Cavaliers Uniforms

OnWis97

Griffey wore three numbers, 3, 30, and 24. Kobe Bryant has worn 8 and 24. I think it's annoying at first when a player changed their number, we get used to it after a while. I mean, do people still have an issue with Kobe not wearing 8 anymore?

griffey.jpg

Wow. I totally forgot about him playing for the White Sox. I was thinking Seattle-24, then he went the Reds-30, but then he changed his number to 3. Forgot about the White Sox.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Griffey will always be 24. Its where he found his most success. When it comes to LeBron, he has some of his best games of his career wearing #23 with the Cavs. He went on to appear in 4 straight NBA Finals with the Heat - winning 2 Championships - now he wants to come back to the Cavs and wear 32? It just doesn't seem right. I think its naive to say we don't associate players with numbers. By no means is it the most important, but to be honest, it diminishes it.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

It just doesn't seem right. I think its naive to say we don't associate players with numbers. By no means is it the most important, but to be honest, it diminishes it.

It never ever diminishes it, and I think it is on rare occassions that we associate a player with ONE single number (i.e. Jordan, Magic, Deon Sanders, Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders, the Yankees legends, and a few select others). Now outside of that I would say local heroes' numbers may be significate to the local fan base, but outside of them nobody else really cares.

Griffey will always be 24. Its where he found his most success. When it comes to LeBron, he has some of his best games of his career wearing #23 with the Cavs. He went on to appear in 4 straight NBA Finals with the Heat - winning 2 Championships - now he wants to come back to the Cavs and wear 32? It just doesn't seem right. I think its naive to say we don't associate players with numbers. By no means is it the most important, but to be honest, it diminishes it.

Griffey was a tremendous talent. He and Grant Hill had almost mirror careers. They were elite when their respective leagues were down, flirted with greatness but eventually became broken down journeymen. Neither will end up in a discussion of being in the all-time greats or even Top 10 due to injury plagued seasons.

Lebron is attempting to get into the GOAT discussion and create a legacy. That's a select few who traditionally have worn a single number or spent the vast majority of their careers with a single club.

Griffey was a tremendous talent. He and Grant Hill had almost mirror careers. They were elite when their respective leagues were down, flirted with greatness but eventually became broken down journeymen. Neither will end up in a discussion of being in the all-time greats or even Top 10 due to injury plagued seasons.

Lebron is attempting to get into the GOAT discussion and create a legacy. That's a select few who traditionally have worn a single number or spent the vast majority of their careers with a single club.

Yeah, that's not true. Grant had a few really good years, but Griffey put up 11 years of absolute HOF numbers. Griffey would have been a Hall-of-Famer had he retired at age 30 instead of playing for the Reds. Hill likely would have made the HOF had he stayed healthy, but Griffey healthy is on the short list for greatest of all time. Even with all the time missed for injuries, he still is sixth on the all-time HR list, and he also won 10 Gold Gloves.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I can't believe this thread has reached 10 pages..btw. im pretty sure Cavs gets new unis next year. Anyone else think differently?

I assume you mean for the 2015/2016 season. I think they'll wait another year. They will go two years with the current set, letting everybody buy three versions of the #6 jersey, then when the Cavs are ready to potentially win a title, they'll switch and give people three more Lebron jerseys to buy.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

For a new squad in Brooklyn, the marketing, merchandising, backing of Jay-Z, and timing helped provide the character and heart needed for their simple look.

I'm a Brooklynite, and I'm pretty sure there are clauses in both my mortgage contract and co-op agreement requiring me to keep proclaiming that Brooklyn is a unique place filled with unique people, but I have no idea what the :censored: you're talking about.

For the Cavs, their simple look has no history, and it came into existence at an awful time, so the timing was off as well. There was no clever marketing blitz to sell us on it either.

A "clever marketing blitz" doesn't make a bad uniform good, or the lack of one a good uniform bad.

I appreciate what you're saying about the timing, though. Right now, those uniforms are the "LeBron left us" uniforms. But given a year, they'll be the "LeBron came back" uniforms, and their "character and heart" will shine through.

I can't believe this thread has reached 10 pages..btw. im pretty sure Cavs gets new unis next year. Anyone else think differently?

I assume you mean for the 2015/2016 season. I think they'll wait another year. They will go two years with the current set, letting everybody buy three versions of the #6 jersey, then when the Cavs are ready to potentially win a title, they'll switch and give people three more Lebron jerseys to buy.

