real jerseys and fake jerseys shown together in commercial

In a commercial for SportsNet New York, real jerseys for the Mets and Jets mingle with fake jerseys that are meant to suggest other New York teams.

The commercial is set in an apartment shared by sports fans. A guy wearing a fake Islanders jersey comes in asking if anyone has whites for the laundry he is about to do.

fakejerseys1_zpsb7b9137d.jpg

We see real gear from the Mets and Jets, as well as imitation gear that is supposed to evoke the Knicks, the Nets, the Rangers, and the Devils. That fake Devils sweater is actually very nice, even though it is being worn by a guy who is clearly more interested in baseball.

In the next scene, the guy has begun doing the laundry. He has the letter I painted on his chest in blue and orange. Why they didn't put this insignia on the front of his blank fake Islanders sweater is a bit of a mystery.

fakejerseys2_zps6f591b2b.jpg

We see a different fake Islanders sweater in a frame on the wall behind the guy as he does laundry. Interestingly, the framed jersey shows the four stripes that the Islanders wear on their shoulders to commemorate their four consecutive Stanley Cup wins.

Finally we see the roommates sitting together after the laundry is finished. We again see real gear for the Mets and Jets, and fake gear suggesting the Knicks, Rangers, Devils. (The guy wearing the fake Nets sweatshirt is gone, replaced by a guy who is wearing what appears to be a vaguely Yankee-ish jersey.)

The interesting thing is that all of the reappearing guys are wearing gear in the opposite colour to what they were wearing in the first scene: the Mets, Knicks, and Rangers guys wear first blue, then white; the Jets guy first green, then white; the Devils guy first red, then white.

fakejerseys3_zpsa061f5c8.jpg

Again the fake Devils sweater looks really good, as does the fake Rangers one (which is what the Rangers should really be wearing on the road, as long as the NHL uses the foolish policy of colour at home).

The baseball-loving nature of the Devils guy is reinforced by the commercial's punch line, in which that guy asks "Has anyone seen a red sock?" to the silence and the uncomfortable glances from the rest of the roommates.

It's kind of impressive how much work was put into the fake jerseys in this ad.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

You're reading way too much into it. It's most likely because SNY is the tv home of the mets and jets, thus having the rights to their logos/wordmarks. As you can see, they have SNY posters on the walls featuring only the mets and jets.

Other than mets games, there's no real reason to watch that channel anyway.

I am not reading anything into it -- as BDD said, that channel is the TV home of the the Mets and Jets; so that's why only those teams' actual gear is used. I see now that I should have mentioned that.

And I am not saying that it's stupid, either. I'm actually praising the effort to create the overall aesthetic in the commercial with plausible designs that fit in well next to actual team gear. On top of that, several of the fake jerseys looked good -- the fake Rangers road sweater is better than what the team actually wears; and both fake Devils jerseys are very attractive.

I would criticise two things that spoiled the look of the commercial. One is to allow the fake Knicks home jersey, which had just a number and no wordmark, to be seen from the front. And the other is something which I already mentioned: the fake Islanders sweater being blank in the front.

This latter one is harder to figure, because the guy wearing that jersey takes the jersey off only to reveal that he has his chest painted with a big letter I. It would have been a good sight gag for a guy wearing a jersey with a particular design on it to remove the jersey and reveal the same design on his chest. So the jersey should have had the letter I on it. (Or, rather, both the jersey and the guy's chest should have had some kind of NY insigina similar to the NJ on the fake Devils jerseys.)

As I said previously, I'm rather impressed with the work that went into the creation of the fake gear in the commercial.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived