...so, that was a nutty day in England.

Leicester outplaying Spurs.

Hardly outplayed. Spurs dominated posession and had more shots on goal and more on target. How do I know? I was at the match. If you go by just watching highlights of a couple of Leicester attacks then that shows how editing can make a game look different. Gutting to lose it in the fashion we did but we have done the same to other clubs this year. Leicester did deserve a penalty though. The ref got that one wrong by a mile.

The cup has lost alot of prestige because prem clubs have large squads that Spurs,Swansea, Chelsea, and City made huge changes yesterday. The BBC bang on about giant killing but it really happens when these clubs play a second string team now with maybe two first team regulars.

Look at Hull City, Wigan Athletic, and Sheffield United last year all making the semifinals.

And that is the point why it has lost prestige as the clubs batlling in the top half of the premier do not really care about it now as most dont about the League cup. For those teams to make a semi final says alot about how the bigger clubs are not bothered about it anymore.

Mourinho going on about being shameful losing to Bradford is just a front. If he lifts the Champions League or Prem league trophy do you really think that loss will matter to him. No. The fans wont care either. Because of the greed in the Champions League the FA Cup has become a hindrance to those teams. Speaking to Chelsea fans today I spoke to most laughed it off as a bad day but as a couple said it's only the Fa Cup.

Speaking to other Tottenham fans today also summed it up as most were saying as we are still in the Europa League and battling for the top 4 is it really that bad we went out as it helps stop a fixture pile up of matches. Some also said they would rather see us win the Europa league as that is now a gateway into the Champions League.

glory10.png

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hardly outplayed. Spurs dominated posession and had more shots on goal and more on target. How do I know? I was at the match. If you go by just watching highlights of a couple of Leicester attacks then that shows how editing can make a game look different. Gutting to lose it in the fashion we did but we have done the same to other clubs this year. Leicester did deserve a penalty though. The ref got that one wrong by a mile.

The cup has lost alot of prestige because prem clubs have large squads that Spurs,Swansea, Chelsea, and City made huge changes yesterday. The BBC bang on about giant killing but it really happens when these clubs play a second string team now with maybe two first team regulars.

Look at Hull City, Wigan Athletic, and Sheffield United last year all making the semifinals.

And that is the point why it has lost prestige as the clubs batlling in the top half of the premier do not really care about it now as most dont about the League cup. For those teams to make a semi final says alot about how the bigger clubs are not bothered about it anymore. Mourinho going on about being shameful losing to Bradford is just a front. If he lifts the Champions League or Prem league trophy do you really think that loss will matter to him. No. The fans wont care either. Because of the greed in the Champions League the FA Cup has become a hindrance to those teams. Speaking to Chelsea fans today I spoke to most laughed it off as a bad day but as a couple said it's only the Fa Cup.

But you do know that the FA Cup is not all about the Premier League clubs and if it is a hindrance on their fixture schedule and their aspirations toward Champions League berths/qualification. It's about the national football competition of England. So if the plastic glory hunting clubs and supporters (and of course I am not saying in the least you are one of them IanC) say that the FA Cup is just a waste of a competition and a hindrance, well then :censored: those clubs. The FA Cup is about history and tradition and the love of the beautiful game. That's why it's still loved by clubs not just all around England but watched with love all around the world. So screw the big named clubs...hell Arsenal still plays for the FA Cup each and every year because of their history in that competition. We love the FA Cup because of what could happen and the glory that comes with it.

And that is the point why it has lost prestige as the clubs batlling in the top half of the premier do not really care about it now as most dont about the League cup. For those teams to make a semi final says alot about how the bigger clubs are not bothered about it anymore. Mourinho going on about being shameful losing to Bradford is just a front. If he lifts the Champions League or Prem league trophy do you really think that loss will matter to him. No. The fans wont care either. Because of the greed in the Champions League the FA Cup has become a hindrance to those teams. Speaking to Chelsea fans today I spoke to most laughed it off as a bad day but as a couple said it's only the Fa Cup.

But you do know that the FA Cup is not all about the Premier League clubs and if it is a hindrance on their fixture schedule and their aspirations toward Champions League berths/qualification. It's about the national football competition of England. So if the plastic glory hunting clubs and supporters (and of course I am not saying in the least you are one of them IanC) say that the FA Cup is just a waste of a competition and a hindrance, well then :censored: those clubs. The FA Cup is about history and tradition and the love of the beautiful game. That's why it's still loved by clubs not just all around England but watched with love all around the world. So screw the big named clubs...hell Arsenal still plays for the FA Cup each and every year because of their history in that competition. We love the FA Cup because of what could happen and the glory that comes with it.

I actually agree with you. I remember during the 80's when it was the top cup competition domestically. Thats when the big clubs would still field a strong team against the minnows and then was more of a cup shock as the amatuer players who were only milkmen, labourers and dustmen did make it more romantic to watch. Nowadays that spark has gone from it. Trouble has come from making a European competition that was exclusively for League champions and then getting rid of a cup that was for all european cup winners also. Uefa went greedy as they had to do something as the big European clubs were threatening to pull out with the G 14 clubs wanting more money. Thats what has made it lose prestige. Fair play for Arsenal to sticking to those roots of treating the FA Cup with respect.

glory10.png

I don't think that anybody with an opinion of any real worth is saying that the FA cup is a hindrance or a waste of a competition. It's an easy excuse to fall back on if you get knocked out but it isn't true.

The FA cup has lost none of its 'prestige'. Lower league teams beating higher opposition is a part of the competitions prestige if anything. It is unique in that way. Look throughout the competitions history and you will find the situation we are in now where a lot of the biggest teams have been knocked is not a new situation.

Only Chelsea and Spurs made more changes to their previous starting XI than Arsenal. It's just as easy to label a club as taking it seriously as it is to label a club as not taking it seriously in hindsight depending on the result.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

I don't think that anybody with an opinion of any real worth is saying that the FA cup is a hindrance or a waste of a competition. It's an easy excuse to fall back on if you get knocked out but it isn't true.

The FA cup has lost none of its 'prestige'. Lower league teams beating higher opposition is a part of the competitions prestige if anything. It is unique in that way. Look throughout the competitions history and you will find the situation we are in now where a lot of the biggest teams have been knocked is not a new situation.

Only Chelsea and Spurs made more changes to their previous starting XI than Arsenal. It's just as easy to label a club as taking it seriously as it is to label a club as not taking it seriously in hindsight depending on the result.

Up to a point I agree with you but amongst alot of fans from the big teams on forums there is a lack of prestige about it and that is before the competition kicks off so it's not about being knocked out and then saying it's not that important. The tarnishing started when Manchester United refused to enter it when they preferred to play half way across the world in a trophy designed by FIFA.

The commentator said the other night when Manchester United played Cambridge that it is not right United have not won this for over ten years. Watching the game in a pub the general concensus with United fans was they have other priorities like qualifying for the Champions League.

I am just quoting what I have heard amongst other fans so it is not my actual opinion on it but as I stated if the top clubs choose not to field a strong team anymore then that is the clubs decision and takes a certain shine off the cup.

glory10.png

Up to a point I agree with you but amongst alot of fans from the big teams on forums there is a lack of prestige about it and that is before the competition kicks off so it's not about being knocked out and then saying it's not that important. The tarnishing started when Manchester United refused to enter it when they preferred to play half way across the world in a trophy designed by FIFA.

The commentator said the other night when Manchester United played Cambridge that it is not right United have not won this for over ten years. Watching the game in a pub the general concensus with United fans was they have other priorities like qualifying for the Champions League.

I appreciate I am 'shooting the messenger' with what you are saying but the fans, commentators, pundits and journalists can think/say what they want but it is the managers and players who ultimately decide the prestigiousness. It's not as if every Premier League side is fielding their U18s.

You are correct that United shunned the FA Cup one year, which didn't help it's reputation. But that was an isolated incident 15 years ago. For the most part, nothing has changed when it comes to Premier League clubs attitude towards the cup for even longer than that. Yes, teams field weakened lineups but that has been happening for years and years.

Chelsea advance to the Capital One Cup Final with a extra time winner by Ivanovic leading to 1-0 aet second leg (2-1 aggregate) win over Liverpool. It was a fiery affair with nine bookings being shown by Michael Oliver and Diego Costa being at the center of all the attention with two possible stampings on Liverpool players. The FA might investigate and impose retrospective action against Costa if Oliver said he didn't see the incidents in his match report. All I can say it was a heated match with Rodgers and Mourinho arguing on the touchline in the second half, Costa and Gerrard coming together head on head, and the alleged stampings.

http://www.timesoccer.com/video/04/14-chelsea-vs-liverpool-live-champions-highlights.html

So who do you think will progress from the Blades v Spurs semifinal? I think the Blades will cause an upset...just the way the past weekend has played out :P

So who do you think will progress from the Blades v Spurs semifinal? I think the Blades will cause an upset...just the way the past weekend has played out :P

An early goal for Spurs ends the tie in my opinion. Sheff Utd would need to score 3 on the night to beat Spurs without penalties.

Sheff Utd are good at upping their game against Premier League opposition but as seen in the first leg, if they try and match Spurs' high intensity they will fade after 70-75 minutes. It is (in my biased opinion) very much Spurs' tie to lose.

I am gutted that I am not going up to Sheffield to watch this. I am confident we will go through as we have played well away from home this season. Hopefully then it will be a repeat of the final in 2008 which we went on to lift the cup.

glory10.png

Well. It wouldn't be Spurs if they didn't make hard work of things.

The last ten minutes were very nervy to watch. Eriksen though is really showing his class this year. So a repeat of the 2008 League Cup Final beckons.

Spurs have met Chelsea twice in Wembley finals and come out 2-1 winners in both matches.

If Spurs go on to win the final then they have a unique record that only Manchester United match. That is a domestic trophy won every decade since the 1950's.

glory10.png

More importantly, with Spurs reaching a Cup final will we have a new Chas 'n' Dave song to look forward to? :P

That is only for the FA Cup normally.

glory10.png

Seems like Jürgen Klopp's job isn't that save anymore.

Btw. Hertha's coach Jos Luhukay got fired today after two losses and after we are now just one place in front of Dortmund. Hertha's legend Pal Dardai takes his place. He's also currently the national team coach of Hungary.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Archived