Sports You Never Cared For

TheRicSlick

In my opinion, every kind of competition is a sport. There are different tiers of sports based on the amounts of physicality put forth. For instance, hockey is one of the highest tiers of sport because of how strenuous it can be. On the other hand, golf or auto racing are more mentally strenuous. They would be on the lower levels due the lack of physical exertion.

So Cup Stacking is a sport?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't consider anything that uses judging as a final determination of a winner to be a sport. Gymnastics, figure skating, etc. require great athletic skill, but I do not consider them to be sports.

100% honest here at the same time as making a joke: I don't consider what the NFL has become as being too far away from a sport like diving or figure skating... some athletes do athletic things, then "judges" stand around and discuss what a "football move" is or philosophical things like if the catch was really completed or not.

In my opinion, every kind of competition is a sport. There are different tiers of sports based on the amounts of physicality put forth. For instance, hockey is one of the highest tiers of sport because of how strenuous it can be. On the other hand, golf or auto racing are more mentally strenuous. They would be on the lower levels due the lack of physical exertion.

So Cup Stacking is a sport?

In a sense.

In modern parlance, "sport" has generally come to mean some sort of athletic competition. That doesn't mean that things like competitive chess or billiards aren't "sports," but most of what we call sports involves some level of athletic skill, not just a mental skill.

However, in olden times, sporting could be considered hunting with hounds or even jousting, duels, fencing, etc. In hunting, there's not really even a winner or loser (unless you count the dead fox) but it's still a "sporting" kind of thing. In my personal view, I feel like the most established and "true" modern sports are ones that generally have several levels of competition:

Pee Wee Tee Ball -> Little League Baseball -> High School -> College -> Minor Leagues -> MLB

It's harder to justify something as a widely accepted "sport" when there's only maybe one or two tiers (amateur and professional) within that activity.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

• 2 weeks later...

two of the biggest sports in the USA... Baseball and basketball. One is to slow (though I've never been to a game) and the other I just can't seem to get the back and forth high scores.

And I think Nascar has been covered.

I really enjoy watching tennis, football and sometimes even golf. But of course hockey is by far my favorite.

sig_zpsbkzghgfz.png

Twitter: @lestoplegault - Email: Christiantlegault@gmail.com Blog: http://legaultdesigns.blogspot.ca/

I only cared about soccer football goddamnit when the EPL is on. I never gave a crap about NASCAR and all sports solely based on judges is not even a sport.

I do pay attention to american football, not as much

EDIT: No actual angry intent about soccer/football.

• 4 weeks later...

I hate soccer football, it's football for god's sake, never gave a crap about NASCAR and all sports solely based on judges is not even a sport.

I do pay attention to american football, not as much

(invalid post)

But you like the Whitecaps????????

I removed that because I never cared, and they suck. I don't put them on now after I put Oregon back on because I started to learn more about CFB but don't discuss it, maybe because I'm not a big genius or something.

Also, City is my primary team.

For me, I am willing to watch most sports if they are on and I'm really bored. However like most posts above, I can't watch either tennis or golf. I do enjoy golf as a sport (I consider it a sport), but watching it is boring. I might be able to watch tennis if most matches didn't last around 4 hours of slower gameplay and only a few good rallies per match.

I hated soccer and MMA a few years ago, but I gained a bit of respect for them and if it's on tv or someone asks if I want to watch it, I will do so. I like how most soccer games last only about 2 hours long at most with not many stops in play. As for MMA, I don't know why I don't mind it.

I liked NASCAR as a kid for some reason, so I don't have a problem with watching it if not much else is on. Plus many of the same drivers still race from when I watched it when I was like 5 or 6 years old. Maybe things will change for me in a few years, I don't know for sure.

Basketball and curling are the two that I just can't watch. Curling is boring! My opinion on basketball is very similar to McCarthy's opinion (from page 1 of this thread). I like the history of the game and teams. I like the idea of the game, but I can't watch a game at all and I find it boring. However, I do want to go to a Raptors game sometime, so I don't hate it that much. I don't know why. Maybe I'll find it better live. Who knows.

In that case, would you consider cheerleading a sport? Some people consider a sport (I don't) and it can be competitive.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

Archived