Singular or Non-Plural Team Nicknames

MichiganPackers

Man I loved espn 2 pro beach hockey. It was on during the middle of the day in the summer. Speaking of dumb singular names, Heavy Metal was my favorite team.

Two point shot, banked area behind the net, outdoors, on a beach. It was made for me.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was Rocky Mountain Xtreme, with an X. I believe 1995 almost gave us the New Jersey Devils becoming the Nashville Hockey Tonks. Sometimes I wonder why we're nostalgic for this decade.

I never heard that one and if you made it up...Kudos.
I remember it from an old site called Neutral Zone Hockey, which sometimes just made crap up.

Hockey Tonk is a real thing, guys...

I don't think it's fair to completely write off every singular sports nickname out there. It's really a case-by-case kind of thing. Some names that can be pluralized simply sound better in the singular. It might be because I'm so used to hearing it, but Colorado Avalanche sounds a lot better than Colorado Avalanches, and the 'Avs' moniker saves them a bit. The same goes for teams named 'Storm' instead of 'Storms'. For teams named after musical styles (Jazz, Toronto Rock), they're fine because they can be considered plural (you can sit at home and listen to a bunch of jazz, or a bunch of rock). Some teams, like the Magic, Wild, or Kootenay Ice would probably be better off if they had added a -men suffix to their nicknames (Magicmen, Wildmen, Icemen). Heat is very abstract, and a little strange in the same league as a team named the Suns, but is very fitting with the location. Besides, it's at least better than the Miami Juice.

Wait. Would a player for iSalsa! be a iSalsa!? If not, what would he be? These are the questions that plague me every night.

This is my way of saying singular team names are dumb.

Wait. Would a player for iSalsa! be a iSalsa!? If not, what would he be? These are the questions that plague me every night.

Yes, but your point is undercut by the fact that iSalsa! is so awesome that it transcends the limitations of singular team names :P

Based on their education level, stick curve, astrological sign and white vs. yellow American cheese preference, the individual players were referred to as either a tomato, a pepper or an onion.

I think a good example of plural being better than singular is with the Seattle Sounders.

What exactly is a "Sounder"? No idea, but it sure sounds better than Seattle Sound.

Seattle sits next to Puget Sound, which is a large body of water. So the Sounders are people who live near the sound.

Has nothing to do with sound as in noise or music.

I think a good example of plural being better than singular is with the Seattle Sounders.

What exactly is a "Sounder"? No idea, but it sure sounds better than Seattle Sound.

Seattle sits next to Puget Sound, which is a large body of water. So the Sounders are people who live near the sound.

Put another way, "Sounders" is like "Islanders"

Put another way, "Sounders" is like "Islanders"

You learn something new every day.

Archived