• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a lot of competition for Jenkinson both in the loan and transfer situations. I always believe Jenkinson needed regular first-team play to develop his defensive skills. He got a good run last season with the lengthy Sagna injury. But with recent signings of Debuchy and Chambers, and with talks of getting right back Javi Manquillo on a season long loan from Atletico, Jenkinson has no chance of getting any real consistent time. But a club like Hull City, Crystal Palace and QPR would be good for him. He would be almost guaranteed first-team football. With Hull having McShane, Chester and Davies guaranteed spots in the starting back four (and Bruce looking in from the reserve bench), Jenkinson could easily jump into the open left back spot. He would be a good fit for that back line. He did have the freedom from Wenger to run up and down the left side of the pitch as a sweeper. And it did work from time to time. But I saw far too often him getting caught out when he went on his runs. If Bruce does pick him up, I can see Jenkinson having a more reserved defensive role.

Well, Bruce often deploys a three man back line supported by a couple of roving wing backs. I know Jenkinson's natural position is as a full back rather than as a central defender, so Bruce's thinking is probably to have him to play on the flank - Elmohamady has the right wing back position pretty much nailed down, so Bruce might be thinking of using Jenkinson on the left hand side as well as cover/competition for the Egyptian on the right.

The left hand side of defence is certainly an area where we're looking to strengthen. We look to have secured the signing of Andy Robertson from Dundee United who is a left back, and we have Joe Dudgeon coming back from injury who may be able to step up - but they're young and unproven at this level.

Jenkinson is stronger in the left back position. Its hard to find proven defenders for this league. Mostly the proven defenders are snatched up by the big clubss (Shaw being the last, and the best left back in England). But there are some untapped defensive talent in continental Europe, even in the budget for the mid to lower PL clubs. Just need to get those scouts out there. How's Hull City's scouting? Does Bruce get involved?

Hmm. Word is that we've put an actual bid for Jenkinson rather than going for a loan, £3m apparently.

But there are some untapped defensive talent in continental Europe, even in the budget for the mid to lower PL clubs. Just need to get those scouts out there. How's Hull City's scouting? Does Bruce get involved?

We look to be going for young British talent at the moment, as well as trying to sort out our pitifully neglected youth system. I think influencing this policy is the fact that we'll have to field a reduced squad in the Europa League (21 man rather than 25 man) as we don't have enough homegrown players who have been developed by the club to satisfy UEFA's regulations.

Bruce seems to be pretty hands on when it comes to recruitment, and looks to have good contacts. He's certainly pulled off some really good deals (ensnaring Huddlestone, for example) so no complaints so far.

MInd, on the subject of transfers we're in an odd situation in our pursuit of young Harry Maguire of Sheffield United. We've put a couple of bids in, the Blades turned them down. We then said our interest in him was over. Sheffield United responded by saying they'd accept our last bid. This morning we've put a statement out saying we might not want him any more, but we'll have a think about it this afternoon and let Sheffield United know what we decide.

Odd.

Yeah I just saw the £3m bid from Hull City for Carl Jenkinson. That's good news for both the player and both clubs. Though West Ham is the desired destination for the English full back but I don't know if Allardyce will come up with the funds in time or if Jenkinson is even in his plans for 2014/15. Also, Swansea and Sunderland are in the hunt for Jenkinson.

The whole transfer dealings are sometimes an odd apple at that. Look at the whole Remy affair. Liverpool said he failed a medical and that's the reason why the transfer failed. But Redknapp is saying the deal fell through for other reasons due to Remy being "highly fit" There are so many backroom dealings that we football supporters and even journalists don't even know go on.

Then again, is Redknapp going to say anything other than that his own player is fully fit? If he's still looking to sell him, of course he'll try and convince other clubs to take a chance on him and if not, he'll be spinning the PR machine to make other clubs prepare for a fully fit Rémy.

6fQjS3M.png

I don't really know if Redknapp wants to truly sell Remy. He needs goal scorers at QPR this season being back in the Premier League, Remy had 14 last year. Who else is a proven goal scorer with QPR other than Zamora? Austin, Wright-Phillips and Taarabt are all inconsistent at the best of time. I think this failed Liverpool medical is a blessing in disguised for Redknapp and QPR.

It was reported today that Jenkinson is set to turn down a move £3m move to Hull City and seal a loan move to West Ham United for the season. Jenkinson wants to stay in London and believes he has a chance to play regular First-Team football with Arsenal, which I surely he does not. With the Debuchy and Chalmers signings (starting and backup right backs), he has no chance to break into the Arsenal lineup now. I do understand his wanting to play with Arsenal, but with a move to Hull would have been better for him as a player for development reasons (regular first team play) and career.

Steve Bruce has admitted defeat in the race for the full-back, saying

“I think there was about five or six clubs who would be interested in Carl Jenkinson. He’s a very, very good player. I think Sam [Allardyce] is in the box seat, because of being in London. It was someone who we showed an interest in. But when a really good young player comes out of Arsenal, or one of the big clubs, then a club like ours will always be looking at them. He’s got about five or six clubs to choose from but from what I understand he wants to stay in London.”

