Personal brand...this time for real [UPDATE]

OliverP

Ok guys...last time I posted a personal brand project II was massively restricted by my strict old-school design professor that went to retirement this year, so now that I'm completely free from high school chains and entering rough seas of university, I thought that it would be fun to finally brand myself with something I can associate with.

I'm originally from Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina and the color blue derived from town's coat of arms. Center hexagon is filled with the coat of arms blue and the darker navy-ish blue is just a darkened version of the original blue.

Also I want to see how visible are my initials in this logo O and P.

Note: Its not the final version and if you give me some good critics I can improve upon it. ;)

OP_zps7a808d91.jpg

If this is the kind of thing where we're supposed to post our own brands, here's mine:

Untitled_zpsec89423f.png

The yellow and red is the flag of the state in India my parents come from (Karnataka).

AA are my initials and incidentally the initials for Ann Arbor.

AC is for Allen County which is where I've lived since I was 2 years old.

And the 1992 in Roman numerals is for the year I was born.

The brown part is because my skin is brown and the brown and gray is the color combination of Hershey's.

If this isn't the kind of thread where we're supposed to post our own brands, then I am under a misapprehension.

Untitled_zps5e4a382a.png

If this is the kind of thing where we're supposed to post our own brands, here's mine:

Untitled_zpsec89423f.png

The yellow and red is the flag of the state in India my parents come from (Karnataka).

AA are my initials and incidentally the initials for Ann Arbor.

AC is for Allen County which is where I've lived since I was 2 years old.

And the 1992 in Roman numerals is for the year I was born.

The brown part is because my skin is brown and the brown and gray is the color combination of Hershey's.

If this isn't the kind of thread where we're supposed to post our own brands, then I am under a misapprehension.

Start your own thread for your own branding/feedback.

----------

In regards to Oliver, gamecube basically took that logo and ran with it as have several others.

logocube.jpg

d3ee7e645e06a578d8e1ee3f555c58b7.png

ab.jpg

cube_logo_by_jd_designer-d5il801.jpg

As you can see, it's a common design element. Putting a letter into it's shape is not a new concept.

It's a good start, but I suggest you try making 5-10 completely different concepts, even if some of them are half-finished, we're simply talking about ideas. Put them on paper, get the rudimentary idea in a png file and show them to the board. It's no good to put hours into a logo that might be an accidental ripoff.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

As an admirer of the Gamecube logo, I'm shocked to see how many similar logos there are to it. Redcube practically ripped it off wholesale.

As for OliverP's concept, I certainly can't fault the execution nor the final product. Nice and clean with attractive colours and the ray's emanating from it are a nice touch.

Well it looks like its back to the drawing board form me. :/

CS85 I'll do that...by that I mean I'll make many concepts and post them to see which ones are the best. Maybe something vintage looking stuff because I really that look and I use to wear a pompadour. :P:)

I'll probably keep the colors 'cause I really like them and I can associate with them.

As an admirer of the Gamecube logo, I'm shocked to see how many similar logos there are to it. Redcube practically ripped it off wholesale.

As for OliverP's concept, I certainly can't fault the execution nor the final product. Nice and clean with attractive colours and the ray's emanating from it are a nice touch.

There's versions of that logo that have been out long before GameCube was even a thought. I don't think they're all ripoffs or anything - it's a rather obvious idea for a novice designer trying to make a 3d cube type concept. In fact there's a local business here with a version of it that's the letter D three times in the cube. I think they're called 3Ds something or other.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

what if you were to have a very slight checkerboard design flowing with the cube look as a nod to Croatia? I think it may help differentiate itself from the other cubed logos.

After a lot of concepting and one broken control button on my keyboard, I came up with this...

OP_V2_zps5f57bd16.jpg

I'm trying to find the right accent color and right now I'm content with maroon...if you guys think a different color would look better in combination with the ones I already chose, I'm open for suggestions. :)

I like it, love the checkerboard look as well, still maintains the 3d aspect, I like it. If you were to add the maroon, I would make it replace the light blue, but I think it looks good the way it is.

Looks good. Personally I would use a red that's brighter than maroon. Rose or this Persian Red may look nice.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

That's actually a cool logo in that it's simple enough you could put it with a variety of colors at any time. I wouldn't limit yourself to blue/red, but make those the "default" for your primary stuff.

twitter

I think you're worrying too much about color at this point. Design it in black & white first. Get the design figured out first and THEN start thinking about color and adding trendy design effects like the shadow thing you got going on.

Personally, I'm with Mockba on this. As a design its an eye catching shape, but I'm missing what it is supposed to be. All I see is a skewed 8 with diamonds that looks like a bat symbol effect. How is it a personal brand? What are you trying to communicate about yourself through the design?

It's perfect like that for the base design, now like CS85 said, you can implement the logo on any colour combo when presenting a concept.

Edit: Missing what people are missing about the logo, all I see is an "O" and a "P" in a checkerboard style as a nod to Croatia while still keeping that 3d shape you were originally going for. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Yeah so the story behind this is pretty simple. So its my initials O and P made in a geometric fashion to, as 1clkgtramg said, represent a checkerboard. The two diamond shapes are there to represent two cities that are very important in my life (Zagreb and Mostar). I'll try to get the logo to show that easier. I'll cook up some variations and post them a soon as I get my hands on a mouse and a keyboard. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think its looking good, and agree with the comments made about the colour scheme, they all look alright to me but you can worry about it after. Definitely keep trying to make the relationship between the logo and your initials stronger I think it would look a lot better, at the moment its nice but then it could have more personality.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived