Good old Jose Mourinho complaining about refereeing again post match yesterday in his interview. Well should I say not really saying anything at all. He didn't want to say anything worried about being charged by The FA. The journalist from BBC 5 Live said more than Jose. Why can't managers just say in post-match comments that they were beat by a better side than moan and groan about the officials, ball boys, 19th century tactics, teams wasting time, parking the bus, etc...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30652357

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know where to put this, but Gideon Zelalem is now a U.S. Citizen: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/wp/2014/12/29/arsenals-gedion-zelalem-is-a-u-s-citizen/

Unlike Freddy Adu or (sadly) Julian Green, Zelalem does have the chance to be a top 20 player in the world someday because of his passing ability, which is the most underrated skill in the game. If he truly does plan to suit up for the red, white, and blue, it's a huge coup for Klinnsman.

Plus, he's a Gunner to boot, so it just makes it that much sweeter for me.

The FIFA rules state this:

A player who acquired a new citizenship and never played for a national team can play for his new country if:

a) He was born in this country

b ) His mother or/and father was/were born in this country

c) His grandmother or/and grandfather was/were born in this country

d) He lived there for five years after his 18th birthday

I don't see how he would ever be able to play for the US?!

Per Wikipedia, after amendments in 2009 and 2010, the criteria in the home nations agreement read as such:

• 1. A Player who, under the terms of art. 5, is eligible to represent more than one Association on account of his nationality, may play in an international match for one of these Associations only if, in addition to having the relevant nationality, he fulfils at least one of the following conditions:
    • a) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
    • b ) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
    • c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
    • d) He has engaged in a minimum of five years education under the age of 18 within the territory of the relevant association.

— Home nations agreement

Zelalem would qualify to play for the U.S. under clause D, given that he immigrated to the U.S. in 2006 and left for the Arsenal academy in 2013.

The Home Nations Agreement surely only applies to a player looking to play for one of the Home Nations, though. We need extra guidelines for our national teams as you can't hold English, Scottish or Welsh nationality - we're all classed as British citizens.

In Zelalem's case, it would seem that his father is a naturalised citizen of the US - this apparently entitles Zelalem to full US citizenship himself, which he's been granted. FIFA rules state that he also needs to demonstrate a 'clear connection' to the country of his choice as he wasn't born there - his past residency in the US fulfils that criteria.

As such he can be called up to the US national side as long as he doesn't represent another country in a competitive match beforehand. I guess he'll technically hold a dual nationality with Germany so he can play in Europe without work permit restrictions.

Don't know where to put this, but Gideon Zelalem is now a U.S. Citizen: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/wp/2014/12/29/arsenals-gedion-zelalem-is-a-u-s-citizen/

Unlike Freddy Adu or (sadly) Julian Green, Zelalem does have the chance to be a top 20 player in the world someday because of his passing ability, which is the most underrated skill in the game. If he truly does plan to suit up for the red, white, and blue, it's a huge coup for Klinnsman.

Plus, he's a Gunner to boot, so it just makes it that much sweeter for me.

The FIFA rules state this:

A player who acquired a new citizenship and never played for a national team can play for his new country if:

a) He was born in this country

b ) His mother or/and father was/were born in this country

c) His grandmother or/and grandfather was/were born in this country

d) He lived there for five years after his 18th birthday

I don't see how he would ever be able to play for the US?!

Per Wikipedia, after amendments in 2009 and 2010, the criteria in the home nations agreement read as such:

• 1. A Player who, under the terms of art. 5, is eligible to represent more than one Association on account of his nationality, may play in an international match for one of these Associations only if, in addition to having the relevant nationality, he fulfils at least one of the following conditions:
    • a) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
    • b ) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
    • c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
    • d) He has engaged in a minimum of five years education under the age of 18 within the territory of the relevant association.

— Home nations agreement

Zelalem would qualify to play for the U.S. under clause D, given that he immigrated to the U.S. in 2006 and left for the Arsenal academy in 2013.

The Home Nations Agreement surely only applies to a player looking to play for one of the Home Nations, though. We need extra guidelines for our national teams as you can't hold English, Scottish or Welsh nationality - we're all classed as British citizens.

In Zelalem's case, it would seem that his father is a naturalised citizen of the US - this apparently entitles Zelalem to full US citizenship himself, which he's been granted. FIFA rules state that he also needs to demonstrate a 'clear connection' to the country of his choice as he wasn't born there - his past residency in the US fulfils that criteria.

As such he can be called up to the US national side as long as he doesn't represent another country in a competitive match beforehand. I guess he'll technically hold a dual nationality with Germany so he can play in Europe without work permit restrictions.

You're right ... I completely overlooked that and mistook the home nations agreement for the FIFA eligibility rules.