I think he'll do ok under Allardyce but I believe he should have taken the transfer to Hull. Such a better chance to progress on his career under Bruce as he's a better man-management coach than Allardyce.

I don't think it has to do with the permanent move. I think in his mind he believes he still has a chance with Arsenal and he doesn't want to give up on that dream. Wenger has been quoted in the past that Jenkinson is in the club's future plans. But that was last season and Wenger has already signed two right-backs this transfer season. Maybe he is part of the plan but I don't think we should hold on to him. I think the £3m offer by Hull City (which was not matched by West Ham United) is a good deal. It's a higher price than Jenkinson is actually worth. Nice to roll that cash back into the war chest. But we'll see what comes out with the talks with the Hammers over the next 24 hours.

How many teams are getting relegated this year Crash? Everyone seems to be doomed in your plans!

In my opinion, Hull and Southampton would have to have a terrible season to go down. The bottom 5 or 6 teams in the league are utter garbage and to finish below them, you need to have an absolute mare of a season.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Predictions:

- English football will face another hard year, with once again a massive 10 teams finishing in the bottom half of the table.

- A team from London or Manchester wins the title

- Manchester United does extremely bad in the Champions league, failing to win or even show up to a single game

- Burnley scores a goal

- Didier Drogba fails to get the support of Mourinho and demands a loan to West Brom

- Swansea will finish as the top team in Wales, causing Vincent Tan to change Cardiff's team colours to white and black.

- Despite all the buildup and hope, Rickie Lambert fails to live up to his truly great Liverpool predeseccor, Emile Heskey.

I'll eat my broom if any if those predictions dont follow through.

Predictions:

- English football will face another hard year, with once again a massive 10 teams finishing in the bottom half of the table.

- Manchester United does extremely bad in the Champions league, failing to win or even show up to a single game

- Burnley scores a goal

- Didier Drogba fails to get the support of Mourinho and demands a loan to West Brom

- Swansea will finish as the top team in Wales, causing Vincent Tan to change Cardiff's team colours to white and black.

- Despite all the buildup and hope, Rickie Lambert fails to live up to his truly great Liverpool predeseccor, Emile Heskey.

Dont 10 English teams have to be Ing the bottom of the EPL? Or am I missing something

How many teams are getting relegated this year Crash? Everyone seems to be doomed in your plans!

In my opinion, Hull and Southampton would have to have a terrible season to go down. The bottom 5 or 6 teams in the league are utter garbage and to finish below them, you need to have an absolute mare of a season.

I don't think Southampton will go down but if they don't reinvest, they're gonna have one of the worst sides in the league.

Hull were barely good enough to survive last year when it was all set and done and they weren't playing 10 more matches than everyone else. We've seen it happen with sides like Newcastle and Swansea struggling with the Europa League and being up against relegation and both of those teams are/were far more talented than Hull are.

Predictions:

- Burnley scores a goal

Dont 10 English teams have to be Ing the bottom of the EPL? Or am I missing something

If Swansea finish in the bottom half, there won't be. ;)

6fQjS3M.png

A Europa League campaign makes the season more demanding on a squad, but the majority of teams manage to stay up. I'm struggling to think of teams who have been relegated the same season as they've played in Europe - Blackburn waaaay back I think, but are there any others? Maybe then it's not quite the poisoned chalice brimming full of relegation juice it's reckoned to be...

Rest assured though that we'll Typical City™ something up sooner or later, mind. :D

Bizarre to think that our season starts tomorrow with a competitive European fixture. Usually the only competitive fixtures we have with teams from other countries is when we play Swansea or Cardiff. :P

It has proven in years past that Europa League have made a PL season more demanding for a squad, especially small squads like Wigan last season and Tottenham the previous two seasons. I couldn't find anything on any other clubs other than Blackburn being relegated the same season while being in European competition. Of course there is the blip of Wigan being relegated the same year as winning The FA Cup.

Here's hoping that Hull does well in the Europe getting a great experience out of it (for both players and travelling supporters) and finish well in the PL. I will be watching the Trencin v Hull City 3RQ tomorrow.

Then again more than anything, I'm just trying to rile Jaffa up. :P

One of the promoted teams just flat isn't going to be good enough—and that's probably gonna be Burnley. But really, I think it's conceivable that any of the bottom 13 from last year could go down. I wouldn't anticipate Newcastle being in the mix and Southampton shouldn't be unless the owner pockets the money and runs but other than that, I don't think any of those other sides can go into the season without thinking about the drop.

6fQjS3M.png

Then again more than anything, I'm just trying to rile Jaffa up. :P

I kinda guessed so :P

Predictions:
- Burnley scores a goal

I think the above predictions should hold true :P

It was announced on ESPN FC that Everton has signed Romelu Lukaku from Chelsea for a club record fee of £28m. All I can say is wow! Good to see Lukaku will be playing permanently for the Toffees and first team football. Never understood why Mourinho never had any faith in him.

Archived