Sorry thats what I meant 2015-16 season. Forgot on these boards I need to clarify cause "next year" technically means 2014-15..? my bad
shado_logo.gif

For a new squad in Brooklyn, the marketing, merchandising, backing of Jay-Z, and timing helped provide the character and heart needed for their simple look.

I'm a Brooklynite, and I'm pretty sure there are clauses in both my mortgage contract and co-op agreement requiring me to keep proclaiming that Brooklyn is a unique place filled with unique people, but I have no idea what the :censored: you're talking about.

For the Cavs, their simple look has no history, and it came into existence at an awful time, so the timing was off as well. There was no clever marketing blitz to sell us on it either.

A "clever marketing blitz" doesn't make a bad uniform good, or the lack of one a good uniform bad.

I appreciate what you're saying about the timing, though. Right now, those uniforms are the "LeBron left us" uniforms. But given a year, they'll be the "LeBron came back" uniforms, and their "character and heart" will shine through.

In reference to Brooklyn, I honestly don't think their look would have been as well received had it not been for the marketing behind it. That's what I was trying to say, I can be a little wordy sometimes. :P (And also, while marketing can't make a uniform "bad" or "good," it can certainly affect people's perceptions of it.)

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

I agree. He should stick with #6. Changing his number is diluting his legacy... same as if he were to keep jumping back and forth between multiple teams.

"Huh?"

991007-1143521579434-pistol_pete_maravic

ppmm.jpg

I said it dilutes it. That's objective fact. Doesn't mean it destroys, it means it is lessened.

Also, Pete Maravich is known far more for the "Pistol" nickname than he ever was for #44 or #7. But still, changing numbers each time you switch teams (especially if the numbers are somewhat different, like #23, #6, and #32) can cause some dilution. Not enough to cause any real damage to his legacy, but still a tiny bit.

Numbers kinda form the basis for a player's personal brand in a way. They can't control the uniform or colors changing, but they (for the most part) can control the number, and have good reasons for keeping it consistent as much as possible, which is why I totally understand when they make deals with lesser players to buy the number when they get traded, or in some cases (Jonatan Papelbon in Phila for example) work it in to the contract that he'll wear that number, even though it was being worn by someone else at the time who didn't get a say (not that he cared anyway.)

I think its dumb for players to attach their numbers to their merch (if they have their own brands), twitter handles, or anything else just because they can change, but I get why they do it and even if you don't promote yourself by your number, it still does make a shot of you more recognizeable if you're associated even subconsciously with a particular digit.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Numbers kinda form the basis for a player's personal brand in a way.

I do believe this is true, but only a select few can claim their number is forever linked with that player. When someone says NFL with #21, almost everyone thinks of Deon Sanders. When someone says NBA with #23, it is instantly Michael Jordan and not LeBron. I don't think #23 or #6 is truly glued to James. I think he can pick another number and if he wins the first professional championship in Cleveland since 1964, is new number may be forever attached to him without diluting anything he accomplished prior.

the one sport were numbers are remembered the most are in hockey i think......66,68,77,99 are numbers alot of people know.....where as in basket only 23 really comes to mind......baseball even more obscure, ...........am i right ?

the one sport were numbers are remembered the most are in hockey i think......66,68,77,99 are numbers alot of people know.....where as in basket only 23 really comes to mind......baseball even more obscure, ...........am i right ?

Wrong.

I know none but 99. Hockey is the least popular big 4 sport so I highly doubt that's true. Basketball and football are the ones with highly recognizable numbers IMO.

Football:

4: Favre

7: Elway

12: Brady

16: Montana

80: Rice

81: Owens

92: Reggie White

Basketball:

3: Iverson

21: Duncan

23: Jordan

32: Magic

33: Bird

34: Hakeem

41: Dirk

By the way other top 10 players wore better players' numbers (Shaq wearing both Magic/Hakeem), Dr J (Bill Russell).

Numbers kinda form the basis for a player's personal brand in a way.

I do believe this is true, but only a select few can claim their number is forever linked with that player. When someone says NFL with #21, almost everyone thinks of Deon Sanders. When someone says NBA with #23, it is instantly Michael Jordan and not LeBron. I don't think #23 or #6 is truly glued to James. I think he can pick another number and if he wins the first professional championship in Cleveland since 1964, is new number may be forever attached to him without diluting anything he accomplished prior.

The bolded part is true, but that doesn't mean that tons of players don't try to build a brand that's based on their numbers. "Ocho Cinco", "Cinco Ocho", "MV7" (Michael Vick's clothing line), "CP3", etc. all come to mind. None of those guys (maybe Chad johnson) will be forever associated with their numbers, but in each of their own minds, that's their number.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived