With West Ham, I still think them moving into the Olympic Stadium being a bad thing waiting to happen. I am sorry but there is no way they will sell out 54,000 for their matches in that stadium. Is there really 54,000+ WHU supporters in and around London? Not likely.

They have Russel Brand, so there's that

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are fears amongst some of the smaller London clubs - Leyton Orient in particular - that West Ham will start to leach their support. Expect spare seats at the Running, Jumping and Throwing Stadium to be given to local schools and offered up on 'kids for a quid' style deals as the Hammers try to tempt fans in.

QPR is planning to build a brand new stadium in Old Oak to replace Loftus Road, their home of almost a century. The stadium is expected to hold 40,000 people, doubling the capacity of their old stadium.

With Tottenham and West Ham looking to move up into new mega-stadiums as well, London looks like it will have no shortage of possible european/world venues in the future.

With West Ham, I still think them moving into the Olympic Stadium being a bad thing waiting to happen. I am sorry but there is no way they will sell out 54,000 for their matches in that stadium. Is there really 54,000+ WHU supporters in and around London? Not likely.

They will only sell out when it comes to playing the bigger clubs in the league and London derbies. Apart from that it will probably have a better atmosphere only half filled than a sold out Emirates. :P

There are fears amongst some of the smaller London clubs - Leyton Orient in particular - that West Ham will start to leach their support. Expect spare seats at the Running, Jumping and Throwing Stadium to be given to local schools and offered up on 'kids for a quid' style deals as the Hammers try to tempt fans in.

They have already stated they will be giving tickets away to schools to tempt a younger fan in.

glory10.png

QPR is planning to build a brand new stadium in Old Oak to replace Loftus Road, their home of almost a century. The stadium is expected to hold 40,000 people, doubling the capacity of their old stadium.

With Tottenham and West Ham looking to move up into new mega-stadiums as well, London looks like it will have no shortage of possible european/world venues in the future.

They will only sell out when it comes to playing the bigger clubs in the league and London derbies. Apart from that it will probably have a better atmosphere only half filled than a sold out Emirates. :P

They have already stated they will be giving tickets away to schools to tempt a younger fan in.

Agreed, it does get quiet in the Emirates from time to time. But I know it was rocking loud as hell as Arsenal supporters were singing and chanting at both White Hart Lane in 2004 and at Anfield in 1989 when we won the Premier League and First Division titles respectively. Gotta love when a Gooner can disrupt a party. :P

Today was the first day of European Qualifiers. I don't know if anyone was following today's matches but the big surprises is Albania winning 1-0 at a disgraceful Portugal. CR7 was out injured plus the Portuguese faithful were waving white handkerchiefs in surrender to Albania. Paulo Bento's position could really be on the line now. Other notable results is Northern Ireland winning away at Hungary and the Scots having a really good showing in Dortmund only loosing 2-1 to Muller's two goals.

wtj2gy.png

Any other matches stuck out today?

A true Everton match for Ireland against Georgia, 3 players plus Gibson on the bench. Aiden McGeady netted two with McCarthy and Coleman notching assists. All was good apart from a 30 yard screamer for Georgia to equalize; it was a cracking game.

But I know it was rocking loud as hell as Arsenal supporters were singing and chanting at both White Hart Lane in 2004 and at Anfield in 1989 when we won the Premier League and First Division titles respectively.

:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

glory10.png

Sepp Blatter has confirmed he will stand for election for another term as Fifa president.

In a video interview played at the Soccerex conference in Manchester, the 78-year-old announced his intention to go for a fifth term in charge of world football's governing body.

Uefa president Michel Platini will not take on Sepp Blatter for the leadership of football's governing body Fifa.

Platini previously called a "breath of fresh air" at the top of Fifa.

He said on Thursday that he will now push for Europe to be allocated more World Cup places - from 13 to 15 - for Russia 2018.

glory10.png

^Grreeeaat....

I still don't know why they're still so adamant to have the next world cups in Russia and Qatar, probably two of the worst possible places in the world to host. Even with all the corruption coming out, they still just pretend that they do everything 100% right.

I still don't know why they're still so adamant to have the next world cups in Russia and Qatar, probably two of the worst possible places in the world to host. Even with all the corruption coming out, they still just pretend that they do everything 100% right.

You answered your own question there.

FIFA's bribery and corruption will continue on under the dictatorship of Blatter and his mates.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Well, that's settled then. England are going to win Euro 2016.

LOL too funny mate. I know you are saying it sarcastically marble but I know there are a good portion of England supporters who think it will be an easy coasting for them now. In my opinion it's about small steps. Hell The FA could barely get 25,000 in Wembley for their friendly v Norway (the media and FA kept saying 40,000 but when you looked at panaromic photos of the stadium, it was closer to 25,000). People are tired of the same boring tactics and lack of creativity by England and Hodgson. I don't blame them. I agree with John Motson from BBC 5 Live saying they should take the England home matches to other grounds around England to gain the trust back of the supporters. Not gouge them through Club Wembley and their remaining GBP 200m/8-9 year debt.

In other results around Matchday 1 of European Qualifiers, no other matches stuck out. Sweden gets a point against Austria (with Zlatan throwing an elbow in the match, luckily not being sent off for violent conduct)

http://youtu.be/tMuBDWwVfr8

LOL too funny mate. I know you are saying it sarcastically marble but I know there are a good portion of England supporters who think it will be an easy coasting for them now. In my opinion it's about small steps.

