2014-2024: The next 10 years in sports

DarkJourney

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the LeBron signing...

...Minnesota becomes the poster city for championship droughts.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

NHL

Flyers: Playoff appearances every year, won't make a Stanley Cup Final appearance, maybe a couple Conference Final appearances. Possibly have another GM by the latter stages of the ten years, but not a given. Wouldn't be surprised to see Giroux with another team ten years from now, either.

NFL

Vikings: Maybe one or two playoff appearances, Andrian Peterson will not finish his career as a Viking save for a catastrophic injury.

Patriots: A couple/few playoff runs early in the ten years but will slowly deminish to average to below average as Tom Brady's career winds down.

Eagles: lol

MLB

Phillies: The magic is long lost.

NBA

snore

Ole Miss football -The Rebels will win 1 NAT'L Title

Ole Miss Baseball- The Rebels win the 2015 CWS led by senior 1B Sikes Orvis.

Mississippi State becomes the laughing stock of the SEC and and all of College football

The SEC will expand to 18teams by 2022 adding Georgia Tech,Clemson,Florida State,and Wake Forest

The New Orleans Voodoo move out of New Orleans and move to Brooklyn,allowing the new MLB team to assume the moniker.

Fins Up!!

I'll go with my teams...

With the West becoming as competitive as it is; the Spurs will again compete for the #1 seed for the next two years. They fall short in 2015 but get back into the 2016 Finals against the Cleveland Cavaliers, who were stunned the prior year by the Clippers. It's an epic series, with both 2015 acquisitions Klay Thompson and Robin Lopez standing out, but, ultimately, they fall short in six games. However, since Game 6 was in San Antonio, it's still a heartfelt farewell as Duncan decides to retire following the series.

Ginobili had retired the prior year, suffering one final knee injury in the 2015 Clippers series.

Although the loss is initially severe, so much so that they enter the All-Star Break hovering above .500, they're able to come together and get the #4 seed. Although they ultimately lose in the second round against eventual Western representative San Francisco, the feeling for the franchise is one of optimism.

It will be another two years, led by two-time Defensive Player of the Year Kawhi Leonard and a final mad run by Parker and Popovich, before they return to the Finals against the Sixers. The series is like clockwork, ending in just five games with the emergence of Kyle Anderson off the bench. With that, Parker decides to retire, but not before helping France earn a Bronze medal in the 2019 FIBA World Cup.

After much speculation, Popovich announces his retirement from coaching; however, he retains his position as president of basketball operations, promoting longtime assistant coach Matt Bonner as head coach. The Spurs continue to be competitive, but keep falling short to their divisional rivals the Pelicans. The closest they'd get would be against the Los Angeles Lakers, with MVP Julius Randle and sharpshooter Russell Westbrook, in the 2021 Western Conference Finals, who they lose to in seven.

GR30a5H.png

Philadelphia Eagles- by 2024 will have a Super Bowl win. Will be a good contender in 2016. Chip Kelly statue on top of city hall instead of William Penn

And while they're at it, they'll rename Pennsylvania "Kellysylvania".

Seriously, have you been smoking those funny cigarettes?

Well they're already working on the statue, but instead of City Hall they're going to put it on the new Comcast IT building which will be topped off in late '16 or early '17. That way Kelly can look down over the whole city.

comcast-innovation-and-technology-center

4/2/2017, President Clinton botches the first pitch at Nationals home opener against the Winnipeg Rays, and the headline in the Post is "President Throws Like a Girl".

Not to be rude, but why move the Rays to Winnipeg? I highly doubt they can support a MLB team in the first place.

Every team except the Eagles should move to Winnipeg. That's why.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Tim Tebow will make a huge comeback with the Broncos after Manning retires, and he will win a Super Bowl.

Oh, a QB will come back to Denver, alright, but it won't be Tebow. More in a second.

The Broncos will win the next two SB's (one will be over Eli and the Giants). Then, Peyton retires, and his successor struggles in 2016 (Osweiler or Dysert).

That opens the return for.....JAY CUTLER!!!

In his first year, the Broncos lose to the Chargers in the playoffs, as Rivers goes on to win his first ring and call it quits.

The next two years, though, Cutler leads the Broncos to two more SB titles, and they are the team of the decade.

He retires shortly after that.

As for Denver's long-term future after that, it depends on Elway and his committment to the job.

Portland Trail Blazers: I see them getting to the second round next year, at least. However, they are in the tough Western Conference, so they may need to get a break to get to the NBA Finals (I don't see them doing that in 2015, but maybe sometime after that).

Pittsburgh Penguins: With a new coach and GM who seems to be committed to making the team tougher, I can see them getting back to a Stanley Cup Final or two within the next few years, but losing to Chicago or LA, the teams that may end up being the co-team of the decade.

What the hey.

Packers - Continual competitiveness in the division as long as Aaron Rodgers/Mike McCarthy stay together. Couple Super Bowls, Aaron probably plays until the early 2020's.

