ago, which, call me crazy, I like the idea. I think it would've been better if the stripes were solid.

south-florida-neon-under-armour-basketba

As for Louisville, it's just a bit much with the stripe AND the oversized logos.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

kentucky using checkerboards is dumb. it would be like tennessee using hounds tooth. the schools are too connected for sharing the pattern.

That's the same as saying Auburn and Florida shouldn't both use orange and blue. A pointless argument.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

kentucky using checkerboards is dumb. it would be like tennessee using hounds tooth. the schools are too connected for sharing the pattern.

Did you read "Post 161" as I explained why they went with the checkerboard pattern?

the horse has nothing to do with the university, correct? it makes no sense to use checkerboards when a rival university is well known for using it for decades and has a direct connection to the school, Ayers Hall.

Photos of all 3 unis for State:

10359381.jpeg

10359382.jpeg

They look better than what they had, but that doesn't say anything at all really...

I disagree. I didn't have a huge problem with last years though I didn't love them. I hate the different colored shoulders on these uniforms. I would've been fine sticking with these if they just changed STATE to NC STATE

2ekq73q.jpg

Why does college team change uni design so often when NBA teams don´t ? . At least Duke and Carolina does not change, pick an identity and stick with it.....imo

Because adidas doesn't give teams an identity. They give them a generic template that changes every year, and the teams go along with it. The only teams that don't do that are IU and UCLA, because they refuse to lose their iconic looks. But even those aren't really designed...they're basic basketball templates that haven't changed in decades.

Stealing Tennessee's checkerboard pattern I see ;)

They have been using that checkerboard pattern for the last 3 years as it represents the greatest horse to ever race; Secretariat. The pattern was first introduced in 2011 when the football team introduced new uniforms and here is the historical data that Nike used in those uniforms: Nike designed the uniforms to represent the strength and stamina of Kentucky symbols like legendary head coach Paul Bear Bryant, the 1950 national championship team and superhorse Secretariat to give it a classic look. As a tribute to Secretariats silks, the checkerboard pattern was introduced into the football uniform and then into the basketball uniform.

Here was the football teams introduction to the pattern:

IMG_8511.JPG

Here was the basketball teams introduction to the pattern:

uk1.jpg

Here is Secretariat's silks:

JP-SECRETARIAT-articleLarge.jpg

3 years? Try doubling that to 6. That checker board basketball jersey was introduced before Billy G's 2nd and final year. This is Cal's 6th year coming up. Wall, Cousins, & Bledsoe wore that until Christmas.

Archived