Hell The FA could barely get 25,000 in Wembley for their friendly v Norway (the media and FA kept saying 40,000 but when you looked at panaromic photos of the stadium, it was closer to 25,000). People are tired of the same boring tactics and lack of creativity by England and Hodgson. I don't blame them. I agree with John Motson from BBC 5 Live saying they should take the England home matches to other grounds around England to gain the trust back of the supporters. Not gouge them through Club Wembley and their remaining GBP 200m/8-9 year debt.

Ye, I am just playing off of our collective over hyping of the national team here in England. We've come through possibly the toughest game we will face in qualifying (reflection of how poor the rest of our group is) with 3 points. Qualification is fully in our own hands so long as we don't trip up because all of the other teams will drop points against each other at some stage.

England HAVE to play games at Wembley. It is contracted. It is also necessary to pay off the debt which inevitably comes with having a huge, modern, world class stadium. People like John Motson (not only him) saying those things doesn't help anyone. The situation isn't going to change. We should focus our energy on the things we can fix.

Scheduling a friendly on a Thursday night just after all of the kids have gone back to school and people have come back from spending money on summer holidays to face second rate teams is never going to draw big crowds. Sure, England's lacklustre performances and style of play doesn't help but it is not the only reason.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

LOL too funny mate. I know you are saying it sarcastically marble but I know there are a good portion of England supporters who think it will be an easy coasting for them now. In my opinion it's about small steps.

Hell The FA could barely get 25,000 in Wembley for their friendly v Norway (the media and FA kept saying 40,000 but when you looked at panaromic photos of the stadium, it was closer to 25,000). People are tired of the same boring tactics and lack of creativity by England and Hodgson. I don't blame them. I agree with John Motson from BBC 5 Live saying they should take the England home matches to other grounds around England to gain the trust back of the supporters. Not gouge them through Club Wembley and their remaining GBP 200m/8-9 year debt.

Ye, I am just playing off of our collective over hyping of the national team here in England. We've come through possibly the toughest game we will face in qualifying (reflection of how poor the rest of our group is) with 3 points. Qualification is fully in our own hands so long as we don't trip up because all of the other teams will drop points against each other at some stage.

England HAVE to play games at Wembley. It is contracted. It is also necessary to pay off the debt which inevitably comes with having a huge, modern, world class stadium. People like John Motson (not only him) saying those things doesn't help anyone. The situation isn't going to change. We should focus our energy on the things we can fix.

Scheduling a friendly on a Thursday night just after all of the kids have gone back to school and people have come back from spending money on summer holidays to face second rate teams is never going to draw big crowds. Sure, England's lacklustre performances and style of play doesn't help but it is not the only reason.

I was wondering what the gate costs comparison are between a England home match at Wembley and a Premier League club home match. I know there is gap in ticket prices from up and down the PL between the clubs. I was thinking maybe costs going to England home matches was one of the problems for low attendances.

You also have to factor in actually travelling to Wembley, which can be a pig to get to if you don't live around London and is rather expensive to boot. If the match is being played on an evening, there's also a chance that you won't be able to catch the last train home to your corner of the country - so you'd have to fork out for accommodation too. It's a regular complaint from fans of northern clubs when Cup semis are being played there as well.

We went to see England play Jamaica at Old Trafford when the team were touring the country during construction of the new Wembley - it's not something we would have entertained doing if the match had been played in London. I'd much prefer to see the team play around the country in a number of different stadiums, but that's just not going to happen.

Hull City owner Assem Allam has placed the club up for sale in a continueous bid to change the name of the club to Huill Tigers. I believe The FA and most importantly, the Hull City supporters have had their say and opinions about their views on the matter. It is about the over 100 years of history of the club. It's bad enough the club board changed the club crest to what they have now, in their first step in converting the club name. Time will tell I guess if anyone will come in and buy Hull City.

I listened to Allam's press conference on the local radio station, it was utterly bizarre. After 40 minutes of rambling the station pulled the plug on their coverage - if Radio Humberside thinks you're tedious, you've got a problem. :P

And yep, we're officially up for sale. Mind, he says that if a buyer can't be found he'll give the club away for nothing. Now, I clearly don't possess Allam's renowned business acumen but even so I'd think saying you're prepared to give something away isn't the strongest bargaining position to put yourself in as you're trying to sell it?

A few other points...

• He's currently in the process of appealing to the Court of Arbitration for Sport against the FA's block on changing the name. When asked, he had no idea how long this process would take. Oddly though, noted football journo David Conn tweeted afterwards that he'd been in touch with the CAS and they had no record of any appeal being made by the club, likewise the FA - who would be informed of such a process - had no knowledge of any appeal either. Hmm...
  • He claims too that a shirt sponsor pulled out of a deal on the day the FA blocked the name change, we then had to settle for the lesser deal offered by 12Bet. This directly contradicts an interview given by his son who said that no sponsorships depended on or would be affected by the name change being rejected.
  • To illustrate that he is indeed a man of his word, he pointed to his promise that he'd walk away from the club within 24 hours if the FA said no. The fact that he's still there giving a press conference five months later does kind of undermine him there.

I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear that Arsenal got a mention, Mr Gooner. Allam stated that his name change wouldn't be like taking a club's proper name and adding its nickname to it - that would be like renaming Arsenal 'Arsenal Gunners'. Er, no - you are trying to take our proper name and stick our separate nickname onto it, you great loon. He still genuinely appears to think the club is actually called 'Hull City Tigers'.

Gah.

Catching news that Tottenham's new stadium won't be ready to hold games for the 2017-18 season, meaning that the team will likely have to share a stadium. Likely candidates include Wembley and, um, Stadium MK. Probably the oddest though is that the Emirates is looking a possibility as well, it would be odd but definitely interesting for the BPL to have their own Derby della Capitale for a season.

Archived