Again per Wikipedia (bold for emphasis is mine):

In January 2004, a new ruling came into effect that permitted a player to represent one country at youth international level and another at senior international level, provided that the player applied before their 21st birthday.[11] The first player to do so was Antar Yahia, who played for the France under-18s before representing Algeriain qualifiers for the 2004 Olympic Games.[12] More recent examples include Sone Aluko, who has caps for the England under-19s and Nigeria,[13] and Andrew Driver, a former England under-21 representative who is committed to the Scotland national team.[14]

In March 2004, FIFA amended its wider policy on international eligibility. This was reported to be in response to a growing trend in some countries, such as Qatar andTogo, to naturalise players born in Brazil (and elsewhere) that have no apparent ancestral links to their new country of citizenship.[citation needed]

An emergency FIFA committee ruling judged that players must be able to demonstrate a "clear connection" to a country that they had not been born in but wished to represent. This ruling explicitly stated that, in such scenarios, the player must have at least one parent or grandparent who was born in that country, or the player must have been resident in that country for at least two years.[15]

... The residency requirement for players lacking birth or ancestral connections with a specific country was extended from two to five years in May 2008 at FIFA's Congress as part of Blatter's efforts to preserve the integrity of competitions involving national teams.

Again per Wikipedia...

Hull City's Sone Aluko gets a mention in your quoted passage - he was born in England but plays for Nigeria, while his sister Eniola was born in Nigeria but plays for England. :P

So for anyone who wants to know the nuances of the transfer system from scouting to unveiling, ESPN FC has does an excellent info graphic with a fictional story explaining all the parts of a transfer. Worth a read for newbie football watchers.

http://www.espnfc.us/feature/story/_/id/12038766/how-a-transfer-works

Is there a way to unlike that comment :P Nothing against you sportstar1212. Wenger has completely lost the plot. He never gave Podolski a clear chance at Arsenal, especially his caliber and talent. And you wonder why supporters are getting fed up with Wenger and his decisions. Best of luck to Lukas in Milan...just sucks for us Gooners as Wenger will not be diving into the transfer market like he should be.

Though we are linked the Mainz German keeper Loris Karius, who is said to be the second best German keeper behind Neuer. Wait and see...

Is there a way to unlike that comment :P Nothing against you sportstar1212. Wenger has completely lost the plot. He never gave Podolski a clear chance at Arsenal, especially his caliber and talent. And you wonder why supporters are getting fed up with Wenger and his decisions. Best of luck to Lukas in Milan...just sucks for us Gooners as Wenger will not be diving into the transfer market like he should be.

Heh - I think I can see who you'll be trying to sign in the LPI supplemental draft. :P

... Loris Karius, who is said to be the second best German keeper behind Neuer.

What? :P

I know...but that's what been reported out of England through the Telegraph and Daily Mirror. From the two Mainz matches I have seen Karius play this season, he has talent no doubt but I don't know if I would consider him a close second to Neuer.

Heh - I think I can see who you'll be trying to sign in the LPI supplemental draft. :P

Hey, he's up for grabs in the supplemental draft. If I can get him it would be great but no guarantees. He is expected to start on Tuesday when Inter go to Juventus.

Swansea beat Tranmere in the FA Cup, but I love the name of one of the Tranmere goalscorers: Max Power. If anyone gets to watch the highlights, he got lucky on that goal.

I was at the game sitting in the Kop stand behind the goal he scored into. (Tranmere are my local team. I actually live across the River Mersey from Liverpool)

Sure there was a hint of luck about it but if you don't enter the raffle, you will never win the prize. I can't see him staying at Tranmere beyond the end of this season, with a number of Scottish teams rumoured to be interested in him. Having a funny name and scoring in an FA cup tie against a Premier League club will only increase the chance of this.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Swansea beat Tranmere in the FA Cup, but I love the name of one of the Tranmere goalscorers: Max Power. If anyone gets to watch the highlights, he got lucky on that goal.

I was at the game sitting in the Kop stand behind the goal he scored into. (Tranmere are my local team. I actually live across the River Mersey from Liverpool)

Sure there was a hint of luck about it but if you don't enter the raffle, you will never win the prize. I can't see him staying at Tranmere beyond the end of this season, with a number of Scottish teams rumoured to be interested in him. Having a funny name and scoring in an FA cup tie against a Premier League club will only increase the chance of this.

I keep holding out hope that someone's gonna say he's a distant relative of IndyCar champion Will Power. ^_^

Meanwhile, Accrington Stanley are selling tickets for an FA Cup Third Round tie against Manchester United. Which is a tad odd, seeing as how Stanley were knocked out in the Second Round by Yeovil Town.

No, me neither. :huh:

something something who are they something something

6fQjS3M.png

Meanwhile, Accrington Stanley are selling tickets for an FA Cup Third Round tie against Manchester United. Which is a tad odd, seeing as how Stanley were knocked out in the Second Round by Yeovil Town.

No, me neither. :huh:

What, they didn't donate the tickets to people in Third World countries wearing Kansas City Royals World Series championship shirts? How heartless of them. :upside:

CCSLC signature.png

Archived