NFL Uniform Codes and Violations poster

Hardly any of these are enforced, or at least publicly.

I see at least 4 "violations" on these 2 Ray Lewis photos alone.:

130129101654-ray-lewis-single-image-cut.

ray-lewis.jpg

Skull caps and bandanas are not the same. Bandanas were band because they don't want them hanging out from under the helmet and plus the bandana has a better chance of sliding around

Go A's!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

90% of these rules are BS. The NFL is going downhill. Rules like this are going to eventually add up and start costing the NFL. Nobody likes to see uniformness to that extent. Individuality will be lost, a key component in why american football is so succesful here.

You've clearly never been to a military base.

And I'm pretty sure rules like this aren't going to cost the NFL anything. It's professional football. Not amateur hour.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

ray-lewis.jpg

Skull caps and bandanas are not the same. Bandanas were band because they don't want them hanging out from under the helmet and plus the bandana has a better chance of sliding around

Skull caps could easily be defined as a "stocking" or "other unapproved headwear".

Speaking of Ray Lewis, remember that facemask he wore in the last season of his career?

It's now banned http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000362461/article/nfl-prohibiting-nonstandard-facemasks

I think that's a good move for the league.

Are you f-ing kidding me? This is an idiotic move, "the added weight of the masks negatively affects the structure of the helmet, can cause neck fatigue" - really? Its a matter of ounces here. Simply over protection for the NFL, who is now absolutely terrified of head injuries. As stupid as the "same helmet all season rule".

In addition to added weight they also limit vision and the league has to draw the line somewhere.

I've never understood why a player would want to have less vision.

I don't agree with the NFL on the one helmet rule, but I agree with them here.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Plus, a matter of ounces can actually be a big deal. Ask any runner about that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I wish baseball and college football (for instance) were equally exacting, personally.

Baseball's uniform standards are so lax, and it drives me nuts.

Rules I would institute:

- Jersey must be fully buttoned.

- Cap must fit securely, and be properly oriented.

- Necklaces must remain securely beneath jersey and/or undershirt.

- If used, sunglasses must be worn over the eyes, or not at all. No placing them on the hat.

- Socks must be shown. No long, loose cuffed pants.

- No altering of the jersey, pants or undershirt.

I know long pants are part of modern baseball, but socks are part of the uniform, they should be shown.

spacer.png

If they're not going to enforce the rules, are they even rules in the first place?

They enforce the rules. You may not hear about all the fines.

I would have loved to see today's "uniform police" go after the 1972 Dolphins. I watched Super Bowl VII recently on NFL Network's 70s week, and I noticed half their players had stripes on their sleeves; the other half did not.

If they're not going to enforce the rules, are they even rules in the first place?

They do enforce the rules. It's just that the penalties are fines that lots of players just choose to pay. If it's not a safety thing, it's not like they eject someone from the game for wearing the wrong socks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Rules I would institute:

- If used, sunglasses must be worn over the eyes, or not at all. No placing them on the hat.

I know long pants are part of modern baseball, but socks are part of the uniform, they should be shown.

What if, say, a cloud passed over and a player doesn't need their sunglasses? It happens. The fact that it covers up the cap logo really isn't a good reason.

spacer.png

Rules I would institute:

What if, say, a cloud passed over and a player doesn't need their sunglasses? It happens. The fact that it covers up the cap logo really isn't a good reason.

Yeah that policy makes no sense. Clouds happen.

Go A's!

Rules I would institute:

I think that's one of the several reasons flip-ups became the unofficial standard.

ray-lewis.jpg

Skull caps could easily be defined as a "stocking" or "other unapproved headwear".

Just thought about it, the two "examples" used are post-game and pre-game. Majority of the time, Ray's socks would be pulled up in-game.

IMG_1830_zps8a84386b.jpg

IMG_1831_zps471854a8.jpg

These two are broken all the time. One picture has them both

Brandon+Spikes+Devin+McCourty+Houston+Te

(also the red cleats on spikes area violation. I have seen them fine people for that).

There's a good number of guys going with no white socks either

Green+Bay+Packers+v+Arizona+Cardinals+R8

Charles Woodson in this pic also has the pants above the knee violation.

Frank Gore is a big violator of that rule too

31B1NinersGorecolor50p-698x1024.jpg

Rules I would institute:

The policy makes perfect sense, considering the players exist for the sole purpose of modeling merchandise.

That's why they make flip up glasses. Look at any 80s baseball card and you'll see them in use. Not sure when Oakleys became the style.

Wearing them on the cap not only obstructs the logo (which I don't care about, but I get why MLB does) but presents a minor hazard since they can fly off during a play.

Rules I would institute:

The policy makes perfect sense, considering the players exist for the sole purpose of modeling merchandise.

That's why they make flip up glasses. Look at any 80s baseball card and you'll see them in use. Not sure when Oakleys became the style.

Wearing them on the cap not only obstructs the logo (which I don't care about, but I get why MLB does) but presents a minor hazard since they can fly off during a play.

I think the league would like to heavily market their product to that vital 18-49 year old demographic and if players looking dorky in flip-up sunglasses cause those people to think those players are not cool, it might hurt apparel sells more.

Those damn flip ups are a joke- they fall down into your field of vision when your running hard and can cause you to lose sight of the ball. When the oakleys fall off, they just land on the ground. If you slide over them, it's like falling on a cd case- it'll crack and maybe maybe cut you, but that's a 1000:1 chance- they usually fall off en route to a ball , not at the ball .

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

ray-lewis.jpg

These are pre-game so it doesn't count until they're playing generally. Shoes have had to get changed before games. I think the NFL uniform police tell them prior to that they are looking at a fine if they don't fix it

Archived