Your Least Favorite Season(s) of All Time

Unocal

Well, for every great and memorable season, there are those that are the opposite.

What are some of your least favorite seasons in any of the major sports?

I'm gonna throw a few out there:

1996-97 NHL. Offense was down, there weren't as many compelling stories as the year ago, it felt like basically hockey was all about the goalies and not about the shooters.

2003-04 NHL. The nadir of the dead puck era. Only 3 40-goal scorers, nobody broke 100 points. (1999-00 didn't have a 100-point man, but Bure had 58 and offense didn't seem truly dead)

2001-02 NHL. After an entertaining 2000-01 which was a holiday by dead puck era standards, we were back to the doldrums. Other than Iginla, it was all about Detroit. It was a rare hockey season where everything went to form except for Carolina's FInals run and Chicago actually making the playoffs during the hockey team's downward era.

2003 NFL. Nothing really stood out. No teams, no individual performances (since then, no QB has thrown for less than 30 TD in a season). Even the 14-2 Patriots (compared to the following season's more dominant version) seemed to be squeaking out a ton of close games. Outside of maybe the Chiefs, there wasn't a lot to get intrigued over.

1993 NFL. Offense was down, field goals were up. With the exception of maybe Houston, it was essentially a ho-hum season in which nobody stood out except for maybe Miami's epic meltdown. The 18-week, 2-bye experiment. The game just felt a litte stale that year.

I was going to mention the 2011-12 NHL season as a particularly dismal year between concussions, slowing down the game to prevent concussions, and the giant offseason body count, but then I remembered the Kings won the Cup that year and I don't want to get you started.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

For me, it has to be the season that one of the players on my favorite team's Mount Rushmore beat the worst team in my lifetime on his way to winning a championship on the worst day of my life as a sports fan while he was playing on a team I hated and then he ended up hanging out with a celebrity fan of my favorite team as they watched a sport I never cared for.

BB52Big.jpg

2011 NFL season...There was an abbreviated training camp and preseason. The result was no defense and bloated passing stats for probably 2/3 of the QBs. Cam Newton passed for over 4000 yards as a rookie...come on.

Archived