UPDATE – AU Eagles Logo Concept

Go Red Sox!

Hi guys! Here is my latest logo concept of the American University Eagles. My redesign includes "Clawed", the university's mascot now being a revamped part of the primary logo. The university's initials are now the secondary logo in a modernized and contemporary style. I also redesigned the AU Blue Crew logo, using only (navy)blue and white.

Comments welcome – as usual.

Update:

– The eagle now has a longer, more pointed beak than before plus a shorter neck

– No silver accents anymore (except beak)

– The "U" in the AU initials logo is now mirrored, aligned and in the foreground, plus colors were swapped

– The eagle in the Blue Crew logo now has a red eye

– The notches in the "E"s of the Eagles script are now shortened

c6bcevlqb0ggdhe3izuko9vbz_zps81c20ce2.pn6814_zpsaf0e9072.png

Current and old primary logo

AUEagleslogoconcept_zps32e882da.jpg

Primarylogo_zpsf34bf06f.jpg

Primary logo

Secondarylogo_zpsb772f448.jpg

Secondary/initials logo

Wordmarklogo_zps92231aee.jpg

Wordmark logo

AUBlueCrewlogo_zps0a9bf037.jpg

"AU Blue Crew" logo

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Wow. Great job on this, and far superior to their current identity!

There's something about the eagle head that's a little too detailed. I think the logo goes from bolder, thicker lines to thinner, more detailed lines as you added detail in the face, if that makes sense.

To make this PERFECT, I'd find a way to actually eliminate detail in the face and balance the lines and strokes in the eagle with the rest of the logo. I hate to use another logo for comparison, but observe how Tennessee Tech's looks.

Great job overall. I especially love how applicable and separable the font is. You definitely should keep submitting concepts to these boards.

I love love love this, except for two things. The "Blue Crew" logo isn't great, and I'm not a fan of the little notches in the middle of the "E"'s in "Eagles". Other than that it's great, and vast improvement.

I love your approach with the eagle, it's refreshing not to see another Philly ripoff for once. The shading is a bit wonky though, I think if you took out the light grey it would look perfect, almost like the one used for the blue crew logo. Overall, this is a fantastic upgrade, great work!

Everytime I see "eagles" as the concept title, I wonder if it will be something new and unique, or just another eagle logo like the numerous other eagle logos, because it's all been done. The angle you chose is a nice new approach that you rarely see on bird head logos. I do feel the neck is a bit long, and the beak/forehead area look kind of like a sea gull. Is anyone else seeing sea gull? I also think the letters would be better without the light highlight, but all that aside, this would be a massive upgrade for AU.

Thank you for all your constructive comments, guys! I appreciate it! I'm quite busy right now, so I will try to put at least some of your suggestions into practice tomorrow.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

I would thin out the shadow under his beak and down his neck. Seems like a little too much going on in his design. This also might sound cheesy, it is American University after all, but maybe you could put a star somewhere in the shine of his eye or something like that.

Colorado Born and Raised!!

2gm6.png
LasVegasBowl_zpsdb9fb995.png

Although it is unique, I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of the angle you used for the eagle head. Maybe it's just the direction his eyes are facing, but it makes me think of this. I think if you moved the pupils to a more forward-facing direction it would look better. I echo other statements about simplifying some of the details. You could probably do without the thin red accent on the beak and make the gray accent a continuation of the gray outline, if that makes sense. I think you could also try using larger, more "sweeping" curves on the back of the head so it looks more like this and less like this.

Is there any significance behind the way you skewed the letters on the alternate logo? It just seems a little awkward to me.

Overall, good start.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

COMPARISON – Primary logo

Primarylogo_zps3a00fa08.jpg

Old version

Primarylogo_zpsf34bf06f.jpg

New version

– Longer, more pointed beak, no silver accents anymore except beak, shorter neck part

– Shortened notches in the E's of the Eagles script (don't know why I missed that!)

COMPARISON – Secondary/initials logo

Secondarylogo_zpsd5deaaca.jpg

Old version

Secondarylogo_zpsb772f448.jpg

New version

I would thin out the shadow under his beak and down his neck. Seems like a little too much going on in his design. This also might sound cheesy, it is American University after all, but maybe you could put a star somewhere in the shine of his eye or something like that.

I also thought about using a star here and there, too.

It's damn near perfect. I would just say reduce the amount of ruffles on the back of his neck and tone down the blue under his beak. it looks like a massive outline instead of shadowing which makes the white and red look like his head, which leads to him looking like a very skinny headed bird.

Colorado Born and Raised!!

2gm6.png
LasVegasBowl_zpsdb9fb995.png

It's damn near perfect. I would just say reduce the amount of ruffles on the back of his neck and tone down the blue under his beak. it looks like a massive outline instead of shadowing which makes the white and red look like his head, which leads to him looking like a very skinny headed bird.

I disagree. Many great logos use the outline color as a shadow color as well. Fraser Davidson's work is a good example of that. This latest update looks better, but I still think you should focus on getting rid of some of the extra "ruffles" on the back of his head and losing some detail in the eye to make it look more fierce.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I think your main problem is that the blue shadow of your bird doesn't flow in a natural direction. It also conflicts with the motion of the red side of the bird. Look at CAB's example's of Davidson's work, Notice how in all of them the highlights flow with the shadows, body features and everything else. Make sure that every curve in the logo makes sense. You have a good foundation set, it just needs some smoothing out.

Archived