2014-2024: The next 10 years in sports

DarkJourney

The changes will be more on how we will receive sports.

Even in 2024, there will still be contracts which terrestrial TV will be apart of. Not sure after that since B1G is only a six year deal which is expires in 2023.

But by 2024, the major FBS schools will break off.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

The changes will be more on how we will receive sports.

Even in 2024, there will still be contracts which terrestrial TV will be apart of. Not sure after that since B1G is only a six year deal which is expires in 2023.

But by 2024, the major FBS schools will break off.

Yeah, pay per game is surely on the way a lot sooner than we think... across all major sports.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

• 1 month later...

For teams in each league.

MLB-

Moves: A's to San Jose, Rays to Charlotte (Racers).

Expansions: Montreal (Expos), Vancouver (Bears).

NFL-

Moves: Rams to LA (already confirmed), Chargers to LA (also already confirmed), Cardinals to Saint Louis, Raiders to Oklahoma City.

NBA-

Moves: Grizzlies to Seattle (SuperSonics), Bucks to Norfolk/Newport News (Squires)

Expansions: Vancouver (Grizzlies), Louisville (Colonels)

NHL-

Expansions: Las Vegas (Gamblers), Seattle (Totems)

Mergers (two years after expansion): Coyotes into Gamblers, Panthers into Lightning.

Moves (after expansion and mergers): Predators to Toronto (Toros), Blue Jackets to Quebec City (Nordiques), Devils to Hamilton (Bulldogs), Hurricanes to Hartford (Whalers).

On 5/21/2016 at 9:51 PM, 2001mark said:

Yeah, pay per game is surely on the way a lot sooner than we think... across all major sports.

I actually think the big leagues and major colleges are going to have a culture shock.

The problem is that they benefit greatly from charging people that have no intention of seeing those games. Which is how ESPN basically operates. You just go to charging the people actually watching the games for those games, the price per viewer is going to go up drastically compared to the amount your current cable bill covers for those channels.

Then, there's the other 'big problem', and that's losing the casual fans. Which is how you develop diehard fans. How kids who may have become fans with parents who weren't become fans.

Going to PPV is a short-term pay off with long term consequences.

And before we start arguing how the EPL and the other english leagues survive, they still rely heavily on live attendance. And their big complaint now is pricing out fans. Something American teams have already done due to the insistence that poorer fans can just watch on TV.

My teams' predictions:

Steelers - go to 2 more Super Bowls in 4 years, win at least 1. Ben retires and the rebuilding begins. 

Penguins - lose in the cup in 2018. Fall off in the next 3 years. 

Pirates - are a playoff team for the next five years, lose in the NLCS in their best finish. 

Timberwolves - championship by 2024.  

• 3 weeks later...

Predictions from 2017-2026

NFL
2017: Chargers to Los Angeles, Raiders stay in Oakland for One More Year in 2018 but will play 1 or 2 Games in Levi's Stadium before getting a name change
2018: Raiders to San Jose will now be known as the San Jose Raiders
2020: CFL Merger (All 9 Teams as of 2016) & NFL Expansion: Las Vegas, NV (Blackjack 21's), St. Louis, MO (Archers), San Antonio, TX (Gunslingers), Portland, OR (Breakers), Oklahoma City, OK (Outlaws), Norfolk, VA (Neptunes) & San Diego, CA (Mariners)
2025: Second Expansion including 8 Teams from Outside North America: London, England (Monarchs), Frankfurt, Germany (Galaxy), Barcelona, Spain (Dragons), Amsterdam, Netherlands (Admirals), Tokyo, Japan (Samurai), Dublin, Ireland (Shamrocks), Glasgow, Scotland (Claymores), Sydney, Australia (Outbacks); and 8 Teams Inside North America: Mexico City, Mexico (Aztecs), Raleigh, NC (Skyhawks), Des Moines, IA (Iowa Barnstormers), Columbus, OH (Glory), Memphis, TN (Showboats), Albuquerque, NM (Road Runners), Quebec City, QU (Souvrains) & Sacramento, CA (Surge)

