Sports You Never Cared For

TheRicSlick

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We played ultimate last year during our Mission Trip. I guess if they were to referee themselves then I guess it would be a pain to watch or play, but I actually refereed the game. It was fun both ways. But I would definitely not be a viewer of a pro-league version.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

In a world where people want to be taken seriously playing Quidditch (a fictional game meant to be played on flying brooms for crying out loud), I have a hard time telling people that driving a car or throwing a frisbee isn't a sport.

The World Series of Poker has been getting aired on ESPN, for the last 8 years or so...

More like 10 or more years...I actually remember liking to watch it back in 2003 or 2004. Now I can't watch one second of it.

Driving a car isn't a sport.

Do you feel like an athlete because you're driving to work?

You dont drive 500 miles, at 200mph pulling 3+G turns on your way to work, you also have AC which in a race car the cockpit is normally around 100 degrees
I think I'm pretty comfortable with calling driving a sport if I make a stop at sailing and/or cycling first.

Saying that driving to work is the same as driving a race car is like saying that riding a bike to work is the same as being in the Tour de France or playing catch with my son is the same as throwing a 99 mph fastball.

In a world where people want to be taken seriously playing Quidditch (a fictional game meant to be played on flying brooms for crying out loud), I have a hard time telling people that driving a car or throwing a frisbee isn't a sport.

I would classify people playing Quidditch (dumbest sport in the history of fiction) as cosplayers more than anything.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Golf is definitely not an actual sport, and I used to think it's the most boring thing you could possibly put on television, but after sitting down and watching the Women's US Open this year, I've found it's actually pretty compelling. It's basically you vs. yourself, and you know exactly what you need to do to win. That dynamic works well as entertainment.

OKay, i'll bite. What is your reasoning for believing that it isnt an acutal sport?

There's not enough to it to be a sport. Same way that bowling or darts aren't sports, golf isn't. The single action of swinging a club and the variations in how hard you swing/putt simply does not compare to the demands of basketball/football, etc. It doesn't test enough aspects of the body.
Golf:
Swing stick
Walk to ball
Basketball:
Run
Defend
Pass
Dribble
Shoot
Rebound

As cliche as it sounds, I only really enjoy watching soccer during the World Cup because there's still the 10 year old inside me that loves the idea of entire nations competing against each other. I mean, how cool is to just think "Germany is playing Argentina" tomorrow? I don't say the "Germany are" thing because frankly I think it's stupid and makes us sound like British wannabes, as Olbermann said. I want to be able to imagine in my mind that the two countries are playing each other, not the teams. So that's my whole deal with soccer. Now about the actual sport: I certainly agree that the games are, for the most part, very boring. I'm not going to reduce it to "90 minutes of kicking a ball back and forth" but it's hard to see it as much more than that sometimes. What I find most appealing about the game is the power of a goal. Because there is so little scoring, every goal is basically the equivalent of a game-winning 3 or a walk-off homer. The fans go nuts, the players go nuts, it's great.

I'd rather watch almost any sport on television than baseball. It's just never been appealing to me. It's hard for me to watch a sport where 90% of the broadcast is the announcers making small talk about fans in the stadium or what they had for dinner last night. Baseball is a different story in person, though. If I lived in a city with a pro team and was given season tickets, I'd probably go to as many games as I could. It's not my favorite sport, but I like the atmosphere at baseball games.

I enjoy watching hockey both on TV and in person but it's just not broadcast enough for me to get into it. I guess I've never invested the time to truly "follow" hockey.

Basketball is by far my favorite sport, probably because my hometown was always a big basketball town growing up and I've played it my whole life. It's the only sport besides hockey and soccer that is almost non-stop action. Now I know that's debatable, because it has it's fair share of stoppages, but there's nothing I love more in sports that when teams go back and forth a few possessions trading baskets. I also like the fluidity of the game and how the different pieces fit. Sure, there's isolation plays, but more often than not you'll find all 5 guys moving together as one unit to score. The NBA lacks this most of the time, which is probably why so many people are turned off by it. I fully understand the dislike of intentional fouling at the end of games, but I think I've just come to accept it as a basketball fan. It's part of the game, and like it or not, it's the only option for the losing team. What are they supposed to do, just let the clock run out when they know have an opportunity to stay in the game? But I do think there should be a point/time limit involving intentional fouls. If a team's down 12 with 30 seconds left, they have no business fouling. As far as the NBA goes, I couldn't care less during the regular season, but I rarely miss a playoff game, where both teams are actually giving 100%. I vastly prefer the college game to the NBA, though. How can you not love March Madness?

Okay there's my brief thoughts on sports. Proceed.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Driving a car isn't a sport.

Do you feel like an athlete because you're driving to work?

You dont drive 500 miles, at 200mph pulling 3+G turns on your way to work, you also have AC which in a race car the cockpit is normally around 100 degrees
I think I'm pretty comfortable with calling driving a sport if I make a stop at sailing and/or cycling first.

Saying that driving to work is the same as driving a race car is like saying that riding a bike to work is the same as being in the Tour de France or playing catch with my son is the same as throwing a 99 mph fastball.

The car is doing all the work, though. Pushing a couple pedals and moving the stick aren't athletic feats. Driving fast without the air conditioner being on doesn't make you an athlete, nor is that a sport. Driving a car is an activity.

Riding a bike and throwing a ball can be considered athletic because your body is doing all the work to make the object move.

Actually, a bicycle is still a machine, so your body is not doing all of the work. Not even close. Some sports are about using machines most effectively to your advantage. Sure, you need more muscles to win a cycling race, but I'd say keeping a car on the track at 200 mph is more mentally challenging.

In my opinion, every kind of competition is a sport. There are different tiers of sports based on the amounts of physicality put forth. For instance, hockey is one of the highest tiers of sport because of how strenuous it can be. On the other hand, golf or auto racing are more mentally strenuous. They would be on the lower levels due the lack of physical exertion.

They thing is nascar and f1/Indy and other types of races are physically strenuous too. Drivers are exausted after races from being in an incredibly hot car, and then having to wear atleast 3 layers of thick fire proof materials that dont breath at all. And then taking about 600lbs of force in every turn for 500 miles. That is why drivers have to be fit now a days, you see nascar drivers competing in marathons and iron mans and doing quite well. Really the only driver who isn't the fittest person you've ever seen is tony Stewart and he's not even that fat, he's average at worst. The only difference is a driver is working their car for the whole 4 hours, versus a hockey player that gives their all for acouple minutes at most and takes a break. It's endurance versus speed.

I'm not saying that car-racing is an easy thing to do.

All I'm saying is that car racing is not an athletic feat. Driving a car is not an athletic feat. Longevity, speed, and exposure to the elements doesn't make driving a car an athletic feat.

At least with a bike, man is the engine.

Archived