Cavaliers Uniforms

OnWis97

Great arguments here but it's just falling on deaf ears, so to speak, for me. I've always associated great players with their nicknames and highlights. I've never been influenced by their number. I don't care how many time LeBron or Kobe change numbers they are still freaking LeBron and Kobe, or King and Mamba.

Truth be told the only numbers that leave more of a lasting impression when it's comes to...let's say Kobe, are 81 and 5. I think those are more legacy builders than his jersey number. I'll always remember he dropped 81 in one game, second to only Wilt, but I don't remember what number he was wearing. It was the performance that stands out, not that he changed his number later on. I think Jordan is the outlier, at least in basketball, because of how he used his number in marketing his shoes. That and being the best player helped too.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think certain numbers do get associated with certain players. Ask someone to think of a "21" or "42" in baseball and I don't think anyone who say anything beyond Clemente and Robinson, for example.

All sports have certain numbers that become attached to players. Ask a hockey fan to think of a "9" and see how often you don't get Gordie Howe.

the one sport were numbers are remembered the most are in hockey i think......66,68,77,99 are numbers alot of people know.....where as in basket only 23 really comes to mind......baseball even more obscure, ...........am i right ?

I know none but 99. Hockey is the least popular big 4 sport so I highly doubt that's true. Basketball and football are the ones with highly recognizable numbers IMO.

Football:

4: Favre

7: Elway

12: Brady

16: Montana

80: Rice

81: Owens

92: Reggie White

Seriously? 12 has been THE glamour number for QBs for generations. Joe Namath, Roger Staubach, Terry Bradshaw, Ken Stabler, Jim Kelly, Aaron Rodgers.....

I think certain numbers do get associated with certain players. Ask someone to think of a "21" or "42" in baseball and I don't think anyone who say anything beyond Clemente and Robinson, for example.

All sports have certain numbers that become attached to players. Ask a hockey fan to think of a "9" and see how often you don't get Gordie Howe.

Ask a 27 year old about 42 and 9 you get Rivera and Modano.

Numbers are tied to a persons memories and consciousness. No matter how much I know of the history of the game- it's just that... History.

Personal experiences and life experiences with a number determine a persons attribution of a number to an individual.

I can watch the move "42" a hundred times- Rivera is right there with Robinson.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

the one sport were numbers are remembered the most are in hockey i think......66,68,77,99 are numbers alot of people know.....where as in basket only 23 really comes to mind......baseball even more obscure, ...........am i right ?

I know none but 99. Hockey is the least popular big 4 sport so I highly doubt that's true. Basketball and football are the ones with highly recognizable numbers IMO.

Football:

Seriously? 12 has been THE glamour number for QBs for generations. Joe Namath, Roger Staubach, Terry Bradshaw, Ken Stabler, Jim Kelly, Aaron Rodgers.....

Exactly. And those QBs are all probably better than that overrated guy.

Ask a 27 year old about 42 and 9 you get Rivera and Modano.

Numbers are tied to a persons memories and consciousness. No matter how much I know of the history of the game- it's just that... History.

Personal experiences and life experiences with a number determine a persons attribution of a number to an individual.

I can watch the move "42" a hundred times- Rivera is right there with Robinson.

This happened quite some time before I was born, and even longer before I can consciously remember even watching a football game. None the less, this is the most iconic image that comes to mind of a quarterback wearing number 12.

image.jpg

Football:

What's overrated about Brady? His stats would suggest otherwise. Namath, Stabler and Bradshaw definitely have received more credit than deserved and benefited from being on really good teams.

Football:

What's overrated about Brady? His stats would suggest otherwise. Namath, Stabler and Bradshaw definitely have received more credit than deserved and benefited from being on really good teams.

And Brady didn't win those titles with the help of the defense? Brady was half of the QB back then than he is now. The Patriots did not win because of him. He gets way too much credit.

Considering the team sucked before Brady got there, yes he was good and is a reason why they won those Super Bowls, Rodney Harrison, Matt light, Kevin Faulk, Adam vinitieri, Troy brown, David patten, tedy bruschi, Ty law, and some others being just as big of reasons. And by your own admission tom brady has only gotten better, breaking multiple records, 18-1 season, and 2 more Super Bowl appearances since then. And then this past year where he took a very young injured team to the AFC championship, when everyone else said they were probably not even going to make the playoffs.

considering every possible thread in this entire forum is constantly clevejacked to discuss uniforms of cleveland sports teams, how is it that an actual thread about cleveland sports uniforms has devolved into an argument about if tom brady owns the number 12?

TOMJACKED!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Considering the team sucked before Brady got there, yes he was good and is a reason why they won those Super Bowls, Rodney Harrison, Matt light, Kevin Faulk, Adam vinitieri, Troy brown, David patten, tedy bruschi, Ty law, and some others being just as big of reasons. And by your own admission tom brady has only gotten better, breaking multiple records, 18-1 season, and 2 more Super Bowl appearances since then. And then this past year where he took a very young injured team to the AFC championship, when everyone else said they were probably not even going to make the playoffs.

Yes I admit he is a hall of famer. Fine. No argument there. But my point is why does Brady get a free pass when he has not been very clutch recently? When they won, it was all because of him. Now when they lose, it's because he doesn't have anyone around him. You can't have it both ways.

But anyway, the Cavaliers uniforms should stay as is and Lebron should wear 23 or 6.

When they won, it was all because of him. Now when they lose, it's because he doesn't have anyone around him.

That is every QB in today's NFL.

LOL what? Other than when talking about the absolute top QBs, the Qb usually takes an unfair amount of blame for a team's failings. In some cases (Flacco for example) the QB isn't even credited as contributing to a big win.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

When they won, it was all because of him. Now when they lose, it's because he doesn't have anyone around him.

LOL what? Other than when talking about the absolute top QBs, the Qb usually takes an unfair amount of blame for a team's failings. In some cases (Flacco for example) the QB isn't even credited as contributing to a big win.

You're right, BBTV, I just should have said that it is not exclusive to Brady.

No, pretty much only Brady and Peyton get that kind of treatment from the media. The fawning and excuse-making is even worse when it comes to Peyton, honestly.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Yeah. With the exceptions of the teams with the top few QBs, the most overrated guy among just about every fan base is the backup QB.

That is my contribution to this thread's "triple digression". So...trying to bring it back.

Brady is good, but 12 is a number with too many great QBs for it to be "Brady's."

Some guys are known by their numbers. LeBron and Kobe (and others) changing numbers probably waters their own brand down some.

So what number will LeBron wear in Cleveland? 23? 6? 32?

And, what will the uniforms that the number is stitched into look like? This year, they'll look the same (unless they can weasel in some throwbacks, etc.) but what about after that? I love the current minimalist uniforms (and the lack of white on the road) and I hope they keep 'em.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Brady is good, but 12 is a number with too many great QBs for it to be "Brady's."

For 99.9% of players/numbers, it is regional. Brady is #12 in Boston, but in NY, it is Namath. #34 is Barkley in Philadelphia, but in Houston, it is Olajuwon. Even for people that claim Jerry Rice "owns" #80, I think football fans in Seattle would say otherwise.

Archived