Flames - If they get McDavid/Eichel next summer, I expect them to be competitive as early as 2015, with playoff appearances, tough to say if a Cup can happen within 10 years, seeing as how tough the West is.

Blue Jays - Probably a slump starting in 2015, well the youth gets going again. Back up in 2018 and from there on they're could probably be a decent team in the AL East.

Blue Bombers - Win 3 Grey Cup's and are no longer the laughing stock of the CFL. They'll win it next year in front of their fans.

Raptors - Could probably be a top 2 seed this year if they stay healthy and continue to grow. Toronto is going to be a Basketball hub for years to come I think.

Alabama Football - Just keep on Rollin, as long as their the #1 recruiting school in the nation, they'll be good.

Newcastle United - As long as Mike Ashley owns the club, they will never finish higher than 7th and never lower than 16th, so yeah midtable!

Netherlands National Football Team - Euro 2016, they'll be a co-favourite alongside Germany. If the youth continues to grow then 2018 might not be so bad. Especially with Robben, RVP and Sneijder all 34 by then.

Oh and the Flames will continue to lobby for an arena and won't get one and will threaten relocation until they get it.

Outsider predictions

The NFL will expand to LA and London by 2024.

The CFL will have 10 teams by 2018 (Moncton probably)

The NHL will expand to Seattle and Quebec by 2020

Qatar will not host the 2022 World Cup, it won't go to the States as they'll win the 2026 bid. England, France or Germany will step up as replacements.

Some team in the MLB will be in Montreal by 2022.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Also: Toronto will host a MLB ASG. Last time we hosted was in 1991, so we're due for another one soon. They're probably gonna wait until the grass renovations, so 2018 at the earliest. My guess is 2020.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

At the beginning of the decade, the Hispanic market, both recruitment wise and marketing wise, will begin to become more prominent within both the NFL and the NBA as a reflection of the changing demographic of the country (as the population born in this decade will start to be recruit ten years from now). This will be reflected by the rise of Hispanic superstars in the NFL and will turn the Southwest into the new Southeast as far as recruitment is concerned. This will be a boon to Southwestern colleges, with Pac-12 and Mountain West schools benefiting greatly.

New markets like Albuquerque and Santa Fe will be mentioned as expansion locations across all major sports, and markets like San Antonio and San Diego will be re-evaluated. Even longshots like Mexico City.

GR30a5H.png

Canucks will make the cup finals and collapse again

Raptors will win the finals and disappear into oblivion, much like the 06' Hurricanes

Blue Jays will contend for years and not make a single World Series

Seahawks will win another Super Bowl and yo-yo from losing in the wild cards to not making the playoffs from there on

Whitecaps don't do anything, as always...

In the next 10 years....

The Washington Redskins will ultimately change their name to Washington Warriors (Snyder already owns that name). The team will update the current logo and unveil new uniforms. Members of this website will like the updated logo. Members of this website will generally dislike the new uniforms. I will punch a wall (breaking my hand in the process) upon finding out the Skins/Warriors have introduced a gold/yellow jersey.

The Washington Nationals will make 2 World Series appearance. Losing both.

Behind closed doors the ownership of the Oakland Raiders & Athletics will start planning relocation. The Athletics one and only relocation target will be San Jose. The Raiders will try to work themselves into Los Angeles only to find out people of influence in LA will block the Raiders from returning to the city unless they do a complete rebrand. Refusing to rebrand the Raiders look elsewhere and consider taking a huge gamble on current non-NFL cities in the western US.

An iconic sports figure will die.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

here is what i see (first the bad)

1: i see a major sports star dying during his/her prime within the next 10 year

2: I see, i hope i am proven wrong, something on the lines of another Boston Bombing type event at a sporting event (say outside of the stadium in the parking lot or somekind of drive by outside an arena) someplace in the USA/Canada or Europe (non high profile game/sporting event). like i said, i hope i am proven wrong.

3: see somekind of major sports league having a major scandal involving a team or player (fixing games).

now the good:

1: North Melbourne Kangaroos winning 2 or 3 Flags within the next 10 years.

2: one major sports star will come out.

3: Pete Rose getting in the Baseball Hall of Fame

4: 2022 Fifa World Cup will be in England or Europe (because Fifa decised that the Qatar (mainly Middle East) has become to dangerous to host. Fifa will say that they will look into Qatar hosting it when the area because more safe for teams to go) and the 2026 will be in the USA.

5: one Canadian NHL team will win the Stanley Cup

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Both the Coyotes and the Panthers' ownerships collapse for odd reasons in the same offseason. Coyotes move to Portland due to Seattle still building the new arena, where the then-demolished KeyArena used to be. Panthers move to Quebec to no one's surprise. NHL expands to 32 with the addition of Seattle and Kansas City, both getting NBA teams later on.

Archived