Color wordmark on home and white wordmark on away jerseys?

I've noticed that with the exception of the Lakers, Knicks, Bulls, Pistons, Cavaliers, Grizzlies, Warriors and the Mavericks (from 2010-11 to present), every current* team's home jersey wordmark has color wording and every team's away jersey wordmark has white wording. While white lettering on color jerseys make sense, I am curious as to whether this is a mandate or a coincidence.

I wonder if the Warriors will also change their logo and/or uniforms (perhaps next year or after they finalize their move to San Francisco) since they've already released their alternate "W" logo in white.

*I have included the Sacramento Kings, as well, as they will be changing their uniforms this upcoming season

Crap: Just erased my entire comment with an accidental click of the "back" button on the mouse. I hate when that happens. Oh well.

Basically, I agree with you. It is random, but I found a pattern and seeked out an answer. There probably isn't a mandate on white lettering on away jerseys or v-necks; the only mandate was sleeved jerseys! (Thanks, but no thanks, Adidas!)

Anyway, the LA Lakers, Knicks, Bulls have all had white lettering on their primary away jersey before, just not recently. Plus they're iconic teams that have won multiple titles, and generally, only teams that haven't had much success tend to tinker with their logos and uniforms. (Yes, there are exceptions.) Interestingly enough, Chicago's 2013-14 Noche Latina and St. Patrick Day jerseys feature their team wordmark in white lettering.

The Pistons have had white lettering before; the Grant Hill era brought not only white lettering but also teal. But Detroit went back to their red, white and blue roots, and I couldn't be happier. Right now, only their "Motor City" alternate features white lettering.

The Mavs have always had white lettering on their primary away jersey until their 2010-11 championship season. Their 3rd jersey still have the words "Mavs" in white.

The Cavs had white lettering in the '80s and from 1997 until LeBron's last year in Cleveland. The switch to gold and wine would've happened anyway regardless of "The Decision," but if LeBron does go back to Cleveland they'd have to buy new jerseys anyway since he wears number 23 now. (They don't have to buy anything, but I rarely see anyone wearing #8 Kobe jerseys nowadays.)

Grizzlies have had white team name on their away jersey before, both in Vancouver and Memphis, but have now switched to their unique font.

Golden State never had white lettering, and unless they change their uniforms after their move to San Fran, they probably still won't.

Something else I've noticed: the Celtics, Nets, Hornets, Cavs, Pistons, Bucks, Timberwolves, Pelicans, Suns, Blazers, Kings and Jazz have their team name on their primary logo in white. Out of those, only Detroit's away jersey doesn't have white lettering.

Here's a joke for you: What do hookers use to catch fish? (Hornets!)

Archived