MLB (after the Chicago Cubs won the 2016 World Series)
2018: Oakland Athletics relocate to San Jose, CA: San Jose Athletics
2019: MLB Expansion to Montreal, QU (Expos) & Charlotte, NC (Racers)
2022: 8 Team MLB Expansion to Vancouver, BC (Mounties), Portland, OR (Beavers), San Antonio, TX (Missions), Birmingham, AL (Barons), Las Vegas, NV (Aces), Indianapolis, IN (Hoosiers), Salt Lake City, UT (Bees) & New Orleans, LA (Zephyrs)

NBA
2020: 4 Team Expansion: Seattle Supersonics, Virginia Squires, Kentucky Colonels, Las Vegas Rollers

NHL
2017: 2 Team Expansion: Las Vegas Black Knights & Quebec Nordiques
2021: 4 Team Expansion: Hamilton Bulldogs, Hartford Whalers, Seattle Totems & Cincinnati Stingers

On 7/10/2016 at 9:32 AM, Bulldog said:

For teams in each league.

MLB-

Moves: A's to San Jose, Rays to Charlotte (Racers).

Expansions: Montreal (Expos), Vancouver (Bears).

NFL-

Moves: Rams to LA (already confirmed), Chargers to LA (also already confirmed), Cardinals to Saint LouisRaiders to Oklahoma City.

NBA-

Moves: Grizzlies to Seattle (SuperSonics), Bucks to Norfolk/Newport News (Squires)

Expansions: Vancouver (Grizzlies), Louisville (Colonels)

NHL-

Expansions: Las Vegas (Gamblers), Seattle (Totems)

Mergers (two years after expansion): Coyotes into Gamblers, Panthers into Lightning.

Moves (after expansion and mergers): Predators to Toronto (Toros), Blue Jackets to Quebec City (Nordiques), Devils to Hamilton (Bulldogs), Hurricanes to Hartford (Whalers).

I don't see that happening, with the solid foundation and fan base that this city has for the team

1.  The Memphis Grizzlies will not relocate.  The one thing Memphis did right re Grizzlies is the strict lease, plus the new owner agreed to several provisions which make moving the team very difficult (at least in next decade).

2.  When the Sonics moved, a movement to get NBA back to Seattle started quickly.  There is no such movement in STL regarding the Rams.  I don't see a NFL team in my hometown again in my lifetime (next 50-70 years).  

3.  I don't see a North American league expanding to Europe unless supersonic flight becomes possible again (a la another Concorde).  I see it as a certainty if this technology is developed.

4.  One of the four major sports leagues will move all their championship games to pay TV or streaming services.  

5.  Several more teams will announce plans to replace 20 or so year old stadiums and people will still have "WTF" reactions (a la Turner Field).  

possibilities with "rationale"

Honda Center: need to be in downtown Anaheim or area with more "development" opportunities

Wells Fargo Center: same reason as Anaheim

Everbank Field: will claim stadium is really old because one part remained from old Gator Bowl

Chase Field: already some rumors about Diamondbacks moving to a reservation or someting

Angel Stadium: has been discussed a bit already (was heavily renovated in 90s)

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

On July 8, 2014 at 1:28 AM, DScruggy729 said:

Virginia Tech Football: A fall to mediocrity is long overdue, Frank Beamer will retire, and our current bowl streak will end.

Redskins: A name change and a few more disappointing playoff appearances. Hopefully new ownership. *fingers crossed*

Wizards: Hopefully an extended stay atop the East for the Wall/Beal duo.

DC United: Hopefully an MLS title run this very year.

Everton: Some solid seasons in the EPL, a solid run in Europa League, and qualify for Champions League.

USMNT: A semi-final appearance in the World Cup. I BELIEVE!!! Also, I'm confident we'll get to host the 2026 World Cup.

I disagree, the bowl streak will still be alive 

Archived